Ignition Auxiliary Power Position

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ignition Auxiliary Power Position

In a Camaro, which way do you turn the key to get auxiliary power? I know this is a very basic and very ignorant question but I can not turn my ignition switch toward me. I just had my Z serviced and I told them about it and they said they would look at it. Well they looked at it twice (on two different ocassions) and changed the locking mechanism once and it still doesn't go to that position. It went into that position once, right after I got the car, and then I couldn't get it to lock into that position. Please tell me that I am dumb or that the techs at the dealership are extremely dumb .
Old 06-09-2005, 12:51 PM
TECH Regular

TTT - Anybody?
Old 06-09-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

You turn it back towards you, opposite of the way that you turn it to start it. Not sure what exactly could be wrong with yours, but you may try pushing the key in, and working it back and forth to see if you can make it go.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rayosequis
You turn it back towards you, opposite of the way that you turn it to start it. Not sure what exactly could be wrong with yours, but you may try pushing the key in, and working it back and forth to see if you can make it go.
First, thanks for the reply!

Man I worked that thing back and forth about 10 times right in front of the service manager and he said, "Okay, I'll get one of my service techs to work on it". Yeah they worked on it and replaced the locking mechanism and cut me two new keys and it still doesn't work. I should have tried it both times right after they gave me the car back at the dealership but I was late for work.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:10 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By 'locking mechanism' do you mean they replaced the whole cylinder? If not, sounds like that's what needs doing. No clue what else it could be.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:08 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the replies. I finally got it to work after my wife and I sat in my car and just starred at it for a few minutes and then started to twist away. I have to carefully push the button in and gently rotate the switch toward me and let go of the button and then kinda give it some pressure before it finally locks into place. What a mess!
Old 06-10-2005, 04:50 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got it figured out