SO much for the oilfield!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 04:03 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pearland (a suburb of Houston located about 15 miles South) is absolutely booming. I believe the medical industry is at the helm regarding economics out here.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:04 AM
8 Second Truck Club

....problem is I'm not a Dr.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
Pearland (a suburb of Houston located about 15 miles South) is absolutely booming. I believe the medical industry is at the helm regarding economics out here.
The Baby Boomers are getting old. The medical industry won't be slowing down anytime soon. If I ever decide to make a career change, it might be in that direction.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Medical, technology, more general commercial stuff and construction all seems to be doing pretty well.

A buddy just bought one of those new condo looking houses in Houston they build in place of old factories and ****. He said he paid about half a million and the whole block was sold before it was finished being built.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That makes me feel much better about what I paid for ten acres and a new house. It is crazy what **** costs. I couldn't be paid to live in Houston but we all know what opinions are like.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blackonblacksls
Medical, technology, more general commercial stuff and construction all seems to be doing pretty well.

A buddy just bought one of those new condo looking houses in Houston they build in place of old factories and ****. He said he paid about half a million and the whole block was sold before it was finished being built.

Yeap, there building so many of those 3-4 story looking condos inside the inner loop , a lot of them are own by young people even early and mid 20s.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by roushstagetwo
Yeap, there building so many of those 3-4 story looking condos inside the inner loop , a lot of them are own by young people even early and mid 20s.
Yeah my buddy isn't even 30 yet..
Old 02-15-2016, 02:36 AM
8 Second Truck Club

What I'm trying to figure out is how these people (inner loop, mid-town, just north of 610 which would heights/garden oaks/oak forest) area) are able to afford these outrageous prices.

The amount of people in Houston that live in 600+k dollar houses blows my mind. What do all these people do?
Old 02-15-2016, 04:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

They don't do **** but go to work and home because they spend all there money on an edge of life mortgage.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What I'm trying to figure out is how these people (inner loop, mid-town, just north of 610 which would heights/garden oaks/oak forest) area) are able to afford these outrageous prices.

The amount of people in Houston that live in 600+k dollar houses blows my mind. What do all these people do?
Went to school.

Got educated.

Got a job and worked consistently since then.

My buddy is in sales. Worked for a few different software and computer companies selling **** to big companies..

Think about all the money we missed out on sitting at the house between jobs??
Old 02-15-2016, 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by codyvette
They don't do **** but go to work and home because they spend all there money on an edge of life mortgage.
I might believe that if I didn't know better.

Most of the people I know with expensive houses, have an expensive car to go along with it. And spend their time traveling and treating themselves.

Granted you never really know anyone's financial situation.

But it's obvious they aren't sitting at home worried about making mortgages and payments.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Some people are just lucky. Or born with money , family business, or just luck, period. I have an uncle that lives in lost Angeles, he worked for this old guy for years well that guy give him a house in downtown Los Angeles, is a huge house. This was back in the late 80s that house is easily worth in the millions.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:09 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by blackonblacksls
Went to school.

Got educated.

Got a job and worked consistently since then.

My buddy is in sales. Worked for a few different software and computer companies selling **** to big companies..

Think about all the money we missed out on sitting at the house between jobs??
Well,

I went to school

Got educated

For the most part worked consistantly. I've been out of college now for 10 years. Of those 10 years, I've probably spend a cumulative 5-6 months without my regular income. If I looked at my life style and considered that those 5-6 months of no income didn't happen, I still would have not made a large enough impact that I could live in a 600k+ house with 1500k/mo in car notes and still have money left over to enjoy life. There is a caveat to that statement though, as I expressed earlier.........my 10 working career that I've had since being out of college has been filled with stupid financial situations. Most of which, I wasn't aware of. I just didn't know any better as my real life financial education has come from the school of hard knocks. I've never had anyone give me pointers/education/direction on how to live my life financially. And here is the STUPIDEST thing of all, I have a ******* finance degree from UofH. Major flaw in our education system.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finance degree from Texas State here. Not a day goes by that I dont kick myself for not investing enough time and effort when picking a major/what I am going to do for the rest of my life around the end of high school. Wish I could go back and do it all over again. Engineering all the way.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Finance Degree from Texas State here also. I just never settled for bullshit pay and kept leveraging every experience to get further up the chain and making more. However, I'll agree with the previous guy that I made a ton of dumbass mistakes, even when living within my means. Now I live well below my means (don't let the ZL1 fool you) and am trying to make up for lost time.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody out in west Texas with a descent job tittle that could get me moving?! I've got a couple of vacuum trucks, trash trailer, winch truck.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:38 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We should start a thread helping people get work. ��
Old 02-23-2016, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

I was laid off in October (oilfield) but was smart enough to stash all my pennies when it was booming (2011-2014) in savings and smart small investments. I'm still living off of some of my savings but am about to lease out my current house and toss 30k down on a smarter (smaller) house in nw Houston. I still have my toys (paid for) but guys keep in mind I literally lived in the man camps and sleeper berth of the company truck for the past 5 years stashing every penny away and staying away from home for as much as 8 months straight at a time! this took a lot of discipline but now I can chill and enjoy hitting the gym 6 days a week and sleeping in, as well as dumping money in my Z etc and going out on race nights. Those were the things I missed out on while I was working 110+ hours a week. As far as I'm concerned though once the oilfield does pick back up I'm not going back.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hmmm, glad at this point I ended up NOT entering the oilfields a little over 3 years ago when I was trying like hell and ended up going back to college instead.

I'll be finished with my Process Technology degree this year and a BS in Industrial Management with a Process Operations specialty next year. Not really what I want to do with my life, but the pay is ridiculous and the work is largely unaffected by the oil and gas sector downturn despite it being the petrochemical industry. However it will afford me a real income for the first time in my life, and that will allow me the capital needed to start the company one day that I've been working towards since last year.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Having another round of layoffs at my company. Keeping the head ducked down.

Quick Reply: SO much for the oilfield!!!