Anyone used plasti dip?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my hood,cab,running boards and fenders on the truck. On my car front spoiler,side mirrors,halo, and rear fascia. As previously stated, do many coats, it's way easier to remove. If your good with the gun, I would go that way. It came off easier on the Vette because it's waxed a lot, the truck is a flat coat and it took a little more work. I love it on my mirrors to keep the bugs and rock chips off them. Some people use it for a temporary front bra when doing road trips, there're many ways to play and use it. Just practice and enjoy, sorry for the long story. L8R DFLASH
Old 01-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Teching In

WOW Thanks guys for all the pics and info. I will be testing on some wheels I have laying around this weekend, will post pics up before n after.

Oh yeah B.B.C that Topaz is crazy
Old 01-22-2013, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tikiman12
so scrubbing from washing it and general everyday wear and tear done effect it much? How do you remove it when you want it off?
You peel it off. Like when doing the windows I taped up pretty much all of it minus a 3 inch thick strip. Reason for this is that the plasti-dip will peel off with a super straight edge if done right. Same for the lights.

I use a brush with a handle that is pretty soft to wash that only. I haven't seen any ill effects or peeling. It's been out in the elements with rain, snow, ice, sand, etc. It's done well. I went from a white hood/driver fender and the rest being a hunter green to the entire thing being flat black. I love it and ironically get compliments on it all the time. LOL

Originally Posted by JMAC
WOW Thanks guys for all the pics and info. I will be testing on some wheels I have laying around this weekend, will post pics up before n after.

Oh yeah B.B.C that Topaz is crazy
Just remember to use it like regular spray paint. Light thin coats are better than thick ones. At first you may think it's going to look very "leopard like" but just keep adding more coats. Again, 5 was the sweet spot for my car but again, it depends on the color. Just be sure to wash it good with a degreaser like Dawn or an APC mixed into a car wash soap. Also be VERY sure the entire thing is completely dry. Good luck and let me know if you need any help.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DFLASH those are both beautiful rides! Love that truck!

btw thats a really good idea for long road trips...toss a strip across the front and peel it off when you get home
Old 01-22-2013, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

may do my whole ride as well. maybe
Old 01-22-2013, 11:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WS6nTX

btw thats a really good idea for long road trips...toss a strip across the front and peel it off when you get home
Thanks,it's running a new 383 stroker in it for now. Picking it up tomorrow,had some FATMAN drop spindles installed. Trying to find a very reasonable body man that works with these old metal cars, and then it's going to be grabber blue . L8R DFLASH
Old 01-23-2013, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jdoyle
may do my whole ride as well. maybe
Holla atcha boy if you have questions.

- Also there is Plasti Dip glossifier for those that don't want the flat color appearance.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:04 PM
12 Second Club

It looks pretty blotchy, It would have turned out a lot better with a spray gun. They sell kits with electric sprayers and plastidip by the gallon.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Default plasti Dip

OK guys I've tried it on some wheels I had laying around and I like it. I think I will do my race wheels n my astro van. Here is pics

Before

After 2nd Coat

After 4th Coat

Finished Product

I think I will change the nuts to chrome or polish and put some 17in drag radials on these now and use them
Old 01-24-2013, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lt197formula
Holla atcha boy if you have questions.

- Also there is Plasti Dip glossifier for those that don't want the flat color appearance.
will do.

remember this guy?

Old 01-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Wheels look so diffrent with the dip.. Looks killer.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bill12690
For the most part it will peel off. I've messed around with it, my buddy did some on his car... I'll have to see if I can find a pic of it.
I see you're from Orange, Tx also. Think you were next to me one day while I was driving my turbo camaro.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

I sense a PlastiDip CETA mod in my near future. I already have the sprayer that's in the video.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Morfias4Twenty
Wheels look so diffrent with the dip.. Looks killer.

Thanks, I hated those wheels before now I'm looking for some 17in tires to put on them also I'll be changing those nuts out to chrome or polish ones.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I guess im going to be the only hater, i used it on wheels and hated it. the videos make it look smooth but its not smooth it has a texture, like bedliner, only good thing is u dont have to do any prep work, ill stick to sanding and using the dupli color cans
Old 02-04-2013, 03:30 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6nTX

DITTO!!! Looks ****!

I have been wanting to plasti-dip the centers on my TT2's for a while, after recently seeing a friend do his whole back bumper on his vette, and some of your all photos, I'm def doing this to my car on my next days off!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Before:
Anyone used plasti dip?-lbuwrp3.jpg
During:
Anyone used plasti dip?-hoihw0al.jpg
After:
Anyone used plasti dip?-mdokilcl.jpg
Anyone used plasti dip?-ejrmcv4l.jpg

Hope this helps as to an idea of how it would look
Old 02-04-2013, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bought a couple of cans of Plasti-Dip today and I put one can to use:

Also was testing out the "HDR-mode" on my phone's camera. It's meh, but it did alot of auto-correcting due to the bad lighting which saved me from having to do it, so IDGAF.
I'll likely do the mirrors tomorrow.

Ps- I washed the car prior to pics... but it doesn't really show That's what I get for rushing it.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:47 AM
Teching In

I did some black fender stripes on my black tbss, because the dip is flat black.

One thing I would say that I wish I would of known is test how the tape is removed. I test sprayed some before moving to the paint. But I did not see how the dip reacts when your peeling the tape. In my project I needed smooth consistent lines on flat surface...I learned the hard way lol

So just put a a few strips of tape down spray over them and every minute or so peel off a tape section. This will show you how long or little you have to wait after you spray. For me the faster I pulled the tape the better, as long as it didn't run lol
Old 02-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Teching In

^

Quick Reply: Anyone used plasti dip?