West Texas Oil Field advice for a young man

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default West Texas Oil Field advice for a young man

I am 21 and about to make a move to the oil fields. and could use some advice. Funny that I have found the best oil threads on a car forum.

I live in Florida and the economy has been terrible since high school. I like working with my hands and have worked in construction doing painting and heating and air work. I also enjoy working on my Honda and have changed engines, installed turbos, etc. My Dad (He's from Tx and Okla) suggested the oil fields might be a good way to get my start.

We have done a lot of research and I know it will be hard work and lots of hours. I am ready. I am ambitious and while the money is important, I am more interested in getting the best training possible and learn the business.

My questions are:

1. What companies offer the best training? I hear Halliburton is good. Any others?

2. I know I can't be picky but which jobs are the best to start in. Cement? Fracking?

3. A CDL is supposed to be a ticket for a job, but I hear some companies will train. I don't have one. My Dad suggested I look for ways to make my application a little better than the other entry level guys. We came up with OSHA training (is the OSHA 10 the certificate to get?), a CPR certificate, and a CDL learners permit. Is this worthwhile? Anything else I can do to get my foot in the door?

4. I am leaning towards Midland. I have an uncle there I have never met but I should be able to get some guidance from him. Any other suggestions?

Your help is appreciated
Old 02-18-2013, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

Halliburton trains you to get a cdl and permits if you start fracking. pay sucks to begin with but you have to start somewhere...and get ready for 70-100hrs a week..makes up for low pay...i almsot worked there but turned it down due to the drive and pay a few years back.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:24 AM

south texas, south of (san antoino) is where it's booming the hardest. you might check with chesapeake. its really hard to find good workers down here. most companys
bring people in from out of state. chesapeake owns alot of companys ptl (fracing)
great plains (tool rental) nomac (drilling) ots (trucking) hoges (rig moving). the
list goes on and on lol. sure they would have something you could do, and they will
give you all your training even if you already have it.

word of advise fracing isnt what you would want to start off doing, plus all it takes is
one retard to kill everyone.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:54 AM
TECH Addict

If you want the training, I'd go with Halliburton or Schlumberger. Hydraulic fracturing isn't that bad, you just have to be ready to work long days (sometimes 24's) and through most holidays. West Texas isn't too bad and right now would be a good time to go work there since it'll be warming up soon. Working in extreme heat is usually preferred over working in extreme cold. Doesn't really matter where you start, as long as you get your foot in the door. That's the hardest part. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:16 AM
Teching In

I am 21 just moved to midland and just started in the oil field, CDL is the ticket. Money is great and to start at a age like ours is the best way. Its all about meeting people
Old 02-19-2013, 04:54 PM

Were you able to get on with someone that trained you for the CDL?
I'm getting a learners permit in a few days, then a hazmat certificate after that. Will that help?
Was it hard to get the job?
Old 02-19-2013, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many follicle test, so stop now if you smoke or do any other drugs. You should start off by getting your TWIC card and a CDL is a big plus too.

CDM is/was hiring. $18 an hour starting and $150 a day per diem.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Banned

This may help you. I work for Schlumberger D&M out of the Midland,Tx office. I am a SR Directional Driller. If your looking into the oil field and want to make some real money and don't mind working then you need to get a job as a MWD ( Measurement while drilling.) Starting off they make 80-100K first year training.
Do you have a degree?You don't have to have one but it does help. The oil field is where the money is. Just hope you like to work a lot.

Schlumberger is a great company though. Great benefits and take care of their employees. I live in Baton Rouge,La and they fly me to go to work for a few days a month. Let me know if I can help you out in anyway. Goodluck.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

Glad to see a fellow DD on here. I got my directional start with a big company (Baker Hughes). That's what a lot of guys do. MWD's make some good money starting out from what I hear. Just don't plan on seeing the house much.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:54 PM

Drug tests won't be a problem. I've never seen anyone mention a TWIC card. From what I can see it is primarily for maritime use. But if it could help, I'm in.

I have heard stories of people filling out dozens of job applications on the Halliburton site and never getting an interview. What is the key?

I don't have a cdl (the apparent key to an oilfield job) and the 5k cost to get one makes it unlikely. I need a company that will pay for my cdl traiining.

We (my Dad and I) decided I needed to find a way to make my online application a little different than the most of the others. We decided that getting a CDL learners permit, OSHA certification, CPR certification and now a TWIC card (if that can help) to show the recruiter that this guy is serious about the job and doing all he can to land the job. . . . . Is this valid thinking?

Fafonfoe - you have a great job and I want a job with a company that can train a young man with ambition and drive to be able to land that job one day. What companies should I consider besides Halliburton. Which entry level jobs should I shoot for? Are MWD jobs considered entry level?

But most importantly - Tell me what the criteria the recruiters use to determine whether to send a rejection letter or invite for an interview?

If this fails I will head to the fields and start knocking on doors.

Thanks for your help
Old 02-19-2013, 11:02 PM
Teching In

i do not have a CDL actually i just dispatch for a Wenzel downhole, MWD (Movie watching Dude).
Old 02-19-2013, 11:33 PM
Banned

Look in the oil field its all about who you know. You really should look into starting out as MWD. Not sure about baker but Schlumberger has really good tools and also own pathfinder. I used to be Schlumberger MWD trainer about 6 years ago before I went directional. MWD is a great place to start in the field. Start making right at 100K training and go up to over 300K depending where you go from MWD. If you need help toward the right place let me know, you can even use me as a ref.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly you should come down to South Texas. I live in Corpus Christi. I am not in the oil business but know a ton of people who are. Tons of places hiring down here. I would be in there right now if it wasnt for trying to get a degree first...
Old 02-20-2013, 10:10 AM
Teching In

MWD is the way to go. Start young and bust you butt while you're single. If you can work your way to a DD, directional driller, they make a killing. $850-$950 a day plus expenses , salary and per diem. My buddy is at Halliburton in midland running the motor shop, he says they are slammed. I build Smart well completion tools for Halliburton and we are slammed also
Old 02-20-2013, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

Also, a CDL is simple to get in TX. I got the book free from the drivers license place and studied a chapter and then tested on it the next day. I passed and then did the same thing. I think to get your permit you have to have general knowledge and combinations done on the same day but after that just pick a chapter or 2 and study then take practice tests online or get on YouTube and review further. Then I rented an automatic truck and 28' trailer from cdlhelp.net and they showed me the route that the dot people are going to take and go over backing up and parking with you. I got my CDL in a week for less than 500$ total. That's truck rental and getting my license changed and renewed.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:50 PM

I couldn't find anything like cdlhelp.com in Florida. Got a lead today on a guy with a trucking co that is able to get cdl's for his new drivers in the $500 range. That might be the ticket.

Fafonfoe and derrickman - Where are the best places to pursue the MWD.Which companies. What is the starting point.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

An MWD career can be tricky. You can be the top dog at your company but if you decide to change companies then you have to start over because the software is different. So wherever you go then plan on being there long enough to get a DD position. It's far easier to transition to another company if you are a DD because the math is universal. Even if they run a rotary steerable assembly it is still simple. (My 4yr old can run a rotary steerable)I'd start with the big 3-baker schlumberger Halliburton. You have to know someone to hire on as a trainee with a small company. Small companies always pay better than big companies.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:27 AM
Teching In

Do you guys know if there are any jobs for geologists? I got my M.S. last summer. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

The Texas panhandle has several oil companies also, ConocoPhillips, Vallero. I have several friends who work or have worked as operators at these two companies. The pay is good and the people I know tht have worked there had no experience and the companies trained them.