Excessive Noise Citation

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I did give him my millitary ID along with my license and registration. He just seemed like a cop who wanted to find something major on me but couldn't. Usually those cops just give you a warning, but this guy saw I didn't even have a front plate and hit me for that also. Funny thing was that the HPD officers that were patroling the clubs and intersections were I got pulled over looked like they liked my car. I am going to plead not guilty and hope this moron don't show up to court. It's things like this that give police a bad name. Looks like it's time to get a automatic cut-out cap.

Bad Cop
Old 12-29-2004, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Look up texas traffic code, I'm not sure what it says but I remember reading that a decibal meter must be used. As far as the cop not showing up to court, they get paid overtime if it is on their time off so good luck. jmo, but from my experience with various courts, I would bring my car to the court with a front plate on it (fix it ticket), and plead not guilty to the noise ticket. Depending on the judge, it will probably get dismissed unless Houston has an ordinance I'm not familiar with. chris
Old 12-29-2004, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

I recently got a Noise Violation Citation by a Dallas officer (not a friendly one at that). In Dallas it is a city ordinance that is very loosely written, and if the officer can hear your vehicle from 30+ feet away it is a violation. There is not a clause in there for decible limits, just the distance it can be heard form. The fine for this was $160!!
Old 12-29-2004, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

yah, the traffic code lists a specific decibal limit. Unfortunately many municipalities get around that by city ordinance.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZLEEPER
yah, the traffic code lists a specific decibal limit. Unfortunately many municipalities get around that by city ordinance.

Correct....It really varries from city to city.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by chevy42083
Another note on the noise level of bikes - it's also a safety thing for them. Alot of people don't look for them, but the extra noise helps people be more aware of the bikes.

When they are going 60mph, I don't think their sound is going to warn someone untill they have already past, and the pipes are pointed at your ears. After I get an earfull of Harley straight pipes, I feel like running the biker over, not keeping out of his way.