Temple Race Track

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 02:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Temple Race Track

Is this place open again? Anyone know the sea level and whether the tracks runs slow or fast? How does it compare to the one in Houstin or San Antonio? Finally, is Temple the closest one to the Austin area?

Thanks ahead of time.

I am new to austin and wnat to find a nice track wher I can beat on my SS.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, it's open. http://www.templeacademy.com

It's 700 ft. It does get negative DA once or twice a year (during the winter) when the right high pressure system goes overhead. I've run at -200 ft DA there before. Summertime DA can be 2500+.

As for track quality, it's doubtful. Don't bother with Friday nights. Around here they call it the 'slip-n-slide'.

Saturday afternoons are the best time to run there. Track prep is usually better, and the sun helps warm the track.

Don't expect HRP or SAR. This track is family owned, by a non-racer (now), many years old - and shows it. They'll be lucky to have running water (long story ). A lot of the locals are pretty pissed off that the owner wouldn't sell to the guy who was fixing up the track - and now he's out of the picture, and she's back in charge.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:58 PM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Went there yesterday and it was about the most Ghetto track i've ever been to...

William
Old 10-22-2005, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Damn! 4 shizel! Is there like holes mid track and a toothless guys with a flash light starting the races?
Old 10-22-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

That would be Prairie Hill (east of Waco). Just watch out for the cows and/or chickens on the big end of the track. Usually the lights don't work at PH, so they have a guy running flags...
Old 10-23-2005, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Temple, pretty beat up. I think between the 4 ppl running the starting line they had 6 teeth altogether. The track has a really bad surface, I was stepping out the rear on the 1-2 shift, and I didnt even do that when i went to HRP an hour after it rained and washed out the track. Oh, you can't drive around the water box if you're on streets. and I hope you like pitting in the grass, cause thats all they have.

Track could be better, but its not, too bad. I probably won't go there again, went with will69camaro, and his g/f beat my best time in a mustang gt (don't laugh, 14.49 to 14.51).

Josh
Old 10-23-2005, 10:18 PM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

She only put two runs in and it was her first time driving the car at a track and first time taking a manual trans down the track...That was her first run It will get better Dont forget to mention that GT is stock on HARD tires with 35psi

William
Old 10-24-2005, 01:29 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg Duffield tried to buy and take over the track, but Linda is being a greedy bitch and took it back (LONG story). Greg and his dad were really bringing the conditions up, but I imagine they will fall right back down with Linda back in charge.

I live in NW Austin, so it's about the same drive to go to either TAD or SAR. So.... I go to SAR almost every time.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:30 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by will69camaro
Went there yesterday and it was about the most Ghetto track i've ever been to...

William

Then you prolly never went to Alamo Raceway. GHETTO.

It had a return road that would rip your exhaust off. That POS closed late last year. It could not survive with an excellent track (SAR) close by.