Another starting issue...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Another starting issue...

Hey all, some of you may remember I recently had an issue with the VATS on my formula. It turned out I need to do the resister mod. I did and it started fine... Untill today. The car is doing the same thing, but for one difference. As with last time I put the key in the ignition and the accessories came on but the car wouldn't crank. however this time the security light doesn't blink at me. It comes in at first with all the other dash lights, then goes off. I finally got it started after a dozen or so tries.
If it isn't VATS related what could it be? I've also had a problem sometimes where when starting the car it just cranks and cranks for like 6-8 secs before starting. But no security light then either. Could it be related? Any help would be great. All my searches go back to the VATS, but without the security light I'm not sure that's it.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a thread with instructions to test starter relay, and starter. Cant find it now, but Basically pulling starter relay and using a volt meter checking for power at the 12 volt supply, it was there. Then I used a jumper wire from the 12 volt post by the relay boxes to the 12 volt supply to starter at relay socket terminal ??? I can't remember which number female plug it was. (if you have manual tranny, put it neutral). Starter will try to turn over, obviously won't start since fuel is not being supplied, but starter will try to turn over. this let me know that starter was working, you can try another relay and see if fixes. Or at least be pointed in a different direction for troubleshooting.

Quick Reply: Another starting issue...