WTF happened to Rock101?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

101.1 KLOL was my favorite radio station and I am f'n pissed that they killed it--------I am Mexican/ American like some of the other members on this board so what is up with all the shitty cracks?
The stuff on this new station isn't from Mexico it's from Beltran's homeland-Puerto Rico

Gilbert
Old 11-12-2004, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i don't care where the new **** is from it sucks
Old 11-12-2004, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Hey guys, I found Clear Channels address. Me and a bunch of other people are trying to get as many people as possible to write or call and complain. It may not end up changing anything, but its all we can do:

CLEAR CHANNEL
Key People
• Chairman: L. Lowry Mays
• President, CEO, and Director: Mark P. Mays
• EVP, CFO, and Director: Randall T. Mays

Address: 200 E. Basse Rd.
San Antonio, TX 78209
Phone: 210-822-2828
Fax: 210-822-2299

Try and get as many people possible to complain, hopefully we can change their mind. I sure hope 34 years of radio history arent about to go down the drain.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CameraMan
Ya'll would be glad to hear that earlier this week, Walton&Johnson got me written up at work! I work in a primarily female work enviroment, and of that, I'm one of the only males, and one of the only whities. Well, Billy-Ed was goin off on some racial spin, I think it was Tuesday, about BET, and why we dont have White-Ent.-Televison....and I was crackin up LOUD, at like 8 oclock in the mornin. Well, this big ( and yes, I know its wrong...but I mean BIG) ol' black lady looks at me, and says "you think that show is funny huh?" as I reply "Well byyyyy Gawd, It's bout as funny as a white man on homestead" Yeah, so she didn't like that, and as the hour went on, I got an email from the Corp. Manager, and was politely told to turn the morhning shows off of my radio, or I'd have to face consequences. In other words. she meant "your white, your loud, and your making fun of everything, quit your your fired" lol
I heard that the other morning. I guess the truth hurts your co-workers' feelings.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

**** rock 101 and Clear Channel, bring back the REAL Houston Rock n Roll Station, the one that rock 101 bought out twice because they stole half of 101's customer base twice, the first time on AM @ 1070 and the second time on FM @ 106.9 ZROCK, or even old school Houston Rock n Roll like 97 rock. But playing nothing but constant commercials from 7-10 Am EVERY ******* Morning gets old quick, you need good Music playing when your in your car driving

Last edited by 02 WS-6; 11-13-2004 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

This **** Really Pisses Me Off. What The **** Is With This Crap? If People Want To Talk Spanish And Listen To Spanish Music They Need To Take Their *** Back To Mexico!!! I'm So Pissed I Don't Even Know What To Say.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:45 PM
bbz
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hawgs
Just what we needed, another "Latino" station to add to the lineup:
KXTJ, Tejano, 107.9 FM
KQQK, Tejano, 106.5 FM
KLTN, Spanish, 102.9 FM
KOVE, Spanish Adult Contemporary, 93.3 FM

5 "latino" channels and 2 rock stations? How does that make sense... I guess it caters better to all the illegal immigrants driving around without insurance.
Leave it to all the rednecks and white trash for al your racist comments. Not all Hispanics drive without insurance and I know alot of whites without insurance as well.

Yea, I'm Hispanic and yea I listened to 101, but don't blame us for the change in radio station formats. Be pissed off all you like but direct your anger to where it belongs...the radio station owners.

And for those that don't like what Texas is "turning into"...don't let the door hit you on the way out. By the way don't forget what Texas originally was.

It's funny how so many people claim that there isn't anymore racism in America, but as soon as things like this happen people's true "colors" finally come out.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bbz
Leave it to all the rednecks and white trash for al your racist comments. Not all Hispanics drive without insurance and I know alot of whites without insurance as well.

Yea, I'm Hispanic and yea I listened to 101, but don't blame us for the change in radio station formats. Be pissed off all you like but direct your anger to where it belongs...the radio station owners.

And for those that don't like what Texas is "turning into"...don't let the door hit you on the way out. By the way don't forget what Texas originally was.

It's funny how so many people claim that there isn't anymore racism in America, but as soon as things like this happen people's true "colors" finally come out.
Nicely put. About the best post of the day in this thread. It almost seems like this post was started to slam hispanics/mexicans. Half the people saying this stuff will smile in a latino persons face at the track.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02 WS-6
**** rock 101 and Clear Channel, bring back the REAL Houston Rock n Roll Station, the one that rock 101 bought out twice because they stole half of 101's customer base twice, the first time on AM @ 1070 and the second time on FM @ 107.5 ZROCK, or even old school Houston Rock n Roll like 97 rock. But playing nothing but constant commercials from 7-10 Am EVERY ******* Morning gets old quick, you need good Music playing when your in your car driving
thats funny cause my brother and me were trying to figure what the hell happend to 1070 the other day. it may of been am but atleast i knew what the hell they were saying
Old 11-12-2004, 10:21 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Talking

i think we need to go and kick someones ***.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

I still love mexican ***** thou!
Old 11-12-2004, 11:15 PM
Launching!

KXTJ, Tejano, 107.9 FM
KQQK, Tejano, 106.5 FM

those are NOT tejano stations anymore....those are ****** backbone, wetback ****...Tejano is TOTALLY different type of music. I remember when they took away KQQK and Super Tejano stations and turned them into that Pepito ****...there was a big outrage in the Tejano music crowd. All you can find is one tejano station on AM. I wish I lived in San Antonio.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:23 PM
Launching!

BTW, its not a Mexican station...
Old 11-13-2004, 12:06 AM
Launching!

Ive lived all over the US and found a good mix of cultures everywhere, but to slam mexicans over a decision some jackasses in another city made because their 'stats' showed them they could make more money isnt cool at all. Its sad the KLOL is gone, I drive for a living and they would be on in my truck about 80-90% of the time, but dont try and pass the buck onto people that had nothing to do with it. We all know who did this, CLEAR CHANNEL and all the BULLSHIT they stand for. They do this all over the country, buy and hack up stuff that works to squeeze a few more dollars out of it so they can drive their lambos and porsches to work while listening to XM/Sirius. Welcome to America, if you dont like it, swim to Cuba!
Old 11-13-2004, 01:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02 WS-6
**** rock 101 and Clear Channel, bring back the REAL Houston Rock n Roll Station, the one that rock 101 bought out twice because they stole half of 101's customer base twice, the first time on AM @ 1070 and the second time on FM @ 107.5 ZROCK, or even old school Houston Rock n Roll like 97 rock. But playing nothing but constant commercials from 7-10 Am EVERY ******* Morning gets old quick, you need good Music playing when your in your car driving
just a correction it was 106.9 Zrock but yup they were awsome the Mighty Met on Sat nights
Old 11-13-2004, 01:54 AM
TECH Addict

Z-ROCK - if its too loud your too old if you dont like us! your sister will! still remember them few punchlines. 106.9 Z rock needs to come back.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
Z-ROCK - if its too loud your too old if you dont like us! your sister will! still remember them few punchlines. 106.9 Z rock needs to come back.
I'll Second that one. They went from one extreme to the other when they changed to religious programming. 101, I am sad to say, is now in the same boat with 1069 ....Man...I joined the military, and everything went to **** in houston (radiowise) Ive listened to some kick *** stations across the states and overseas, but Ive ALWAYS looked forward to comming back to houston and listening to Stevens and Pruitt and the whole crew..... it's a shame that there's only 1 rock station now. I was afraid that something like this would happen when I learned a few years back that Clear Channel purchaced the station. Rock 101 hasnt been the same since that purchase.
I hate CC...it really makes me mad to say that my favorite station, Rock 1053 in San Deigo, is a CC station. "The Rock That Stole Christmas" is a concert that 1053 put on a few days before christmas...last year was, Korn, SevenDust, Adema, and a few others....this year (The Rock BEFORE Christmas ) is Metallica and Godsmack. Man I miss that station. I hope CC doesn't **** that one up too, but then again they did take Howard Stern off of the program. ******

I wonder how much a radio station goes for these days?...I'd probly end up paying more in fines to the FCC than I would for the station.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:53 AM
TECH Resident

With this many upset listeners SOMETHING will happen, although it may not be what we want. ClearChannel may make more money with a hispanic station than a Rock station...but that doesnt stop some other financial backer to start-up/take over with a Rock station...It's not like CC was losing money...they just seen an opportunity to make more than what they were.

It makes me mad, but it will be interesting to see what happens.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Truly a sad event for Houston. Every time I drive through, I looked forward to catching 101 on the radio - even for the Thunder Shootout last weekend. I listened to S&P back in the early 90s when I lived / commuted in Houston. The Radio Gods... indeed.

And with the Eagle being shot down in DFW, it's tough to remember where to turn the dial now. I can remember listening to the Eagle back in the early 80s when I was in Junior High...

Corporate radio sucks. Syndicated radio sucks. ZRock was about as close to syndicated radio as I liked... even though they played waaaay too much Pearl Jam.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I miss Boner Sanchez! He reminded me of a Cheech Marin. I wish they would have replaced it with similar or the like music. that is my only complaint.