texas speeding laws?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to my knowledge after going 15 mph over the speed limit, you get charged like 10 dollars for every other mile after 15mph. so if you were going 47mph in the 30 you get to pay the initial cost for speeding PLUS 20 dollars for the 2mph over 45.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

IMO ... take the defensive driving option. Once completed, you'll get a copy of the certificate for the court and a copy for your insurance. The one you give your insurance company can/should lower your rates by as much as 10%. The copy you give the court keeps the ticket off your record. Defensive driving would probably help you out since your are new to Texas.

If you get another ticket in the next 6mo, find a lawyer. Last I checked you can only take defensive driving for ticket dismisal once every 6mo ... that is subject to change periodically.

Welcome to Texas ... JHH
Old 01-01-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

You can take your car in and have the speedo certified by an ASE mechanic. If there is any discrepancy, you may want to produce the certification letter to the court, or have your attorney do it. I'm not a lawyer, but that is what I would do.

Also, as stated below, and I'm sure as your lawyer will advise you, your not going to want to admit to doing anything other than 65 MPH. Problem is, you can get caught lying if the traffic officer has video and audio (most do) and they hear you saying you were only doing 70.

Tuff call on this one. Do you know where the officer observed you at? Was he moving or stationary? There are many variables here, and I can persoanlly say that I have had many folks swear up and down that they were doing XX MPH in the XX. Trouble is, they are looking at their speedo when they see me comming up on them....they were not watching it 2 miles back where I had actually got them.

Hope this helps a bit. Good Luck,

Kev
Old 01-01-2005, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BigSteele
I got a question, why do cops say "I got you at 55 but ill write down 50..." (it was a 35). i was still not the least bit happy, and it made me more mad that they just round the numbers off to a nice square number. what happened to the accurate reading?
The officer was doing you a favor, saving you some $$ when it comes time to pay the fine. I have done this a few times as well. I also usually explain to folks however, if they wish to plead 'not guilty,' which is their right, I will present the actual speed I observed. This way, I do not present any false facts at a trial. I also will write the speed observed in brackets beside the speed at which I'm wrting at.

Kev
Old 01-02-2005, 02:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by K9Kev
You can take your car in and have the speedo certified by an ASE mechanic. If there is any discrepancy, you may want to produce the certification letter to the court, or have your attorney do it. I'm not a lawyer, but that is what I would do.

Also, as stated below, and I'm sure as your lawyer will advise you, your not going to want to admit to doing anything other than 65 MPH. Problem is, you can get caught lying if the traffic officer has video and audio (most do) and they hear you saying you were only doing 70.

Tuff call on this one. Do you know where the officer observed you at? Was he moving or stationary? There are many variables here, and I can persoanlly say that I have had many folks swear up and down that they were doing XX MPH in the XX. Trouble is, they are looking at their speedo when they see me comming up on them....they were not watching it 2 miles back where I had actually got them.

Hope this helps a bit. Good Luck,

Kev

THe officer was stationary, and I was on cruise control the entire trip to and from my destination............ i did not admit that i was going over the speed limit, but i did confront him at why did he clock me at that much mph, told him that i wasnt going that fast, and not that i was going 70mph
Old 01-02-2005, 03:30 AM
On The Tree

Hey man nice patrol unit. I have seen alot of law enforcement vehicles in Texas. I notice Camaro is the popular hot rod.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:29 AM
Launching!

Default nabbed by a camaro cop

ah, i myself was pulled over by a camaro cop w/ the lt1 6-speed here in naperville, il.... i was late to work one morn... and rippin through gears.... and passed him, i dont regret getting pulled over... the only regret i have is that i didnt have a friggin camera to take a picture..... camaro pulling over a camaro

hmm, that would have made a good sig pic...

oh well, the best way to avoid a ticket.... not to speed... but its hard somtimes in a 6-speed ls1....

i have a few friends that i talk to down in texas, and they have claimed vipers being cop cars down there in a few cities.... thats pretty mean
Old 01-05-2005, 01:59 AM
TECH Junkie

never seen a viper as a cop car....???? anyone seen a viper???? Think your friends may be exagerating just a tad......
Old 01-05-2005, 02:07 AM
Launching!

i have a picture of it somwhere... a kodak of it.... so i dont know how it could be photo shopped....
Old 01-05-2005, 02:10 AM
TECH Junkie

post that bad boy up..... i want to see it>>>>