Russell wins #8 Street Fighter but refused his winnings at CLOBBERTHON!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?

Curious, but what are the rules of the #8 spot? Also what is the sandbagg rule?

Last edited by SlimSlow; 05-23-2005 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Here's a quote from boz85GT of Westsidemustangs.com I received via email. He was a witness that was in the staging lanes at the same time Russell was there. Had Russell ben DQ'ed wouldn't the staging lane director have been notified. They do wear phones.

Larry & Russell,

If you need any witness to what happened in the staging lane, I was there for a lot of it.

I heard Russell ask the director in the lanes, "Where is he?" What happens if he doesn't show"
(I don't know the director's name, but he had a British accent.)

The director, "I don't know." "I guess you win by default."

Russell, "How long do we have to wait."

Director, "Not long."

The director finally told him he should go check with Joe. Russell thought he saw the previous # 8's truck while he was walking to the starting line.

I couldn't hear the conversation between Joe and Russell.

When Russell came back, we were discussing it between ourselves and with the directors. The directors were also stunned by what had happend but said there was nothing they could do, "It's Joe's show.

I couldn't believe it. I think I was just as pissed off as Russell was.

Last edited by Larry; 05-23-2005 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SlimSlow
Curious, but what are the rules of the #8 spot? Also what is the sandbagg rule?
The rules are vague to say the least and nothing in writing. At the drivers meeting Joe said that you can let up if you are winning as long as you are not 6 mph less than your time trials. You are not allowed to hit the brakes but you can let off throttle. I was not at the meeting but this is what I was told from those who were.

As I have mentioned Russell ran a best of 92 mph in time trials and with his .509 reaction to the losers .650 he was allowed to slow his 5 mph. Had he not bumped the throttle he would have ran a 7.34+/- @ 92 mph. But he ran a 7.38 to the losers 7.35 et. This is not sand bagging!
Old 05-23-2005, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Default hmmm?

Russell runs a 7.38 at 87, white mustang runs a 7.35 at 94. Russell lets out eventhough he is in front. Why did he let out? That is a 7mph difference. Something smells fishy?
Old 05-23-2005, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Larry
Ridiculous post not worthy of a reply....

No problem.
Like I said,
I don't want an arguement.
But if your attitude is that people aren't worthy,
just keep blaming everyone ELSE.

Old 05-23-2005, 04:00 PM
Launching!

Here's the rules for #8
7.32 Index. The only way you can go faster than the index and remain in competition/win is if both cars run within .03 seconds of each (not gonna happen). Go faster than a 7.32 and you're dq'd
The 6 mph rule actually goes off of an average that the guys who run the class determine. The average mph for a 7.32 timeslip should be around 93mph (I am looking at one of my 7.32 timeslips in front of me, which was 1.61 sixty foot, 7.32@93.61mph). This would mean if the average is 93mph, the person can run as slow as 87 mph and still be within the 6mph rule.
If you tree a guy you are allowed to lift, however if you run right on the number, ie 7.32-7.34, then you cannot go slower than the 6mph rule.
No other rules other than the standard street king rules: If you win and hold a spot and someone challenges for that spot, you are required to defend that spot on a Friday/Saturday night at HMP. The current street king gets free entry to the track when he is required to defend his spot. If you do not defend your spot, you lose it by default and have to sit out a clobberthon or two (Joe's discretion).
Not taking either side here really, but going by the rules I just listed which are "The Rules as discussed on the board and among the racers", Russell should have gotten his chance at racing the current king. I know the guy with the White 95. Don't know his name, but have spoken to him numerous times at the track. I know Russell even better. So without taking sides if the numbers mentioned, ie a .50 light vs a .650 light and a 7.38@87 mph vs a 7.35@94mph is true, Russell should have gotten the shot at the king.
Now not being there personally, I can't say what happened and why they managed to run the king against someone without Russell knowing what was going on. I do agree, that a mistake was made in that they ran the the king and the other car without Russell even knowing that they wanted to DQ him.
I raced for the #7 spot in the past. I made it to the king and raced and I was DQ'd for sandbagging, but I took it because I knew that I went too slow. I tree'd the **** out of the guy with a .40 light against his .62 and I lifted. Going by the "New Rules" I should have taken the spot and the win $$$. But at the time, these rules weren't in place, just the 6mph rule. Now he says if you tree the guy you can lift, but if you run right on the number at slower than 6mph under the average, you're dq'd. I've raced for the spot since then and again made it to the final, but this time I got tree'd and lost, I ran right on the number, 7.02@99mph, but it wasn't enough to cover the .1 difference at the tree.
So again, judging by the numbers mentioned, Russell should have gotten his shot at the king. A mistake was made. Does that mistake mean that $600 and a title is owed to Russell, not necessarily IMO. Should Joe have called the guys back to the lanes and discussed the possibly DQ and letting Russell take a shot at the title against Greg? Yes it does.
Oh well, too late now, too much has been said.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by White90GT
Here's the rules for #8
7.32 Index. The only way you can go faster than the index and remain in competition/win is if both cars run within .03 seconds of each (not gonna happen). Go faster than a 7.32 and you're dq'd
The 6 mph rule actually goes off of an average that the guys who run the class determine. The average mph for a 7.32 timeslip should be around 93mph (I am looking at one of my 7.32 timeslips in front of me, which was 1.61 sixty foot, 7.32@93.61mph). This would mean if the average is 93mph, the person can run as slow as 87 mph and still be within the 6mph rule.
If you tree a guy you are allowed to lift, however if you run right on the number, ie 7.32-7.34, then you cannot go slower than the 6mph rule.
No other rules other than the standard street king rules: If you win and hold a spot and someone challenges for that spot, you are required to defend that spot on a Friday/Saturday night at HMP. The current street king gets free entry to the track when he is required to defend his spot. If you do not defend your spot, you lose it by default and have to sit out a clobberthon or two (Joe's discretion).
Not taking either side here really, but going by the rules I just listed which are "The Rules as discussed on the board and among the racers", Russell should have gotten his chance at racing the current king. I know the guy with the White 95. Don't know his name, but have spoken to him numerous times at the track. I know Russell even better. So without taking sides if the numbers mentioned, ie a .50 light vs a .650 light and a 7.38@87 mph vs a 7.35@94mph is true, Russell should have gotten the shot at the king.
Now not being there personally, I can't say what happened and why they managed to run the king against someone without Russell knowing what was going on. I do agree, that a mistake was made in that they ran the the king and the other car without Russell even knowing that they wanted to DQ him.
I raced for the #7 spot in the past. I made it to the king and raced and I was DQ'd for sandbagging, but I took it because I knew that I went too slow. I tree'd the **** out of the guy with a .40 light against his .62 and I lifted. Going by the "New Rules" I should have taken the spot and the win $$$. But at the time, these rules weren't in place, just the 6mph rule. Now he says if you tree the guy you can lift, but if you run right on the number at slower than 6mph under the average, you're dq'd. I've raced for the spot since then and again made it to the final, but this time I got tree'd and lost, I ran right on the number, 7.02@99mph, but it wasn't enough to cover the .1 difference at the tree.
So again, judging by the numbers mentioned, Russell should have gotten his shot at the king. A mistake was made. Does that mistake mean that $600 and a title is owed to Russell, not necessarily IMO. Should Joe have called the guys back to the lanes and discussed the possibly DQ and letting Russell take a shot at the title against Greg? Yes it does.
Oh well, too late now, too much has been said.
Thanks Carl! Appreciate the good input...
Old 05-23-2005, 08:43 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Strini SS
Not Defending anyone here, it sucks Larry you and your son got the **** end of the stick.....But JOE GOLDEN puts on the events like it or not he is the only one to draw that LARGE of a crowd. People can bitch and bitch on how much they hate Joe, but it ain't changing the fact he puts on the largest races with the most payouts. And thats what brings the bad *** cars out.

Like what it was posted earlier- If you don't like Joe then don't support his events.(only way to make your own statement)

Brandon
So, by your logic Brandon, since I own one of the most successful message boards online, I'm okay to screw people over too? Just want to clear this up

Anyone that runs an event should know that the DRIVERS of the vehicles need to be notified in person if they are disqualified or eliminated. Looking at those "rules", it seems that Russell's car passed the rules as posted. Sounds highly unorganized, and now it has turned into a game of 'cover your ***' with excuses.

But, all this complaining is for nothing. Its very obvious that Joe will never admit there is either a problem with communication in the lanes, or an error on his part in directing the event. That means you won't get paid Russell.

Tony
Old 05-23-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know what happened at so I'm not going to comment on that. I've known Russell for a while and consider him a good friend. I've known Larry and Russell on a personal basis and when I see there character being attack by some people I have to say something. Russell and Larry are some of the most honest people I know and what some people are accusing is impossible and not in their character. I don't know what went on but I know they would not try and pull something like this.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

well that just sux ....!!!
Old 05-23-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

im sorry but it thought this would turn out different for the guy...
Old 05-24-2005, 07:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
So, by your logic Brandon, since I own one of the most successful message boards online, I'm okay to screw people over too? Just want to clear this up

Tony
Yes Tony, You have that right to run your message board anyway you want, and if people don't like it they don’t have to logon on to. Right They same way with the Tech race series there are Houston locals who don't like the rules so they don't make a trip to compete, would they be completive hell yeah they would but it to each their own. I never said Joe run's his event to the ''T'' but he is they only one that offered a $5k payout to the True 10.5 class. Hell there are people who don't get along with Joe but they still come for the $$$. The $$$ is what draws the cars that the spectators want to see.

What I'm trying to get arcoss is you can't please everyone. You end up pleasing the ones who support you the most, now is that far? who's to say yes or no?

Now do I think Russell should have got payed yes, but no one can make that call but the one with the $$$. RIGHT They only way to get his point across is not support Joe's event one less car.

Brandon

Last edited by Strini SS; 05-24-2005 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:50 AM

Very well said Tony!!!!!

Anyone that runs an event should know that the DRIVERS of the vehicles need to be notified in person if they are disqualified or eliminated. Looking at those "rules", it seems that Russell's car passed the rules as posted. Sounds highly unorganized, and now it has turned into a game of 'cover your ***' with excuses.

But, all this complaining is for nothing. Its very obvious that Joe will never admit there is either a problem with communication in the lanes, or an error on his part in directing the event. That means you won't get paid Russell.

Tony
Old 05-24-2005, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Underline Never !!!!!!

Originally Posted by PaiN
This is the 100 Million dollar question!

If I have anymore influence over the current owner, I know at least one car that will NEVER be seen at one of his shows.

Larry, I sure hate to hear this happened to you, and your son. It's pure BS.

For you guys thinking Larry screwed up, your crazy! Larry has been racing for years, and been a permanent fixture out at the tracks for a LONG time. I think he knows his way around the staging lanes. Probably more than most.

On the other hand ... This isn't the first time we've heard of bs stuff like this happening at the clobberthons,and I'm sure it won't be the last.
What is really bad is the nasty mouth that JG has on him!!!! But if you notice he will talk like that with a KEYBOARD, not to a persons face. I know the two people he has bad mouthed and it really shows what an AH JG really is. I have been there with MIKE when he ran his car and they tried to pull the same **** with one of his buddy's that stayed in the pits and then come later to run after MIKE had finished his race. We told him to run the car up his *** for his next race. He was sent back to the pits.. That was the first and last race I have been to.
Vette
Old 05-26-2005, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up Videos

To end all of this just buy a video from Miranda / mandoz@aol.com or i can get the video from her and post it on my site. I would like to see the pass.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:09 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Whatever moderator moved this thread, please leave it alone.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:04 PM

That's a slap in the ol face!!!!

Whatever moderator moved this thread, please leave it alone.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well it looks like I pissed in Joe Goldens cheerios. He quit bashing Larry and started in on me. OH well isf the board ever gets off moderator status maybe I can get the $100.00 hes offering for my story.

The slander against me and Larry is pretty funny actually.

225-343-9029
Old 05-26-2005, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow!! this is going to go nation wide pretty soon.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:19 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

1,800 views so far. I don't expect Russell to get paid, but it would sure be nice if Joe would just admit he might have made a mistake.

BTW, Larry was the first LS1 owner in the country to run 11s on motor. That was back in 99. His credibility is 100+ when it comes to his status here, and he definitely wouldn't make stuff like this up.

Tony

Quick Reply: Russell wins #8 Street Fighter but refused his winnings at CLOBBERTHON!