sotck or modded??

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock or modded??

if yall were picking up another f-body, which would you prefer? i cant make up my mind, i have a couple fbodies to look at that range from built motor to boltons. all of them have odds and ends to finish up, so i could still have fun modding them, but is it the same??? kind of like taking credit for someone else work?
its either one of these vehicles, or i can purchase my sisters bone stock t/a and have about 5k cash to play with. i'd be installing everything with the help of friends at a shop. i hear headers are a real bitch to do on these cars....

anyways, just looking for some feedback --> what would yall do since you've been through it before.
where would 5k get me?????

Last edited by kotart13; 10-20-2005 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:04 PM
TECH Junkie

modded, that be me My car already had alot the of the suspension components done and had the basic mods to the motor like lid and Borla exhaust. I dont think I'd buy a car with a S/C or a turbo unless they have documents that the engine has been built to handle it.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

probably one with some mods and made sure they had documents like statted above
Old 10-19-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

no mods, then do them all yourself and take pride in it.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

i would go for a lightly modded car, with basic bolt-ons and some suspension work. Find a good foundation for your modding
Old 10-19-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Stock is the way to go.

That way you can mod it the way you want it and at the same time enjoy seeing the progress!
Old 10-19-2005, 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Brian2006
Stock is the way to go.

That way you can mod it the way you want it and at the same time enjoy seeing the progress!
exactly
when i bought my car I went all over checking for signs of it being modded, found nothing. I wouldnt want to buy a car with mods unless I knew the owner, how it was modded, etc.

But on the flip side, *most* people that mod their car lightly take care of it more so than someone with a stock car... better oil, more frequent services, etc.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldnt by a modded car unless it was just basics like exhaust or intake. Or I knew the car and the owner real good but if it just pops up then I probably wouldnt.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:32 AM
TECH Resident

yea i would buy a car with a cat back and lid, and some other little things.. wouldnt buy a cam car.. or heads cam.. or whatever car though. Unless of course i knew the preivous owner.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:03 PM
Teching In

<--- feel like a dumbass for misspelling stock (sotck).

i really cant decide. after having my truck for 3 yrs and modding it, i'd hate to start all over at ground zero. stock is just so boring --> how far will 5k really get me? most of the cars ive looked at have almost exactly the same parts on them that i would have bought anyways. the only difference being i woulda installed the parts myself.
im not sure what im gonna do, the t/a is an auto car and i really want a m6, so im not sure if its really an option at this point, even being such an incredible deal...
Old 10-20-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would buy a completely stock car, buying someone elses play toy is not the way to go. I would buy a stock car, put on a fast intake, 9 inch rear, and a huge direct port shot, and take it to the street!
Old 10-20-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buying a modded car can be a good value, but its risky. unless you know the person, you really dont know the quality of the work done on the car, or how much they've been beating on the car.

the primary reason i bought a stock car, was because i wanted to start from scratch... i didnt want to inherit someone else's headache.

I bought my firehawk in april with 19,200 miles on it. the previous owner was 62 years old, and drove the car less than 5000 miles a year. the only reason he was selling it, was because he wanted a corvette... in my opinon, THAT is who you want to be buying a car from. the guy babied the car... he even kept a scrapbook with all the paperwork from buying it.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:15 AM
TECH Resident

Ditto slayer

Don't buy from anyone under 30. There are a lot of older guys out there that bought them for looks and a little fun. If its modded it was probably beat on. Why else would you mod a car? A muffler for sound and a lid would be okay unless its an M6. Who knows how many times the guy over reved the motor. A4 is a safer bet but I love my M6.

good luck

Also, spend the money to have a mech scan it and do a vin check on it in case it was in a serious accident.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:22 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Originally Posted by Brian2006
Stock is the way to go.

Old 10-22-2005, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

Personally Id try to get a fairly stock car (air lid, filter, stuff like that is ok) and do all the mods yourself. But, this ends up costing a bunch more than if you bought the car with mods already on it. Also when you buy a car with mods you dont know how bad the car was treated before and what kind of condition the engine is in.

To me, I think the point of owning a "muscle car" is that you do the work yourself and take pride in it. The best thing to me is doing the work yourself and being able to see the progress you have made.

I know people who have money dont have a lot of time to do the work themselves and want the insurance of a shop doing the work, so I understand that.