Question for those of you that work in the refineries

Old 10-14-2015, 09:18 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question for those of you that work in the refineries

I'm curious if the machine shops in these Refineries sub contract out machine work? I'm the sales manager at a rather large Machine shop in Houston and often wondered how much these places sub out.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

We do most of our own here at Phillips 66 in Sweeny. We have a full machine shop and plenty of machinists. Well, that's what they call themselves anyway.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:12 PM
8 Second Club

We have some pretty big equipment suited for big valves and what not. I figured these places must farm out work in one capacity or another. You have any idea who makes that call? or "what person" makes that call?
Old 10-14-2015, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

There is not one specific person but it is literally not enough outsourced work to make it worth while. The last thing I saw go out was a set of aluminum connecting rods from an ancient POS recip. It probably wasn't $200 worth of machine work.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:51 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ExxonMobil Baytown- has a full machine shop here, but work is often sub'd out because of time constraints a lot of times. Since its a Co. run a lot of times they get backed up so if you need something faster etc... It goes to an outside source. Most of the units Mechanical dept.'s make those calls on who does what for them although I'm sure the places are already company approved etc... I'm in operations and couldn't tell you who you need to call to be an approved contractor machine shop etc... I'm guessing your just going to have to call and start asking around for someone to help you get on the list. GL!
Old 10-15-2015, 07:52 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Inspector12
ExxonMobil Baytown- has a full machine shop here, but work is often sub'd out because of time constraints a lot of times. Since its a Co. run a lot of times they get backed up so if you need something faster etc... It goes to an outside source. Most of the units Mechanical dept.'s make those calls on who does what for them although I'm sure the places are already company approved etc... I'm in operations and couldn't tell you who you need to call to be an approved contractor machine shop etc... I'm guessing your just going to have to call and start asking around for someone to help you get on the list. GL!
Thanks. I figured some of the larger places had to sub out with the amount of activity going on. Car looked great at TI by the way. It seemed to be doing quite well.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what does it take for someone to get a machinist position at one of the refineries or oscs's machine shop? I have a degree in finance and am currently employed using my degree but i feel that i would get more satisfaction from my work by working with a tangible object.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:36 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by jdoyle
what does it take for someone to get a machinist position at one of the refineries or oscs's machine shop? I have a degree in finance and am currently employed using my degree but i feel that i would get more satisfaction from my work by working with a tangible object.
Right now? Nothing. The city is dead! You need experience man. take a class and go take a job making squat. Its not easy to just jump in.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

Easy. Just be related to someone in a prestigious position around here. If that doesn't happen that way it is really up in the air. Phillips just hired out of a military pool and while I am all for supporting our veterans, it didn't make for skilled craftsman. Next go around it may be back to cousins, in-laws, and Outlaws. Just keep putting your name in the hat and be diligent.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:29 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by codyvette
Easy. Just be related to someone in a prestigious position around here. If that doesn't happen that way it is really up in the air. Phillips just hired out of a military pool and while I am all for supporting our veterans, it didn't make for skilled craftsman. Next go around it may be back to cousins, in-laws, and Outlaws. Just keep putting your name in the hat and be diligent.
Key to any good salesmen! Guess its time to make some phone calls.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just mill & lathe work, or do you also do laser cutting, cnc plasma, press brake, etc?

We outsource lots of work, but usually outside Houston because we can't (won't) compete with what oil field companies are willing to pay.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:49 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by twinturbo496
Just mill & lathe work, or do you also do laser cutting, cnc plasma, press brake, etc?

We outsource lots of work, but usually outside Houston because we can't (won't) compete with what oil field companies are willing to pay.
We are turn key. We either A use local shops or use our sister companies in Wisconsin. We have laser/fab/friction welding/stamping and your standard machine capabilities. Who do you work for?
Old 10-20-2015, 03:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

MCFA Hammerly & BW8
Old 10-20-2015, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not certain who we use at the plant, but I can find out. That's if we even sub contract the work out. Similar to Inspector12, I also work in operations so I don't know much about the machine shop.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:26 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by oscs
Thanks. I figured some of the larger places had to sub out with the amount of activity going on. Car looked great at TI by the way. It seemed to be doing quite well.
At TI I was doing some testing on a few things that have been bugging me and it was consistently getting faster, and it did perform well just not consistent enough to do that well as far as wins, but thanks for noticing. TI will humble just about anyone anyways. Learned that almost from the start lol!
Sorry not more help on the plant work. This place is like a three ring circus and I never really know who to tell ppl to call etc... GL!
Old 10-22-2015, 09:02 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by charlie_gonzales
I'm not certain who we use at the plant, but I can find out. That's if we even sub contract the work out. Similar to Inspector12, I also work in operations so I don't know much about the machine shop.
Charlie, Please do.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:08 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Inspector12
At TI I was doing some testing on a few things that have been bugging me and it was consistently getting faster, and it did perform well just not consistent enough to do that well as far as wins, but thanks for noticing. TI will humble just about anyone anyways. Learned that almost from the start lol!
Sorry not more help on the plant work. This place is like a three ring circus and I never really know who to tell ppl to call etc... GL!
I can only imagine. I saw that number 12 on the side putting in work though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question for those of you that work in the refineries