New to Texas... Emission laws down here

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 12:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Texas... Emission laws down here

Good afternoon,

I need some help from the local Texans. I'm in the market for a 00-02 SS, and I happened to find one for a reasonable price, with 24k miles. What's interesting is the dealership said the car won't pass emissions in TX. I just moved here from WI, so I'm confused as to what the laws are down here.. From the what I can see in the pictures, the mods are all SLP. Are the laws really that strict down here? Thanks in advance everyone...
Old 02-29-2016, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Welcome to the best place in the US to live! What area did you move to specifically? I ask because the larger metropolitan areas have sniffer tests where they check emissions and the car will have to pass by having all of it's operating systems in good working order. I personally live in a rural area where we don't have to hook up to the tailpipes and they're just checking the major safety components: lights, turn signals, brakes, horn, windshield wipers, tire tread depth, etc. Yes, they are that strict in larger cities in the state and sometimes it tough to get a modified high-performance car to be able to pass. All depends on which county you live in. Bad thing about not passing inspection is that you can't get your vehicle registration and plates until you do that.

Scott
Old 02-29-2016, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Hey Scott,

Of course I'm in the big city, Garland to be specific.. I'm going to look at the car later today, that way I can get a look at what's on it and go from there. As I said it's interesting looking at the pictures and previous paperwork everything was SLP installed which would make it factory. I could have sworn there was some laws that prevented this, but it's been a while since I've been in the car scene. I used to frequent another site, so some may recognize my name from there.

Look forward to getting to know everyone, if all goes as planned I hope to have a LS in the stable soon.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

i know this sucks but a mail order tune for like 150 bucks could turn off anything that would cause trouble . Then it would show fine , unless they do a dyno sniffer test .
Old 02-29-2016, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no, the laws arent that strict.

I bet i know a place that will pass you.

i would use the fact that it wont pass emissions as a bargaining chip.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

95 and down require a sniffer test. 96 and up go by the ECM and check engine lights. They are supposed to visually inspect it for all emissions items, but a lot of shops don't.

Now here is the issue, EVERY dealer has to have the vehicle inspected in order to sell the car. If it's not inspected, that dealer is breaking the law by trying to sell it and will not be able transfer the title. He will likely get your money and then try to make you get the inspection before he will transfer the title.

Unless it's already inspected and he is just being honest for future inspections, I would run from that lot.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:35 PM
Teching In

JC316, they are actually being honest with me. They know my parents have a house in WI, they flat out said they won't sell the car in TX, but she would to me since I have other means to register it. I was just wondering if the laws are really as bad as they sound lol... http://www.auto.com/cars/chevrolet-c...fp22gxy2136781
Old 03-01-2016, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Well this sucks... I thought I had a NBM 2002 SS lined up, until the GM at the dealership made a side deal and failed to tell anyone. Submitted papers and everything, only had 13k on the odometer. UGH, this sucks... I've found a few others, but they are private sellers who are looking to get 21-25k. What's with the sudden push on these bad boys.

I'm trying to keep it lower miles so the abuse on the motor is a little lower. If anyone sees any deals keep me posted. I'm ready to move ASAP...
Old 03-02-2016, 01:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dzydvl
What's with the sudden push on these bad boys.

I'm trying to keep it lower miles so the abuse on the motor is a little lower. If anyone sees any deals keep me posted. I'm ready to move ASAP...
Probably the fact that a couple of them went for stupid prices at Barret Jackson.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:53 AM
Teching In

So what do you gents think a fair price and halfway decent mileage combo would be? I would like to stick below 25k miles if possible, unless I come across something that just can't be passed up.

Price, honestly I don't think anything above 17.5 is realistic, but I'm curious what you guys think. I'm more in the 15-16 range to be honest.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

So what do you gents think a fair price and halfway decent mileage combo would be? I would like to stick below 25k miles if possible, unless I come across something that just can't be passed up.

Price, honestly I don't think anything above 17.5 is realistic, but I'm curious what you guys think. I'm more in the 15-16 range to be honest.

I think you can find one with around 40K miles for the 15-16 range, but a sub 25K mile SS is going to command a huge premium. That puts you squarely into collector territory and I wouldn't be shocked to see them around the 20K range.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Well I ended up finding an 02 SS, and just took her home.... Waiting for admins to release the thread I posted... For some reason it needs moderator approval.

Last edited by Dzydvl; 03-03-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice!
Old 03-06-2016, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

Well I ended up finding an 02 SS, and just took her home.... Waiting for admins to release the thread I posted... For some reason it needs moderator approval.
WoW... that looks brand new.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is an old thread but i'm hoping you'll see this. How are you liking the move so far? My wife and I are considering moving to the DFW area from Milwaukee,WI. I'm somewhat excited because i'll get to drive both of my cars all year round. However, I'm terrified of having to completely uproot my life and leave everyone and everything i know behind. Hopefully its all worth it in the end. I'll love to know your experience so far.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

FWIW I was born in Wauwatosa, grew up in Chicagoland (Cubs Yay!) and moved here around 1980, I dont miss the winters much BUT summers get old!! if you dont mind the heat, sell the snow shovel and saucers! we ocassionally get snow or ice but its gone in few days. plus your car wont rust away before your eyes. One more plus is no state income tax DFW is booming now with Toyota coming to town housing market is way up to what it was 2 years ago, good if selling not so much if your buying
Old 11-29-2016, 08:09 PM
Teching In

welcome to the best state in the country.. TEXAS FOR EVER!!
Old 12-01-2016, 04:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zman1969
FWIW I was born in Wauwatosa, grew up in Chicagoland (Cubs Yay!) and moved here around 1980, I dont miss the winters much BUT summers get old!! if you dont mind the heat, sell the snow shovel and saucers! we ocassionally get snow or ice but its gone in few days. plus your car wont rust away before your eyes. One more plus is no state income tax DFW is booming now with Toyota coming to town housing market is way up to what it was 2 years ago, good if selling not so much if your buying
What a small world. I actually live in Wauwatosa at the moment. I was born and raised in Ghana and spent the first 20 years of my life there so I don't think the dry Texas heat will be an issue for me. As long as i don't have to deal with the frigid Wisconsin weather and 18-inch snowstorms I'm good.

Originally Posted by gixer600
welcome to the best state in the country.. TEXAS FOR EVER!!
Thanks. We're planning on moving in the next couple of months.

Quick Reply: New to Texas... Emission laws down here