WTF? MLB will make Houston open Minute Maid Park's roof.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ross87t
"the Astros are 40-18 with the roof closed this season, 16-12 with the roof open and 2-0 with the roof open and closed."

That is why it is called "home field advantage"!

When the roof is open and we have cooler weather, Chicago feels that much closer to home and Bud (butt ******) Selig knows this.
Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Our fans are some of the loudest in the league. With the roof shut, it can easily reach 100dB noise levels inside. A true "home field advantage". With the roof open, only about 75dB inside.

Plus, we keep the roof shut for the majority of games, the players are used to having it shut. They typically open it during the week when the sun is out and no games are going on, to take care of the grass. Thats about it.

So, its not really "home field advantage" if they aren't playing like they normally do.....with the roof closed.
Originally Posted by thegreenbullitt
they also like the roof shut to pump up the stadium.

Seems as though Houston should have built a dome then. (?) If you opted to build a retractable dome stadium, what is the point of keeping it closed?

I am loving this, the whole town of Houston and several Astros themselves are all up in arms about the damn roof (which has 0% to do with the outcome of the game), when they should be worrying about being down 2 games in a best-of-seven series to a team that to this date has greatly outplayed them, or facing a pitcher with less losses in the regular season than the mighty-Oswalt (Garland is getting NO respect, but thats a different story) and having to deal with a bullpen that has outpitched them so far in the series.

Keep bitching and complaining about the roof, the commissioner, and the media Houston, it will be over soon enough.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have no idea how hot and humid it gets during the summer here. main part of the roof is to have the ability to grow grass inside instead of having turf.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SPANKY LS1
Seems as though Houston should have built a dome then. (?) If you opted to build a retractable dome stadium, what is the point of keeping it closed?

I am loving this, the whole town of Houston and several Astros themselves are all up in arms about the damn roof (which has 0% to do with the outcome of the game), when they should be worrying about being down 2 games in a best-of-seven series to a team that to this date has greatly outplayed them, or facing a pitcher with less losses in the regular season than the mighty-Oswalt (Garland is getting NO respect, but thats a different story) and having to deal with a bullpen that has outpitched them so far in the series.

Keep bitching and complaining about the roof, the commissioner, and the media Houston, it will be over soon enough.
great job, you're a ****** stop posting
Old 10-25-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I am loving this, the whole town of Houston and several Astros themselves are all up in arms about the damn roof (which has 0% to do with the outcome of the game),
The Astros play most of their home games with the roof shut. Playing under "familiar" conditions is part of having home field advantage. If the roof is closed, the Astros are playing in conditions they aren't as familiar with.

Do you come to the Texas section just to ******* troll the Astros threads? Get a ******* life.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Each It And Eye
Good one. You win. I really have no comeback for that amazing display of intelligence.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

Whatever you all havent out played ****!!! The umpires have out played everybody. Come on all those calls are like we all saw in the replays "against you'll" So what the hell are you talking about. Why dont you just stay your little happy **** off the TEXAS sec. and watch the Astros tie the series up and then go over to your little shitty home and beat you'll there. Guess what we wont crack under pressure while the white sox almost lost it at the end. If it wasnt for the umpires you'll would of been looking at us and the Angels play . Like it or not. Oh by the way say thanks to all the Chicago fans that dont know how to treat the "houston fans" and thanks for those guys that live over there and slap women around!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

No need to lash out at spanky like that. Yes, it sucks that you have to deal with that kind of crap at your own home, but don't think it's of an advantage to our Sox. They as a team right now, really have no experience in playing in cold weather. All 2 or 3 of those bad calls didn't bring in runs. The pitchers couldn't get the next man up out which led to runs scored. I know it sounds biased, but it's true.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ross87t
Do you come to the Texas section just to ******* troll the Astros threads? Get a ******* life.
Yes. By life, do you mean whining like bitches everything that doesn't go my way? Or do you mean complaining about things that I/my team can't control? Or do you mean hiding in your "Texas" section? I noticed i got AWFULLY quiet in the lounge after games one and two....

Originally Posted by silent1
No need to lash out at spanky like that. Yes, it sucks that you have to deal with that kind of crap at your own home, but don't think it's of an advantage to our Sox. They as a team right now, really have no experience in playing in cold weather. All 2 or 3 of those bad calls didn't bring in runs. The pitchers couldn't get the next man up out which led to runs scored. I know it sounds biased, but it's true.
C'mon man, its much easier to blame EVERYONE and EVERYTHING rather than admit the fact that their team is mediocre at best, and isn't playing like a team capable of winning the World Series.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

The roof is just another part fo the home field advantage like others have said. No, the calls didn't make the game, but they didn't help the game either.

As far as the part about being outplayed so far, I haven't seen it. I am impressed with Crede, but otherwise view the Sox as being no better than the Astros. Both teams earned their spot in the Series one way or another, but I haven't seen in my mind anything that sets apart one team from the other.

The Sox have done very little in my own opinion when they could have done a whole lot. i'm speaking of our starter coming out after the 2nd and a number of other things. I think the chance was there for the Sox to put a big show of what they had, but they didn't pull it off. So far in my mind I see these games going back and forth so far and niether team has shown the other one up yet. If you still feel strongly that the Sox have outplayed the Astros then please give me some examples where the Sox have proved to be a better team as of game 2. Winning or barely winning doesn't cut it. Games can go either way and it takes a lot more than what has been done so far to say that one team has totally outplayed another. IMO

Old 10-25-2005, 04:23 PM
Launching!

SPANKY LS1 dont talk to much s*** this might back fire on u
Old 10-25-2005, 04:27 PM
Texas Director

Let me help you out here Spanky. The point is the Houston Astros and not MLB should be the ones making the call on whether or not to have the roof open or not. Its their city, their stadium, and their home field advantage. This is absurd that MLB is dictating the roof issue.

IMO the turning point in the series was the no-call on Dye's foul ball in game two. He was almost a sure out and was looking for a way to get out of making an out, which would have been the third out of the inning and the Astros would have still maintained their 4-2 lead. He gets his base and the next guy Konerko jacks it out. Game over at that point and probably too much to expect Houston to overcome an 0-2 game deficit. Going back to Houston tied at 1-1 is a HUGE difference between being down 0-2. The umps just plain and simple blew a call at a very critical moment and it could end up costing Houston a World Series championship.

Both games were close and very easily have gone either way. Both teams are pretty evenly matched and the Chi-Sox have NOT clearly outplayed the Astros. Chicago probably will end up winning the series, but are they head and shoulders better than the Astros? NO!

I do have a question for you. Be honest. Seriously, how long have you been a White Sox fan? Of are you a Cubs and only jumping on their bandwagon since they made the playoffs this once in a great moon? Try comparing the Sox's record to Houston's over the last 10 years. Its no contest. Houston by far is the superior organization as far as wins and losses.

Last edited by mmiller; 10-25-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

I can guarantee you this... IF the Astros win the series, it will be because we A) choked or B) were outplayed by the Astros, not because Bud Selig is out to get us, or because of rain, stars, roofs, conspiracy theory, media influence, etc.

All I'm saying is ya'll are worried/concerned/hung up on the wrong things. The Astros have bigger problems than the media, roof, umpires and cold weather. They need to find some healthy bodies to pitch the rest of the series, they need to get some runners over from 2nd and 3rd base, Lidge needs to get his head on straight....
Old 10-25-2005, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

Like it was said a few posts up, the White Suxs haven't outplayed anyone. The only one that has caught my eye was Crede. We have just had a few errors, no biggie.

And yall need to learn how to treat visiting fans, and players spouses better. C'mon slapping Biggios wife?!?! Oh well, he got his, by a woman no less. Way to go Biggio's wife!! Way to stick up for yourself!!
Old 10-25-2005, 04:42 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I can guarantee you this... IF the Astros win the series, it will be because we A) choked or B) were outplayed by the Astros, not because Bud Selig is out to get us, or because of rain, stars, roofs, conspiracy theory, media influence, etc.

All I'm saying is ya'll are worried/concerned/hung up on the wrong things. The Astros have bigger problems than the media, roof, umpires and cold weather. They need to find some healthy bodies to pitch the rest of the series, they need to get some runners over from 2nd and 3rd base, Lidge needs to get his head on straight....
You are correct, these small things aren't guaranteed to affect the outcome of the series. But, at least you could have the intelligence to admit that these factors affect "Home Field Advantage" and quit being a troll about these comments. The fact is that we played almost all of our home games with the roof closed, in a climate controlled environment without wind. Our record with the roof closed is much better too. The players are used to fielding the ball with the roof closed. Its called "home field ADVANTAGE" for a reason, and we should be allowed that much.

So, if you are just here to start **** in the TX forum, I can make it where you can't see this forum any longer.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:50 PM
Launching!

UPDATE: Roof to remain open for tonights game
http://www.click2houston.com/sports/5169664/detail.html
Old 10-25-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah - that aint cool at all. I don't agree with that. For some reason, I never have liked selig personally.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=SPANKY LS1]Yes. By life, do you mean whining like bitches everything that doesn't go my way? Or do you mean complaining about things that I/my team can't control? Or do you mean hiding in your "Texas" section? I noticed i got AWFULLY quiet in the lounge after games one and two....

C'mon man, its much easier to blame EVERYONE and EVERYTHING rather than admit the fact that their team is mediocre at best, and isn't playing like a team capable of winning the World Series.[/QUOTE
if your only winning by one run y do you call the astros mediocre? i think this is a great series, 2 close games. i am a houston fan through and through. but the sox are good. it will be close and if the astros pull out the next 2 games where will u be with the mediocre? anyways, the roof being closed or not is a big deal it should be the astors decision not seligs decision, whether or not it has an affect on the game either is still not the majority of the point its the fact one again that the astros will not ultimately decide what happens.

and just for future reference u shouldnt talk **** until its all over and done with. if you know anything about baseball u know everypitch could potentially change the outcome of a game.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
You are correct, these small things aren't guaranteed to affect the outcome of the series. But, at least you could have the intelligence to admit that these factors affect "Home Field Advantage" and quit being a troll about these comments. The fact is that we played almost all of our home games with the roof closed, in a climate controlled environment without wind. Our record with the roof closed is much better too. The players are used to fielding the ball with the roof closed. Its called "home field ADVANTAGE" for a reason, and we should be allowed that much.

So, if you are just here to start **** in the TX forum, I can make it where you can't see this forum any longer.
My point was, yeah, the roof should be able to be closed if the home team wants it, yeah, Selig is a power/money hungry dumbass, yeah the Sox have got a few good calls this series. Its over, move on, what possible good can come out of harping on these things? If I were an Astros fan, I'd be PISSED off that all the focus was on something as stupid as weather or not the roof is closed, thats it.

Originally Posted by mmiller
I do have a question for you. Be honest. Seriously, how long have you been a White Sox fan? Of are you a Cubs and only jumping on their bandwagon since they made the playoffs this once in a great moon? Try comparing the Sox's record to Houston's over the last 10 years. Its no contest. Houston by far is the superior organization as far as wins and losses.
I've ALWAYS been a Sox fan. I am a Chicago fan, so I would like to see the Cubs (or any Chicago team for that matter) win something, but I have always been partial to the Sox. As far as wins and losses, you're right, the Astros have, since 1996 won 882 games (41 more than the Sox 841, an average of 4 per season). How many championships do either team have? Zero. Superior? I'm not to sure about that, both teams have been mediocre for the better part of all of our lives.

Originally Posted by blu98ta
And yall need to learn how to treat visiting fans, and players spouses better. C'mon slapping Biggios wife?!?! Oh well, he got his, by a woman no less. Way to go Biggio's wife!! Way to stick up for yourself!!
Please do not confuse an ignorant, dumbass, drunk ******* with Chicago sports fans, several Astros players said that they were treated well and respectfully...

I'll leave the Texas forum now, unless I am personally attacked (again). I'll see ya'll later, enjoy the game tonight.....
Old 10-25-2005, 05:12 PM
Texas Director

Spanky, please be sure to show up in the Texas section if the Sox lose tonite so we can personally attack you, lol!
Old 10-25-2005, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

All the Sox fans I know are expecting a loss tonight, but I'm still hopeful. If we do end up losing the series to you, there'll be no shame here. Astros have proven why they are where they are. It's just bit frustrating that the Sox don't seem to get their due credit at times. Everyone has forgotten the sweep of the reigning champs without any "bad calls". Good luck to them both.