Clemens

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no matter what they did last year (world series and all), the astros will not have a $100 million payroll. that's where it would be if they signed clemens at $20 million/season.

not going to happen with current ownership.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:08 PM

The team needs more consistant power hitters like what the cards have....I say let him go as he did not really show me a whole lot during the world series anyway.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:32 AM
TECH Regular

Default screw athletes

i love clemens, but he has enuff money, why not play for less?. oh well, at least u guys finally know what its like to be a life long CUBS fan. they have more money than the yankess but won't spend it cuz Wrigley field is always sold out. at least u guys got to see ur team in the world series. Holy Cow
Old 12-09-2005, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BADZ
The team needs more consistant power hitters like what the cards have....I say let him go as he did not really show me a whole lot during the world series anyway.
That's a pretty idiotic response. Clemens underperformed last season and did not really show you much? Sure, his brief 2 innings (left with an injury) worth of work in the World Series left some to be desired, but look at his other starts (or coming in from the bullpen against the Braves) in the post season or his 1.87 league leading ERA. To say his performance last season was less than stellar is absurd... ANY team in the MLB would kill for that kind of season out of their #1 guy.

You "fans" really ought watch a few games before flapping your gums pretending to know what you're talking about. Though it is pretty comical for non-bandwagon fans to hear you people talk.

Old 12-09-2005, 11:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The Astros are doing what they have to do. They can't sit around and wait a few months while Roger makes a decision whether or not to play baseball next year. For all we know, Clemens and the Astros could already have a verbal agreement (so to speak) for a return in May. Who knows? Going home to his family every night to sleep in his own bed may be worth more to him than the extra money. We'll see.

If one more person says "get rid of Bagwell", I'm going to puke. We CAN'T just "get rid" of Bagwell. He's in a contract that will pay him his money whether he is pinch hitting next season, or sitting on his couch at home watching the game. I'd rather watch him bat a lack-luster (for Jeff Bagwell) .250 w/ 50 RBIs and 12 HR next season than watch the Astros pay him to stay home.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:47 AM
Texas Director

Regardless of whether Bagwell plays or not next year he's absolutely KILLING the Astros from a payroll standpoint. Its an obvious understatement to say that he's not productive and is a liability to the team due to his physical circumstances. Think about it, if the 'Stros had the money available thats going to Bagwell to spend on a free agent or aquire in a trade a top notch run producer what they could do. IMO Bagwell should retire gracefully. Maybe he needs the money, I don't know, but for what the Astros are paying him and for what he produces on the field is a shame.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:17 PM

Look, that's my opinion and yes I was at the Brave games @ MMP. If your hurt, sit your *** on the bench and let someone else pitch....I understand about injuries but again, if you put your healthy players in order, you might have a better chance of winning IMO. Having hurt players on the field will cost games period!!!!! Bagwell is and example!!!

Originally Posted by hawgs
That's a pretty idiotic response. Clemens underperformed last season and did not really show you much? Sure, his brief 2 innings (left with an injury) worth of work in the World Series left some to be desired, but look at his other starts (or coming in from the bullpen against the Braves) in the post season or his 1.87 league leading ERA. To say his performance last season was less than stellar is absurd... ANY team in the MLB would kill for that kind of season out of their #1 guy.

You "fans" really ought watch a few games before flapping your gums pretending to know what you're talking about. Though it is pretty comical for non-bandwagon fans to hear you people talk.

Old 12-09-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BADZ
Bagwell is and example!!!
When did Bagwell "cost us a game"?

If Bagwell is a liability, then half the other guys on the team are too. Bagwell could bat .240 in his ******* sleep.

Is it time for Bags to retire? I'd lean more towards yes, but if he is feeling pretty good and can come back one more year and bat .250+, I say let him play. Like I said above, half of our healthy roster couldn't put up the numbers Bags can injured.
Regardless, he is a team player and I'm pretty confident he'll base his final decision on what's best for the team.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:19 PM
Texas Director

IMO its pretty apparant Baggy just wants the $17 mil that he's due this year even though he's a liability to the team both monetarily and physically. His contract is one of the main reasons the Astros can't go out and sign another top notch bat.

Ross, sure guys that can bat .240 are a dime a dozen in the majors and make a hell of a lot less money than Bags, so why would you want to pay someone $17 mil to do what a league minimum guy could do? I don't know the in's and out's of MLB contracts, but if Houston could some how, some way get rid of Bagwell and his contract it would be a win-win deal for the team.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mmiller
but if Houston could some how, some way get rid of Bagwell and his contract it would be a win-win deal for the team.
I won't disagree with that, but I don't believe it's possible. All I am saying is that if the Astros are going to have to pay him his $17 million (which they agreed to during the signing of the contract), he might as well play. I'd take a .250 batter that can still drive in 60 or so RBIs over some dickweed .219 batter with 1 hr and 22 RBIs.

I have heard Brad Lidge + another player trade rumors for a big stick (possibly Manny?).
I'm thinking Lidge + Everett for Miguel Tejada.

Last edited by ross87t; 12-09-2005 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:46 PM
Texas Director

I don't know about going after Man-Ram due to his "issues", but I'd trade Lidge and A. Everett for Tejada.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

There are other "rumors" out there. Here's one of a possible trade scenario. Pretty interesting. Basically, it's ***** T. for Kerry Wood.
http://www.suntimes.com/output/deluc...deluca092.html
Old 12-13-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Junkie

From astros.com :
"Bagwell has been working through the fall and winter to strengthen his right shoulder through weight-lifting and throwing exercises. The news that he's lifting weights is huge, considering he hasn't been able to do that in four years. Phil Garner saw him recently and said he looks like he's bulked up a bit, and that he's feeling good. I think some of the skeptics are going to be surprised at what Bagwell's going to be able to do next year. "
Old 12-13-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Junkie

I hope you're right. I really want to like Bagwell as a player again.

-Mike