? how long into drag racing/cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 06:23 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ever since I was born started with GO carts etc and neighbor used to race compeditively I used to go help him (Hand him tools and he would answer my questions etc.) I was around 7-8 at that time and I grew up doing some form of moding on everything I owned. Still do.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:01 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

I made my first 1/4 mile pass at age 15. I'm 32 now. I built my first car from a rusted out heap of a '69 Camaro. I remember cruising ALVIN and PASADENA (center street) back in the late 80s. I sold that car in '93 to pay for college, then I took about 3 years off from car stuff. Bought a brand new '96 GT, and I was right back into it.

Early LS1s dominated Westheimer. If you owned an LS1 with nitrous, there wasn't much out there that commanded more respect or fear. I remember all the Mustang and LT1 guys nearly cried when an LS1 pulled up and purged HAHA.

I'll be racing and building cars for as long as I can physically do so and afford it. I think about cars nearly all day long. I'm sick.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean-o
My love for sports cars started when I was very young. My uncle used to have a 58 Corvette with a 283 in it, and I used to watch him work on it and he would take me for rides in it! I knew one day I would own one. In high school I bought a used 71 Camaro with a 327 in it and I was hooked.
Since then I have owned a 67 Camaro, 69 Camaro, 74 camaro, 69 Corvette (350), 69 Corvette (427), 72 Corvette (350), 96 Camaro (v6), 97 Camaro Z-28, 99 Camaro SS, 03 Corvette, and my current 04 Corvette Z06. I guess it's safe to say I am a sports car nut and that I love Chevrolet. It's always been Camaros and Corvettes for me. I miss my 69 big block, I probably should have kept that car.
Jet, I didn't know you knew Jeff (BadZ). I work with his uncle Lynn.

Dean

Dean I know Lynn and the hole family, I use to help jeff with that car. I know badbluess, his brother, and pops, and ect. I have meet them back beltway bomming. When Jeff drove a mercedez, before he got the z, I remember when it was pure stock

JET
Old 01-26-2005, 07:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I made my first 1/4 mile pass at age 15. I'm 32 now. I built my first car from a rusted out heap of a '69 Camaro. I remember cruising ALVIN and PASADENA (center street) back in the late 80s. I sold that car in '93 to pay for college, then I took about 3 years off from car stuff. Bought a brand new '96 GT, and I was right back into it.

Early LS1s dominated Westheimer. If you owned an LS1 with nitrous, there wasn't much out there that commanded more respect or fear. I remember all the Mustang and LT1 guys nearly cried when an LS1 pulled up and purged HAHA.

I'll be racing and building cars for as long as I can physically do so and afford it. I think about cars nearly all day long. I'm sick.

It is funny you say that about LS1's and nitrous Tony, I was probably one of the first in houston to have a TNT kit, F1. I went and had the guys from there install it for me, in Tyler Tx.

JET
Old 01-26-2005, 07:12 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

yep, but TNT wasn't even around when we first started spraying them. We quickly learned that a 125 dry shot was about the max on the stock injectors haha.

My formula was the first LS1 in the country to put down 400 rwhp on motor. too funny! (heads/cam/headers). The infamous "T1" cam

My car was also the 1st 6-speed to run 11s on motor. My how time flys
Old 01-26-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Started w/ R/C cars.

Hmmm, no ones mentioned Katy/fortbend / Falcon Point? I was out there quite a bit (w/ dad, I was 14). I remember a sprayed white formula that was pretty quick (think he went by "BL"?). And a V-8 primered S-10 Blazer that liked to run everyone. I remember that spot getting busted w/ about 30 cops, My dad and I managed to "sneak" an excuse by.

First week-end I had my permit My dad was teaching me to slam shift, and how to launch by stopping ALL through George Bush Park on the way back from a full sat. night of westheimer. From there I began AutoXing (still w/ permit), they just made sure my dad was riding along. All this was w/ the V-6 5speed S-10. Senior year the V-6 went out, and the LT1 700r4 went in. I don't know how I got along with the V-6 for so long.

College is hampering my build-up, and now my truck is totaled, so we'll see where I am in the future. I WILL be into cars/trucks, it just depends wether I continually do it, or take a break (maybe just slow down) till I get a real job.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I made my first pass down a dragstip in 1964 when I was a junior in high school. I'm 58 now and my last pass down a drag strip was two months ago.....ran a 6.7 in my daily driven Z28. Racing has always been a part of my life and shall be until I'm unsafe behind the wheel, or at least more unsafe than I am now.......
Old 01-26-2005, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
II'll be racing and building cars for as long as I can physically do so and afford it. I think about cars nearly all day long. I'm sick.
i think all of us are sick too

and remeber it is only a sickness if you suffer from it, so enjoy it instead
Old 01-26-2005, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AAron
i think all of us are sick too

and remeber it is only a sickness if you suffer from it, so enjoy it instead
me three ive been into this since i was 16 im 29 now and i think its worse than ever ...ive owned 2, mustangs 2, corvettes and 1, 67 camaro.....i still have a corvette and the 67 if my garage was bigger i would own more...
Old 01-27-2005, 12:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chevy42083
Started w/ R/C cars.

Hmmm, no ones mentioned Katy/fortbend / Falcon Point? I was out there quite a bit (w/ dad, I was 14). I remember a sprayed white formula that was pretty quick (think he went by "BL"?). And a V-8 primered S-10 Blazer that liked to run everyone. I remember that spot getting busted w/ about 30 cops, My dad and I managed to "sneak" an excuse by.

First week-end I had my permit My dad was teaching me to slam shift, and how to launch by stopping ALL through George Bush Park on the way back from a full sat. night of westheimer. From there I began AutoXing (still w/ permit), they just made sure my dad was riding along. All this was w/ the V-6 5speed S-10. Senior year the V-6 went out, and the LT1 700r4 went in. I don't know how I got along with the V-6 for so long.

College is hampering my build-up, and now my truck is totaled, so we'll see where I am in the future. I WILL be into cars/trucks, it just depends wether I continually do it, or take a break (maybe just slow down) till I get a real job.

Yea , Katy fortbend (Falcon Point ) was one of my favorite spots, along with Westheimer when we used to meet right across from WEST OAKS mall in the UHall parking lot. That was when weshiemer was good. You could roll down the street at 2 am or later and sometimes there would be quite a few cars even much later. I remember out at Katy fortbend the black Lt1 Trans Am, and the red Lt1 Trans Am that used to always be with it. Also the Yellow C4 vette (Joel I think) and Jeff from MTI with his turbo mustang. That mustang would still be on of the baddest street cars around here . It ran I think high 8's years ago. I saw him race the yellow vette from a roll on the way home from Katy fort bend. It was sick . Don't forget Keith Harrow also.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:13 AM
TECH Regular

i know alot of you old school racers remember the yellow CRX back in the days of spikewood, rankin, center street (deer park) and by the airport ( southside) I was one of the first fast import on the scene (12.0 at 118mph)!! i used to spanked mustangs and camaros all the time, mostly from a roll..they didnt make any drag radials for FWD back then..****, i lived for the weekends so i could go pick on you guys!! damn I still do that now in my Supra. I know how you guys feel though about getting picked on by imports though..I get revved on all the times by Hondas when im driving the Z06 around..hehehe

duy