What College is best for me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oskar_Z28
I graduated from A&M in ME. It's very good programs with very good professors. Getting a good paying job afterwards was fairly easy.

I'm not even from Texas - been here a little over 4 years - but I do know this: A&M grads stick together. Sure, everyone has college buddies no matter where you go, but those Aggies are something else. Maybe the engineering program isn't #1 in the nation, but the "networking" is off the freaking charts!

Knowing what I know now, I'd pick A&M as the best for almost ANY degree - because of the "networking".

You'd think it would be hard for a Husker fan to say that......
Old 10-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I saw on A&M's petrol. site, as of 2005 we're 2nd in petrol. for graduate programs and 1st as undergrad. I'm pretty sure that's actual ranking since it's on the official A&M site. not positive though. Both are fine schools so either one would be a good choice. A&M has a good all around engineering, ag schools and as mentioned....great networking.

William
Old 10-26-2005, 02:19 PM
Ginger Hater

A&M has a med school, but i didn't know that until i got here

A&M and texas go back and forth in the rankings. except in the law school department texas owns A&M in the law school partly b/c we don't have one

but we do have a vet school, where bevo comes to get its shots and check ups
Old 10-26-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I come from a 5A school where the Football Booster Club is prob more powerful than the mayor and the Football coaches make all the decisions regarding how the athletic budget goes and even wheter or not other school programs (Art) will be availiable that year. Does the Football Team/Coaches have more or less power in your College?
Old 10-26-2005, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

UT comes along w/ great networking too, well i know this for my major. In the petroleum industry there are some companies that will hire UT engineers just like how there are some companies run by aggies.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Spenser309
I heard they were ranked pretty well for engineering(17th?) + they just revamped it 2 years ago.
I am a mechanical engineering (Bachelor of Science, not engineering technology) senior at Baylor. it's ranked well (12th or 14th nationally--can't remember.... but it was top 10 last year, I think?). I transferred to Baylor from University of Michigan because my mom had some health problems (lives in houston). When I chose baylor I literally thought it was gonna be easy/a joke. daaamn, was I wrong. Umichigan's engineering Program is the best in the nation for public schools.... that being said, Baylor's is much much more difficult.

It doesn't get the attention it deserves because it is very very small--but if you want to go to a school that definitely prepares you well for literally anything that has to do with mechanical engineering (and KICKS YOUR ***), then Baylor's for you.

-Mike

also, as rude as this might sound.... I wouldn't *expect* to stay in Baylor's engineering program long. For instance, the year I started there were about 90 freshman in the fall and about 90 freshman the spring (total of 180 kiddos). This May there's supposed to be about 15 ME's graduating. nearly everyone quits after freshman year. sooo, my point is: just 'beware'

Last edited by Red03SVT; 10-27-2005 at 01:58 AM.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so 11 of every 12 students drop out, damn. Iono if im into that. I will have to much to do to be able to focus that hard on a ME Degree. In the fall i work a minimum of 20hrs a week prob more like 40 and thats in High School. College should be harder and more demanding.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:37 PM
12 Second Club

Tech, we got the finest women over here, and the engineering is good too.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Red03SVT
I am a mechanical engineering (Bachelor of Science, not engineering technology) senior at Baylor.

Not to be an ***, but engineering technology is a bachelor of science degree. And yes I'm an ENTC major, and yes I did switch to it from ME because it's easier; just trying to stick up for the integrity of the program here at A&M.

Oh yeah, if you're wanting to be a P.E.(professional engineer) after you graduate, you can still go the ENTC route and get licsensed. It just has to be from an ABET-accredited school (and I'm sure you already knew that).
Old 10-28-2005, 12:28 AM
TECH Resident

heres why you shoudl go to texas a&m

besides the awesome people in the city of bryan/college station, and the fact that the whole city IS a college town heres the one thing that matters.

Texas A&M Sports Car Club. The nations largest, and best collegiate bases sports car club. We hold our OWN auto-x events, that are some of if not THE cheapest in the state.

College Station also has Texas World Speedway.

so in conclusion, college station and texas a&m > *
Old 10-28-2005, 02:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HotRod68Camaro

enough said
Old 10-28-2005, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TexZ
Not to be an ***, but engineering technology is a bachelor of science degree. And yes I'm an ENTC major, and yes I did switch to it from ME because it's easier; just trying to stick up for the integrity of the program here at A&M.

Oh yeah, if you're wanting to be a P.E.(professional engineer) after you graduate, you can still go the ENTC route and get licsensed. It just has to be from an ABET-accredited school (and I'm sure you already knew that).
I just reread my post--I think I said it in a different way than you read it I meant to basically say that we're in different majors--kind of a way of saying "well, I dunno about engineering technology,specifically,because I'm B.Science). sorry about that!

-Mike

P.S. I was meaning my post moreso as a warning to those who think it'd be a breeze. it's broken alot of hearts I guess what I'm trying to say is I didn't mean it as a "nanny nanny boo boo my school is harder and therefore better than you" kinda post. lol.... cause, uh, honestly....I hate baylor.... but that's just me.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by HotRod68Camaro
actually, playboy doesnt agree... they said, as to be released in an upcoming issue, the hottest girls in the nation go to the University of Texas @ Austin.

I will be going after my P.E. my spring semester of my senior year... I cant wait.

And we too have a high drop out rate. Due to Petrol. engineering being the smallest in the nation, we only have 300 total undergrad and grad. compared to the 58,000 kids that go to UT we started off (when i was a freshman) with 77 kids in my class, and it is down to around 35. And I still have 2 more years to go. Engineering is hard, and you have to keep your head in the books!

Good luck with your choice.

Tyler
Hook'em
Old 10-28-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |

I will be going after my P.E. my spring semester of my senior year... I cant wait.
You mean FE test. You can't take the PE exam until you have worked for a while 5 years (I think). Then you have to fill out this big application, then you get approved to take a test. Once you pass the test you can call yourself PE in Texas.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Teching In

atm is ok but we got better lookin womens at baylor
Old 10-28-2005, 07:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Oskar_Z28
You mean FE test. You can't take the PE exam until you have worked for a while 5 years (I think). Then you have to fill out this big application, then you get approved to take a test. Once you pass the test you can call yourself PE in Texas.

You have to wait 4 years to take the PE exam. You can take the FE exam while still in school. You can get exempt from both the FE exams and PE exams if you have more than 12 years of professional experience. This is in Texas only.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:21 PM
TECH Junkie

texas state, bc the girls are hot and you can get drunk and float the river in the spring(probably see some **** well actually, you will for sure ), your 20 min from austin, 20 min from san antonio, an hr from a&m
Old 10-28-2005, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

If you want to do engineering, go to A&M. It has the widest selection of engineering programs and every single one of them is great. If you don't like one discipline, there are plenty of others to choose from. We have 10 "traditional" engineering majors as well as the ETID department which consists of Telecom, Electronics, Manufacturing and Mechanical Tech, and Industrial Distribution. No other school has near the selection. You will find your niche here, and you will get a good job when you graduate--with multiple offers if you do well.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I 'm just gonna go DCCCD. Northlake here I come.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:07 AM
Teching In

(deleted)

Last edited by bessie; 01-31-2009 at 11:50 PM.