Pics of BRAD-2's destroyed motor!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
It looks like a bolt you'd use for exhaust collectors to bolt the 3 bolt flanges together!

Mike
On these cars, they are studs with nuts, not bolts, connecting the manifolds to the exhaust.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:41 PM
8 Sec Tuner

Well actually its one of the bolts that holds the aftermarket cold air intake down.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mike TexaSS
Well actually its one of the bolts that holds the aftermarket cold air intake down.
Okay, now wait a minute. I know for a fact that both of those bolts were there and in place because I showed them to Brad when he asked how to pull it off. Was it silver at one point?

Brad mentioned he had the air intake off at one point to clean the K&N filter, if I remember correctly.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

I just talked to Mike. Speed Demon is definitely out of the loop on this. The bolt was one of two that held the cover for the K&N filter down. Brad had asked me how the filter came out, and I remember moving back the foam and showing him the bolts holding the cover on.

Let this be warning to everyone who has a de-screened MAF. If the screen was there, it would not have gotten sucked into the intake.

For visual reference, there is a picture at the bottom of this page showing the intake:

http://www.angelfire.com/on2/Vinnie/myta3.html
Old 02-09-2005, 02:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CySevans
Okay, now wait a minute. I know for a fact that both of those bolts were there and in place because I showed them to Brad when he asked how to pull it off. Was it silver at one point?

Brad mentioned he had the air intake off at one point to clean the K&N filter, if I remember correctly.
I know it sucks that the motor blew up, and it comes down to a stinkin bolt. But first things first I find it hard to believe that a bolt like that could make it 3K miles before it rared its ugly little head.

I really hate seeing people pointing fingers either, VINCE is a stand up guy and the car was driven many miles since bought, so it really isn't any of vinces concern, he is nice enough to help try and find out what really happened, which is not his job, he took very good care of the car from what I have personally seen . I highly doubt we will know the hole truth as to what happened. I was told in the beginning that it was not over reved then it was, to many stories floating around.

Brad, just asking a question. Is it possible that you had the intake off and thought you put the bolt back on and then it somehow got sucked in the intake ??? , since that is were the bolt came from, and when approximately did you do this, if you did this at all ????

No offense to anyone, just asking questions

JET
Old 02-09-2005, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Z06 JET
I know it sucks that the motor blew up, and it comes down to a stinkin bolt. But first things first I find it hard to believe that a bolt like that could make it 3K miles before it rared its ugly little head.

I really hate seeing people pointing fingers either, VINCE is a stand up guy and the car was driven many miles since bought, so it really isn't any of vinces concern, he is nice enough to help try and find out what really happened, which is not his job, he took very good care of the car from what I have personally seen . I highly doubt we will know the hole truth as to what happened. I was told in the beginning that it was not over reved then it was, to many stories floating around.

Brad, just asking a question. Is it possible that you had the intake off and thought you put the bolt back on and then it somehow got sucked in the intake ??? , since that is were the bolt came from, and when approximately did you do this, if you did this at all ????

No offense to anyone, just asking questions

JET
Woah, back down there, my friend. No one pointed the finger at me. I was just helping with the investigation.

Old 02-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Banned

Well it looked to me that people were saying to ask vince what happened. How are you suppose to know what happened it isnt your car.

I have a feeling the intake got taken off and someone forgot to tighten the bolt down, and this is what happened, I have no idea who, but I would think that it happened shortly after the intake was messed with, I just don't see a bolt like that bouncing around for long.

JET
Old 02-09-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Veteran

That sucks. Gave me chills just looking at it..
Old 02-09-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

I dont know ask Vince...

I'll back Jet on this one.

Maybe not finger pointing but strong "inuendo" if you will.

I also agree with Jets take on the bolt, there's no way in hell that thing bounced around in there for a few thousand miles.

I'd go talk to the punks that changed the oil the day the motor exploded.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CAM 00SS
I'll back Jet on this one.

Maybe not finger pointing but strong "inuendo" if you will.

I also agree with Jets take on the bolt, there's no way in hell that thing bounced around in there for a few thousand miles.

I'd go talk to the punks that changed the oil the day the motor exploded.
You guys are taking this totally out of context. When Mike said "ask Vince" it was in response to Tracey's question about the work that Speed Demon had supposedly done, nothing more. Relax!

Tracey said:

Originally Posted by Tracey
Wasn't that car at Speed Demon not to long ago with the intake off?

And Mike responded:

I dont know ask Vince...
No worries.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

There is one other possiblility, which could open up a whole new can of worms here. There is a nut/bolt combo under the filter that holds the intake housing to the radiator cross-member. If that nut was not tightened enough, it is entirely possible that engine vibration could have loosened it enough where the bolt was sucked in. Mike says the bolt was silver, but looking at it, it's hard to tell. I would have to see it in person to know exactly which bolt that is because it's smaller than the other two that hold the filter cover down. To tighten it, I always had to hold my hand on the nut, or else it would spin freely and not tighten.

If it is, indeed, one of the bolts that holds the housing down, then the only way to get one of those under the filter would be to remove and reinstall the filter with the bolt inadvertantly underneath. They are under the foam, and the foam had pressure on it from the hood. In 5 years and almost 40K miles, those bolts never came loose on their own.

I suspect it's the bolt that holds the housing to the cross-member. This could explain why it went several thousand miles before suddenly giving out. If that's the case, then this is an unfortunate series of events that no one could have predicted or prevented.

A preventative measure to keep this from happening in the future would be to use thread lock or a nylon locknut on that bolt (or re-install a stock MAF with screen). The nut that was on it was friction lock only.

Last edited by CySevans; 02-09-2005 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever happened, it sure made some nasty damage. Not a little Krazy Glue won't fix though. Good luck with it all.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Banned

You guys are taking this totally out of context. When Mike said "ask Vince" it was in response to Tracey's question about the work that Speed Demon had supposedly done, nothing more. Relax!

Tracey said:

And Mike responded:

No worries.
Yep I got it. I need to go back to reading class. O well

JET
Old 02-09-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it is done and I just want him to get the car back. Things do happen. It just sucks when they do.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya i never have pulled the intake off cause i didn't know how. after u showed me i had to drive to san antonio like a day later
Old 02-09-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya vince i know this is not your fault and i'm not blaiming u at all.

mike lets just get it fixed
Old 02-09-2005, 07:08 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Sorry to hear about that man.

G-Force will do you right. What are you getting to replace the motor, stroker, all-bore, stock ls1?

Peace,
Craig.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Pimp

Originally Posted by CRAGER
Sorry to hear about that man.

G-Force will do you right. What are you getting to replace the motor, stroker, all-bore, stock ls1?

Peace,
Craig.
Answer your phone craig!!!
Old 02-09-2005, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

thats gotta suck
Old 02-09-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

I would think that a bolt that size would have immediately done some damage upon startup!

Quick Reply: Pics of BRAD-2's destroyed motor!!!