WTF? MLB will make Houston open Minute Maid Park's roof.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 09:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard this crap on the radio this morning...I couldn't believe it
Old 10-25-2005, 09:24 AM
12 Second Club

This is ******* bullshit!! Why don't they just make us stay in Chicago all 7 games!
Old 10-25-2005, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

As far as the blimp issue goes, those companies that own the blimps pay just as much money to cover the NBA finals. Those roofs are closed.

Seriously, MLB execs. and Fox are ******* ***********.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

The league doesn't want to see the Astros win. Anyone remember the commercials that they would play when the NLCS was on? Notice how the Cardinals always had capes and they showed better and longer clips of them.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yes the world is out to get you.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:01 AM
TECH Junkie

"the Astros are 40-18 with the roof closed this season, 16-12 with the roof open and 2-0 with the roof open and closed."

That is why it is called "home field advantage"!

When the roof is open and we have cooler weather, Chicago feels that much closer to home and Bud (butt ******) Selig knows this.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is such bullshit. I hope Uncle Drayton nuts up and says "No... we're going to have to closed". Then MLB will fine him and Matress Mac and step up and offer to pay the fine like he did for VanGundy.

W and Drayton are good friends, maybe he can pull some strings like Mike suggested.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
They just interviewed Mrs. Garner (coach's wife) on the radio. She also said that MLB decided to take up all the front rows of the stadium and boot all of the people that BOUGHT those box seats for the season. Even her normal seat (1st row, behind the dugout) was taken from her, she was moved about midway up that section instead.

This is GAY. I guess we'll see more Fox TV show celebrities sitting in the reserved box seats that are basically owned by the people that sit in them normally.
That's a bunch of bullsh!t right there, but I doubt it is any different elsewhere and is probably in the contract with Fox somewhere. All about the money, not the game itself.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:38 AM
12 Second Club

**** MLB, I have lost all the respect for them and their bullshit league. All it is (MONEY) thats all.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EDALVA21
**** MLB, I have lost all the respect for them and their bullshit league. All it is (MONEY) thats all.
Name one league who isn't all about money?
NBA - check
NFL - check
NHL - check
MLB - check

Championship games, no matter what sport, are made for big time executive people, not for the average fan who has been with the team the entire year. That's just how it is. They're all about revenue and the bottom line... not entertainment for the homer fan.

I wish I had one of those guns they use to shoot tshirts at Rockets and Aeros games... I'd love to launch stuffed Elvis dolls over the wall into the outfield.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:02 PM
TECH Junkie

hawgs - don't forget the NCAA. Every year, the Longhorn Alumni Band gets together and marches at halftime at one UT home game, and every year, the number of seats they give us gets smaller and smaller, especially when the team is doing well. This year, UT didn't even give LHAB enough tickets to give everyone a seat. Their excuse? Well there is no such thing as a single-game ticket in Darryl K. Royal Coca-Cola Academy Taco Bell Joe Jamail UFCU County Line BBQ Field, only season tickets. And UT can't be expected to ask people who paid for season tickets to not come to one game just because LHAB is coming, right? There is even talk of having LHAB not get seats at all, just to march into the stadium during halftime, then march right back out when we're done.

For the record, part of our yearly dues for LHAB are for the face value of a pair of game tickets. No discount.

-Mike
Old 10-25-2005, 12:17 PM
TECH Regular

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playof...ory?id=2202678

Even ESPN.com is biast towards the sox winning.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

part of the agreement of the roof was that we would open it for every game where the temp is under 80 degrees. they just never held anyone to it

Last edited by white man; 10-25-2005 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:14 PM
TECH Junkie

"Bud just wants to make sure there's a standard of practice involved," Courtney said, "so that what we've done in the past is done now and we're not breaking new ground."

Standard? WTF? So, the standard when temps are in the low 40's and it is raining to play a baseball game like we did Sunday night in Chicago? I don't think so bitch. Talk about a bunch of bullshit just pouring out these ********' mouths.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:00 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

It's a lot warmer down in Houston.

I bet it's for the blimps.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

supposed to be really cold, might be shut anyways
Old 10-25-2005, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This has not been decided yet whether or not it will be opened or closed. At least not offical announcment has happened saying it will be opened. I agree MLB is trying to **** the astros over. First the damn Foul ball called as a hit batsman and now this ****. Chicago has been getting by with murder through these playoffs!!

***EDIT***

'The stars at night' will be visible, MLB says
Astros want roof closed for Game 3 for action deep in heart of Texas

In a city known for air conditioning and indoor baseball, the first World Series game in its history may be played under the stars instead of under a roof.

Major League Baseball officials say they, and not the Astros, will have final word on whether the retractable roof at Minute Maid Park will be open for tonight's Game 3 against the Chicago White Sox.

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig said Monday the league will have control of the roof and prefers keep it open, weather permitting. Forecasters are predicting clear skies and 62 degrees at first pitch, with temperatures falling into the mid-50s during the game.

"MLB controls the postseason, certainly the World Series," Selig said. "We really haven't gotten heavily involved in the debate. Our position is that we want teams to do what they do during the regular season.

"If, say, 80 degrees is the cutoff during the regular season, that's what it should be in the postseason. I don't want it to become a farce. Let's say it's 72 degrees. Why wouldn't the roof be open? Why do you have a retractable roof in the first place?"

McLane may have pull
Purpura said no decision on the roof would be made until this afternoon, but he's hopeful MLB will weigh heavily the Astros' preference.

"Our owner (Drayton McLane) and commissioner Selig have a longstanding relationship and they know and respect each other very well," Purpura said.

"They both want what's best of the game and both of them are going to do what's right for the game or right for the Astros."

Considering the Astros played 53 of their 81 regular-season home games this year with the roof closed from start to finish, it's no surprise the players would like it that way during the World Series.

"If that's what it turns out to be — that they want a blimp shot — that's not shooting people straight," third baseman Morgan Ensberg said. "I'm shooting you straight in that I like the advantage of the roof being closed because of the sound and (the wind) doesn't swirl.

"I guess I don't understand why they would want it open or closed. Why didn't they tell us on Aug. 20 what they wanted? It seems kind of ridiculous. If Major League Baseball is involved in telling an owner to open or close the roof, you're going to lose credibility."

Last edited by Bens 2000WS6; 10-25-2005 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

What is the use of spending the money on building a dome if you are going to leave it open.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bens 2000WS6
"MLB controls the postseason, certainly the World Series," Selig said. "We really haven't gotten heavily involved in the debate. Our position is that we want teams to do what they do during the regular season.
If it was the regular season, we'd have it closed. He is such a ******* idiot.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big D's SS
What is the use of spending the money on building a dome if you are going to leave it open.
maybe i'm missing something, but domes don't open