car wont start after T56 swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default car wont start after T56 swap

I went T56 from auto and I have some problems and questions
I did the swap to put the T56 in and once all was done, I was having trouble starting the car by turning the key on, nothing happend as if there was no power to the ignition switch. now I have a couple of questions
-There are 3 plugs after I connected everything that did not have a partner to go into, that means I could not find amything to connect them to. are they supposed to be unpluged or am I missing something?

- also the car did try to start with the automatic starter, but again the ignition switch did not turn the car or even try to turn the starter......

the 3 plugs that dont have any conectors are the following:
1- one has a blu casing with like 3 or 4 thick wires to it/////could not find the male for this one? what is this
2- one witha very thick orange wire with a very thick gage to it, that is it for that one ? no connector for this?
3- another one is a small connector that is black kinda looks like one of the connectors that go iinto the brake switches but everything in the brake switches are connected to their right plugs since they have gides and what not.

can you guys help me on this problems?/
one more thing
THe steering column has 2 thick galvanized metal rods running down from it and I did not conect them to anythig IS THIS RIGHT/..// aren't those the ones that were for the automatic shifter lock mechanism?/
call me if you can Im doing thiis as Im typing because I had nowere else to turn
thanks in advace for any help/
David
817-291-9302
Old 04-03-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the two things that come to mind are is the thing on the column that makes the car be in "park" for the key to turn. Also, the clutch switch which requires the clutch to be depressed to start the car. Does the car still have the a4 tuning?
Old 04-03-2005, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the clutch switch is done right because I just conected the two wires together for the car to start without having the clutch depressed.
also the thing that makes the key to turn while is in park has nothing attached to it and therefore the key turns freely but id does not engage the starter, the thing is that when I try to start it with the automatic starter, it tries to star. but what gets me is that the key seems like its not transmitting any power, the door chime is active if the key is on the on position and the doors are open/
what gives?
DAvid
Old 04-03-2005, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

Doesn't one of those rods go into the ignition switch, so that it will power the starter, or the accesories?
Old 04-03-2005, 11:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

ill look under my dash to see how things are going underthere. I still have the A4 steering column (no key release button). The first thing I was gona say is the clutch switch, but thats already taken care of. Did you check the post in the manual transmission section to make sure all the electrical stuff is right.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some thing happend to me, its because the car thinks thats in in Neutral. I took it to some guys shop and he by passed it. I could get his number for you.. My car was originaly auto but i put a 6-speed
Old 04-04-2005, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

o yea, if its still the A4 pcm, either swap out the PCM with the donor car, or have the dealership flash the PCM to the same year M6 version.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stang killer
o yea, if its still the A4 pcm, either swap out the PCM with the donor car, or have the dealership flash the PCM to the same year M6 version.

Sorry, just wondering because I am planning this also. Can a dealership flash the pcm?
Old 04-04-2005, 02:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by stock98z
Sorry, just wondering because I am planning this also. Can a dealership flash the pcm?
yes they can, assuming you have a 98 A4 PCM have them flash it it a 98 M6 PCM, or just find someone else with another 98 that you could swap with because the 98 PCM dosent interchange like the 99-02's do.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:34 AM
TECH Addict

I think those wires tell the pcm what gear you in. You have to do something to make it think its in park. We did this swap to a car but I didn't do the wiring. Good Luck
Old 04-04-2005, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

im still wprking on finding out what those wires are for and also checking the fuses every single time, no blown fuses.
so the metal rods in the steering column are to be free now since I dont have the wire going to the auto shifter right? what do they do other than lock the wheel if its not in park?
thanks
Old 04-04-2005, 10:46 AM
TECH Regular

you may also want to try sending pm's to some of the people in the manual transmission section who have done the swap before