Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man talk about Disgruntled
Old 06-17-2013, 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I've sent him just about all of you guys responses, I think he's considering the Operator program that one of the CC is offering. I told him he could work on cars and engines on his off days and have fun with it.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I went ahead and put my money where my mouth is. When I started this thread I was visiting a friend of mine in Houston who is a Operator at Phillps66 in Bay City. Well she helped convince me to look for Operations jobs, and I recently enrolled at a PTECH program here in New Orleans to help that process. My brother also enrolled so i'm really happy he followed my lead. When he read all of the posts that you guys sent he changed his mind, and I really think for the better. Now I just gotta make sure he doesn't spend all the money he'll eventually make on cars. Thanks fellaz, couldn't ask for better comments.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:37 AM
Staging Lane

It's cool to get an update and I hope everything works out for both of you.

I was like, "I remember this thread" when I saw it pop back up..
Old 07-11-2014, 07:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I work at Phillips 66 and wish I would have stuck to cars. Money isn't everything and if you love it and apply yourself, you can make bank in any field.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Money isn't everything but I'd rather have it and not need then need and not have it. I went to undergrad and grad, and if I could do it all over again I would have found a PTECH program instead of getting my MBA. I've done pretty good but I just It could have been better if someone was there to give me a plan. What I'm trying to do with my lil bro, is just help optimize his time and money making ability before he has a family and his options are limited.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackedOut LS1
Money isn't everything but I'd rather have it and not need then need and not have it. I went to undergrad and grad, and if I could do it all over again I would have found a PTECH program instead of getting my MBA. I've done pretty good but I just It could have been better if someone was there to give me a plan. What I'm trying to do with my lil bro, is just help optimize his time and money making ability before he has a family and his options are limited.
That is very understandable. My families happiness is the reason I work a job where the only notable reward is the capital gain. It is not a bad job at all but I would be much hapier doing what I love. Thatt is why I will probably always do it on the side. Good luck to you and your little brother.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:31 PM
TECH Regular

I say let him chase his dreams... Just make sure he knows its going to be alot of hard work, and if he fails, he fails, its a part of life.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

This dude dreams alright! I feel a great paying job helps fund your dreams also, chasing dreams broke can be disastrous mentally, and physically. When perceptions don't meet reality you have a problem. I've met tons of operators,'I haven't heard one complain about the work, hours, anything. And you know plants are full of resourceful people. Those boys hunt, fish, work on cars, cook I mean they do it up.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:02 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Worked for a dealership and got burned out. Screw that. I rather keep what I do to a hobby.

Quick Reply: HELP, my younger brother wants to go to UTI and be a mechanic