I'm such a proud momma!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats odd. Glenn's Elementary school GT classes were just that. He was in a seperate class. Each grade level had 2 such classes for each of the two groups of classes. English/Reading then Math/Science. They were not in a "regular" class ever. They were actually taught in a different way.

-Tracey
Old 02-24-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

GT classes can be fun and challenging. I always more fun learning things on my own than going at some teachers pace. It was always too slow.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:12 PM
Fiery Features Director

Originally Posted by Tracey
Thats odd. Glenn's Elementary school GT classes were just that. He was in a seperate class. Each grade level had 2 such classes for each of the two groups of classes. English/Reading then Math/Science. They were not in a "regular" class ever. They were actually taught in a different way.

-Tracey
I wish it was that way, but I suppose Katy ISD can't afford it They would rather spend millions of dollars building parking garages for their Highschool students.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:04 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was in this all through school. AP courses in highschool and i'm in the honors college now. i dont really try, things just arent hard for me. my dad is VERY intelligent and is no doubt the source of my INFINATE wisdom

dammit i have to do some calculus

congrats yer young'n! always back him when he does good things, it'll keep him going. my mom always bragged about me to people and it made me scared to slip up, for fear that we might look like a couple of dumbasses
Old 02-25-2005, 01:08 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracey

-Tracey
this is a very important thing! it is very boring to sit in a class with people who are flat out ignorant as to what's going on! classes where all the students are on the same page and are not constantly lost are much more enjoyable and benificial.

i have a few college classes where people ask questions about things and i think to myself "you must be joking...." but unfortunatly they aren't.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:28 AM
Fiery Features Director

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
classes where all the students are on the same page and are not constantly lost are much more enjoyable and benificial.
That is a huge issue that we are dealing with right now. The problem is that the school doesn't want to seperate kids. They feel as if the normal kids could learn from the advanced kids. However, Michael can already read, write and is very good at math. The other kids are learning how to count and add 1+1, Michael is working on multiplication. When the other kids are learning how to read site words such as "as, the, was", Michael is reading chapter books. So, when the kids struggle to spit out answers, Michael takes it upon himself to blurt them out. Then of course his teacher is calling me up. I am sure it makes the other kids feel bad also. I don't know... I just think the school district is going at this all wrong.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:01 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
i have a few college classes where people ask questions about things and i think to myself "you must be joking...." but unfortunatly they aren't.
At least they dared to ask something even if it wasn't too bright... a lot of the classes I've had so far, I'm the only one who ever says anything most of the time!

Originally Posted by Zangel
I just think the school district is going at this all wrong.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:17 AM
TECH Regular

As J-rod said, i was always bored in school...I was in the GT program all through Ele. and the classes were fun because we got to do the activites that the other students didnt, plus we had a few more privaliges, but as i got older it started to get boring and HS classes were boring cause i seemed to pretty much already know what they were teaching me...

Rob

still cant spell good to this day
Old 02-25-2005, 08:21 AM
TECH Junkie

I remember when I tried to get on the Academic Decathalon team. Holy moly was that a wake-up call. We had to memorize 300 facts a night for 3 weeks straight to be able to compete. I barely made the team. I think I got the last or the next to last spot. At the time I was in 3 AP classes (Physics, Calculus, and English) and was making A's in all of the classes.

Friendswood always did have a really good GT program though. I don't know about Katy.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

skool is for fulls
Old 02-25-2005, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Glenn went to Fort Bend ISD, in Sugar Land. I will tell you that they have no problem spending money on educational programs.

Tiff, I will tell you one thing to watch out for. I love my son dearly, but he is almost too smart for his own good. He is only 14 and can hold a very good conversation with almost any adult, but he tends to be quite "witty". He will pop off with some "smart" remark in front of his friends, but they won't get it most of the time. I tell him one day he's going to pop off to a guy thats twice his size and 2-3 days later when the guy gets what Glenn was saying, he will come back and kick his butt. Glenn assures me that he is well aware of the possibility of this so he has very good friends that always "have his back".

Friends of mine that know and have been around Glenn have a hard time talking around him and keeping the conversation PG-rated. Its too easy for people to forget he's 14.

Like I said before, be proud of him, but don't pressure him to be smart. Kids have many other qualities that are worth being proud of.

-Tracey
Old 02-25-2005, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

This kid (usually) enjoys being challenged. When he was a bit younger, he'd pull the "I can't" crap or the "I don't know" when he knew it 2 days ago As he's getting older, that attitude has replaced itself with genuine excitement for soaking up new knowledge. What a difference two years will make The trick is not pushing them, but rather just sharing in the excitement WITH them.. Kids have an innate desire to learn, and if the parents cultivate that desire with positive reinforcement, there's no limit to what they'll be capable of. Everyone has the ability to learn, its the good parents that help their kid take hold of and feel comfortable using those abilities.