Anybody in Irving Area work on LS1's

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anybody in Irving Area work on LS1's

I am trying to get an inspection on my 2000 Firehawk, On the way to the inspection place today a SES light came on. I pulled the Codes and had a PO171 and a PO174 code with a PO507 code pending. I have No Idea what to look for, Car only has 15,000 miles on it. Inspection is Due. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

You have a vacuum leak, probably the PCV hose, on the passenger side of the throttle body.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Found It, Now trying to get all the Monitors to reset...
Old 09-11-2017, 01:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cheetoh
Found It, Now trying to get all the Monitors to reset...
I HATE waiting for the monitors to reset on these cars. My mustangs would be down to 1 incomplete after 10 minutes of driving, but it took forever to reset them on the Fbody. You can use this procedure to speed the process along.

http://www.lyberty.com/car/drive-cycle.html
Old 09-11-2017, 08:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by JC316
I HATE waiting for the monitors to reset on these cars. My mustangs would be down to 1 incomplete after 10 minutes of driving, but it took forever to reset them on the Fbody. You can use this procedure to speed the process along.

http://www.lyberty.com/car/drive-cycle.html
It's a pain in the *** on GM cars. I can get fords from 0 monitors ready to ready for inspection in 10 minutes, sometimes less. GM vehicles take at least an hour of steady driving usually, and sometimes I have to come back to them and drive more the next day.

Some key things that help are starting from a cold start, letting it idle until warm without the a/c on and leaving it in park and not touching the throttle. Drive easy, a/c off, and have between 1/4 and 3/4 tank of fuel when starting the process. The egr (if applicable) goes through under light acceleration, around 10%. Hold a slow accel as long as you can. The cats usually like to go through during steady state highway ish speeds. The theory and operation side of the repair programs used to say to go 55 mph, several GM things i've read said go at least 44 mph. So i'd aim for steady state 50-60 mph driving for as long as you can, around here I usually can't do it for more than a mile or two. If you can rack up a few miles at one time you should be good on the cat. The evap likes to go through from a cold start and with the fuel in 1/4-3/4 range, the 02 heaters like to go through from a cold start or extended idle times. The 02 sensors will usually go through right around the time the cat checks off.

You should be able to pass with 1 not ready, possibly 2. Check with your inspector and also have them check readiness status before attempting to inspect it. Some places will charge you pass or fail and then you have to return to that facility within 2 weeks if you want the free reinspect. If you check the readiness first you can avoid being trapped in that scenario.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
It's a pain in the *** on GM cars. I can get fords from 0 monitors ready to ready for inspection in 10 minutes, sometimes less. GM vehicles take at least an hour of steady driving usually, and sometimes I have to come back to them and drive more the next day.

Some key things that help are starting from a cold start, letting it idle until warm without the a/c on and leaving it in park and not touching the throttle. Drive easy, a/c off, and have between 1/4 and 3/4 tank of fuel when starting the process. The egr (if applicable) goes through under light acceleration, around 10%. Hold a slow accel as long as you can. The cats usually like to go through during steady state highway ish speeds. The theory and operation side of the repair programs used to say to go 55 mph, several GM things i've read said go at least 44 mph. So i'd aim for steady state 50-60 mph driving for as long as you can, around here I usually can't do it for more than a mile or two. If you can rack up a few miles at one time you should be good on the cat. The evap likes to go through from a cold start and with the fuel in 1/4-3/4 range, the 02 heaters like to go through from a cold start or extended idle times. The 02 sensors will usually go through right around the time the cat checks off.

You should be able to pass with 1 not ready, possibly 2. Check with your inspector and also have them check readiness status before attempting to inspect it. Some places will charge you pass or fail and then you have to return to that facility within 2 weeks if you want the free reinspect. If you check the readiness first you can avoid being trapped in that scenario.
Yep. It's always catalyst monitor and EVAP that are the little bitches. It really sucks when there is a problem that's intermittent, so it won't turn off the monitor, but it won't spit the code out either. In my county, 00 and down are two incompletes, 01+ are 1 incomplete.

Quick Reply: Anybody in Irving Area work on LS1's