how to budget build a car

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how to budget build a car

I have been reading a ton on budgeting. The wife and I are trying to make a budget for monthly expenses. How do other people do it. I work a lot out of town and its all overtime money. I just use that on my car. What do others do?
Old 09-29-2013, 11:02 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Income tax.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Collect a little at a time and stalk the classifieds for good deals
Old 09-29-2013, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Default Budget build

Cash flow build, Craigslist for parts and haggle price.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

My day job pays my bills and I make money on the side by working on cars, Buying and sellings cars/Parts. Thats what pays for my race cars, toys and Vacations.

Last edited by Bad Chad; 09-30-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:03 AM
9 Second Club

I get what I can when I can. I work a lot out of town too. H3ll I'm in Detroit right now at work at the end of my shift. Last time I came here I got some parts and got an extra bag from a thrift store to bring them home in. The hardest part is finding time to work on my car.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
My day job pays my bills and I make money on the side by working on cars, Buying and sellings cars/Parts. Thats what pays for my race cars, toys and Vacations.
This... and if you do it like this you will get where you don't even want a damn car.LOL That will only last a while though.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Takes time and patience...set your goals for the car then start buying parts a few at a time. Whatever you do don't change directions 10times...this devastates a budget and extends the build (so many people make this mistake). Classifieds are a must for a budget build. Few cars I've had over the years took a couple of years each to build...be patient it pays off. GL
Old 09-30-2013, 08:56 AM
11 Second Club

Credit cards and a lot of them.. lol Jk man...

Are you just asking what ppl do on making a budget?
Or are you curious to know how ppl put car parts in their budget?
Me personally, this is what I do

I pay myself first( put money in savings)
Second I pay bills
Then I keep money for the groceries,gas and everyday stuff you need
Then with the money left over I blow it on the **** I don't need( go fast parts) lol
Never build a car with credit cards or loans..

Ps.. you should get to know Dave Ramsey
Old 09-30-2013, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

I'm with EDub.
First and foremost get out of debt (The Dave Ramsey way)
Second:First job pays the bills
Third:Second job pays for the toys and when I say second job I mean dope dealer, pimp or hustler
Old 09-30-2013, 09:31 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

1. Plan the entire build. Be realistic with power goals and your budget. Find proven combos of parts that work together, as a complete system. Don't just wander aimlessly and buy random parts, cobbling things together. Define the plan and stick to it.
2. Don't waste money buying **** that doesn't fit your plan.
3. If you haven't yet, learn to work on your own car. Be a man, own a nice set of tools. This hobby is more enjoyable and affordable when you can diagnose and repair issues yourself. Plus, you'll never get put on the back-burner waiting list with shops, if you can do it yourself.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Nine ball nailed it. Do everything yourself. And above all no credit cards! I only use xtra ot or money I might get selling parts I dont need. Patience
Old 09-30-2013, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start with no money and put all the money you have into it.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:07 PM
TECH Regular

Another tip to help get 'er done...Don't buy another money pit for a daily driver. If there's absolutely no aftermarket or reason to open the hood that's what you drive to work. All of my stuff is something unique and powerful, but I never get anything finished I just keep putting something into everything.

Vernon
Old 05-26-2015, 02:19 AM
Teching In

Find a group of friends who are interested in cars and make sure everyone chips in for something
like if you know a guy who knows wiring let help him help you wire
if you know a person who is great with welding let him weld you get the idea and soon enough youll have to fight over who gets to drive the car
Old 05-26-2015, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 84Mercedesguy
Find a group of friends who are interested in cars and make sure everyone chips in for something
like if you know a guy who knows wiring let help him help you wire
if you know a person who is great with welding let him weld you get the idea and soon enough youll have to fight over who gets to drive the car
Holy old post revival LOL. Wonder if the OP built him a car or not???

In my case, I've done pretty much all my upgrades buying used stuff online. I've bought whole cars that had a lot of good parts in a pretty bad shape car for pretty cheap and parted them out to make extra money for go fast stuff.

Hell I don't even recall at this point the few parts that I've purchased brand new from a business for my car other than AFCO shocks and maybe new bearings/rings and stuff.

I could probably build another car as fast as my current race car for around $15k if I had to piece it mostly together, or just buy a complete car for that LOL.

But as Tony aka Nineball said earlier, learn how to work on your own stuff. You don't get anywhere by paying people to do stuff unless you are already "somewhere" in life. But lets face it, if you were "somewhere" you wouldn't be asking how to budget a race car build LOL. Welcome to our world where the cars are fast and the pocket books are empty!
Old 05-26-2015, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nine ball nailed it. Hunt crags list, tech,eBay etc. Buy good parts so you don't have to buy them twice. Must know what you want the car to do to have an efficient build. Do it right the first time and don't cut corners. Cutting corners will cost double or more in the end. My wife was on board with our build so we stopped going out to eat as much. Frivolous spending adds up quick.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:45 AM

Craigslist for parts and haggle price.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:30 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

You probably wont have much luck if you respond to two year old classifieds ads as well...
Old 06-23-2015, 12:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by White90GT
Holy old post revival LOL. Wonder if the OP built him a car or not???

In my case, I've done pretty much all my upgrades buying used stuff online. I've bought whole cars that had a lot of good parts in a pretty bad shape car for pretty cheap and parted them out to make extra money for go fast stuff.

Hell I don't even recall at this point the few parts that I've purchased brand new from a business for my car other than AFCO shocks and maybe new bearings/rings and stuff.

I could probably build another car as fast as my current race car for around $15k if I had to piece it mostly together, or just buy a complete car for that LOL.

But as Tony aka Nineball said earlier, learn how to work on your own stuff. You don't get anywhere by paying people to do stuff unless you are already "somewhere" in life. But lets face it, if you were "somewhere" you wouldn't be asking how to budget a race car build LOL. Welcome to our world where the cars are fast and the pocket books are empty!
Yeah im vary thankful for Craigslist and swap meets because if it wasn't for that id probably be a 100 grand in det

Quick Reply: how to budget build a car