Process operators

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Process operators

Hello guys,

Im pretty new to the operating field, 2 years, i want to know how is your management side treating yall?

For me its basically bad 9 atta boys will get overwritten by 1 mistake.
How are yall being treated?

Thank you,
Old 10-02-2017, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Same in maintenance on the P66 side of the fence. The sad thing is, these management joker's think they are making good employees out of bad ones. That not easy to do. However the opposite.....
Just be glad the job pays more than we are actually deserving of and get them when you can.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Process Operators

I've worked at a union plant and currently at a non-union plant. The union plant wasn't as operator friendly as the non-union plant. At the union plant there was no management/employee fraternization, which seemed to make it easier to get letters for simple human factor mistakes. At the non-union plant, we seem to get to learn from our mistakes, no letters, unless it's a problem that continually happens or a blatant disregard for safety. My current employer makes us all feel like we are part of the team and can contribute, at the previous place we were just employees that worked there. Not bashing union or non-union places of employment, I liked both places.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Young Engineers with zero people skills by and large running rough shod over guys that have been doing it for decades. They used to be just be bad putting boot marks all over workers as they climbed but the latest crop of fast trackers believe in knives in the back and sell out the lowly workers en masse.

That's what happens when they over hire Engineers and never allow the Engineers accountability by moving them every 2-3 years before their bad skills and decisions catch them in the blow back. It creates GREAT opportunities for the next ones to fix. The cycle goes on and on. Think about some of that when they ask you to do something you know is stupid and failed many times in previous administrations and you feel the need to inform them. Don't save them because they surely won't look out for you.

I've never been union so I can't speak to that side. The best and most promising ones seem to quit and go to other companies. We lost another one last week.

I like my job and most of the people but the double standard of instant discipline for maintenance and operations workers and call it learning experiences for Engineers is nuts.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Everyone has opinions, that's for sure. I know this for a fact: It takes a whole lot of "attaboys" to make up for one "aw ****". Human nature/universal truth and will be the case no matter where you go. Humility and hard work will help you overcome, if you are in a reasonable place. I prefer non-union in general but my only thing is I'm even OK with union as long as they have to earn their dues, not railroad you into paying them involuntarily. Sounds an awful lot like taxes if you ask me.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Everyone hates our management. They are the toxic scum of the plant. Before I got into operations, I always wondered how bad it really could be when I saw or read operators bitching. Now I get it. Non-union plant, now I'm very much in favor of unions, though I have admittedly never been a worker in one before.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for thread jack but any insight on where I should start looking for process operations positions in the pasadena/houston area? Got my degree a couple years ago but never actually put it to good use
Old 02-03-2018, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I just got hired on with Lyondellbasell in Houston at their refinery, there's a lot of openings right now.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How's the pay there?
Old 02-09-2018, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SnIpEz
I just got hired on with Lyondellbasell in Houston at their refinery, there's a lot of openings right now.
O nice i'll definitely check them out

Quick Reply: Process operators