Anyone been to Cancun?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005 | 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

Default Anyone been to Cancun?

I'm lookin at spendin the Honeymoon there and have no idea where to stay.
I've been lookin at the all inclusive resorts/hotels on Expedia and they all look pretty cool. Anybody reccomend any one place over another? Any place that looked better than the one you stayed at?
Don't mind dropin a fat coin on the trip but i want the place to be BAD ***!
Old 07-25-2005 | 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

I've been there twice before and i'd just suggest nothing too far off the main drag or far off the ocean. Most the time the further you get from where the cruise ships stop the crappier the place you'll end up in. Sorry i can't remember the hotel i stayed at but there are plently of nice places down there.
Old 07-25-2005 | 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

you got enough money saved up for the wedding lol. Better save up the money for the trip first then skimp on the wedding reception.
Old 07-25-2005 | 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

Also lookin at Playa Del Carmen.
Not lookin to go partying just do a bunch of cool stuff at a beutiful beach.
The wife REALLY want to go see the mayan ruins tour thingy
Old 07-25-2005 | 11:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
Also lookin at Playa Del Carmen.
Not lookin to go partying just do a bunch of cool stuff at a beutiful beach.
The wife REALLY want to go see the mayan ruins tour thingy
Playa Del Carman has much nicer beaches and there is a lot of great stuff to do there.
Old 07-26-2005 | 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

I'm gonna crash your honeymoon lol.
Old 07-26-2005 | 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

Playa del Carmen over Cancun for your honeymoon for sure, you can always just go to the Virgin Islands for the honeymoon like we did playa.
Old 07-26-2005 | 01:02 AM
TECH Regular

yeah i just came back from cancun like 2 weeks ago....be carefull it was a horrible trip. and definitely dont stay at the gran melia...that place blows ***....no ac ANYWHERE. id say stay at playa del carmen or cozumel. the drivers in cancun suck *** and are scary as **** too so dont plan on renting anything there. playa del carmen and cozumel are better if your wanting to rent something to drive around.
Old 07-26-2005 | 01:29 AM
13 Second Truck Club

can cun is great! the best hotels i think there are: JW marriot, the ritz, and a new one called glass. Jw is relax nice, Ritx is spoiled rotten nice, and glass (from what i saw when i walked through) is trendy-like nice. So depending on what your looking for, those are some good starting points in your quest for a hotel.

a great honeymooning place though would be zihuatanejo....it's the west side if mexico. beautiful views and stuff.

Have you thought about hawaii?...dont need a passport! I'll think of more stuff later.... hope this helped
Old 07-26-2005 | 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

my favorite place was cozumel last winter out of all the stops on the cruise, and ya most of the drivers are nutty.
Old 07-26-2005 | 01:52 AM
11 Second Club

I don't really care where i go i just want to get my $$$ worth.
The wife is SUPER into history and since we're brown she's really into any kind of Latin history. Hence the Myan ruins tour.
Old 07-26-2005 | 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

I stayed and TUCANun resort for 3 night. It was pretty nice and I took advatage of the all enclusive package. It was well worth it. the food was excellent, the beach and pools behind it were beautiful. Do a Google search for Xel-Ha Cancun and go there, you'll love it.
Old 07-26-2005 | 08:42 AM
Teching In

We stayed at the Riu Playacar for our honeymoon. Great food, service, beautiful grounds, and overall badass time.

http://www.riu.com/index.php hit the drop down menu under hotels and find the Hotel Riu Playcar. And yes, take the trip to Tulum to snorkel and see the ruins, very good trip IMO.

Last edited by Matt B 991LE; 07-26-2005 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-26-2005 | 09:12 AM
TECH Veteran

I've been to Cancun and Cozumel. Wouldn't be such a bad place if you didn't get hassled by all the dang Mexicans.
Old 07-26-2005 | 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

I went there in high school after I first moved to texas, stayed at an all exclusive on the beach in cancun. If you're referring to the mayan ruins @ Chichen Itza and Xcaret, I've been to both of those places and your wife will absolutely love them. We had a tour guide that spoke 7 languages and knew just about every answer to any question you could ask.

Also, the resort I stayed at was in a decent part of town and was top-notch. Really nice place and well worth the money. I'll try and get the name of it tonite for ya. When are you plannin on goin?
Old 07-26-2005 | 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Matt B 991LE
We stayed at the Riu Playacar for our honeymoon. Great food, service, beautiful grounds, and overall badass time.

http://www.riu.com/index.php hit the drop down menu under hotels and find the Hotel Riu Playcar. And yes, take the trip to Tulum to snorkel and see the ruins, very good trip IMO.
My wife and I stayed at Riu Caribe in Cancun on our honeymoon. I loved it.... It was an all inclusive resort, and still had plently of night life near by.

And with the Riu class thing, you can go to any Riu resort and eat there and drink there for free as well. I think in Cancun there were three. Riu Caribe, Riu Cancun, and Riu Palace. We stayed at Caribe, but ate lunch at the Riu Palace while doing some downtown sightseeing. Deffinitly worth looking into. I belive all 3 resorts were 5 star, but I'm not positive.

Last edited by ContractKiller; 07-26-2005 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-26-2005 | 10:03 AM
On The Tree

I have been 4 times, and once to playa del carmen. In cancun it used to be called the Royal Solaris Caribe I think, all inclusive all the food and drinks you can handle, 6 restaurants etc. You can book that through GWV or TNT vacations and with airfare from Boston its like 950 per person...sweet deal. I got screwed in playa del carmen and will never return but lots of people like it more than Cancun...better for vacations, Cancun is good for spring breaker types.
Old 07-26-2005 | 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I belive our trip was through FunJet Vacations.
Old 07-26-2005 | 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I lived and worked in Cancun last summer for 2 months and it was bullshit. Cancun can get wiped out by a hurricane for all i care. Shitty tourist town with shady people and ghetto nightlife. It might be cool if you've never been there and are only going for about two days max, but do yourself and your wife a favor and at least head south to Akumal, Playa del Carmen, or Tulum for your extended stay. Playa del Carmen is nice because it is somewhat quiet, a beach resort town, and you can rent a vehicle at a decent price and head to Tulum and then drive up to Cancun just to see the madness. Personally i'd bypass it and take a daytrip out to Chichen Itza and EXPLORE. Don't just go to see the pyramid but walk around all the little towns along the way and talk to the people and absorb the culture. You can't find that in Cancun. Here's some pics i took last summer of all the above places: http://www.mctullisphotowerks.com/mexico/mexico.html

If i were in your position however, i'd head down to Belize or Guatemala.
Old 07-26-2005 | 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

have a friend that goes there once a year, loves it!