Astros getting another bat.

Old 01-03-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Astros getting another bat.

Preston Wilson
Read it all. He had a league-leading 141 RBIs in 03!

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASApp...=.jsp&c_id=hou
Old 01-03-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is a great addition. He will definitely give the middle of the lineup the boost they need. He strikes out a lot, but I think if he sees 500-525 at bats you can pencil him in for 100+ RBI's... especially with the short porch in left at Minute Maid.

Guess he plays left, Taveras in center, and Berkman in right? That is if Bagwell can throw a ball at first of course. Lane is kinda the odd man out, hope that doesn't mean he is going to be out soon.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Not a shabby pick-up. Not a big name guy, but if he produces, I'll be happy.

-Mike
Old 01-03-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jesse Jackson just announced he is going to come to Houston lecture the entire Astros organization on how to deal with having a black teammate.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Junkie

NICE!

-Mike
Old 01-03-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

waht an idiot....JJ needs to stay his *** at home
Old 01-03-2006, 09:42 PM
12 Second Club

I can't wait until the season starts again.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hawgs
Guess he plays left, Taveras in center, and Berkman in right? That is if Bagwell can throw a ball at first of course. Lane is kinda the odd man out, hope that doesn't mean he is going to be out soon.
Im thinking the Astros are gonna start the slow process of phasing Bagwell out. I think they'll be better off with Berkman at first with Wilson,Taveras and Lane in the outfield, thats just me though.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Texas Director

I think Wilson is an OK addition. IMO the Astros waited too long to pull the trigger and lost out on some potentially better players. The guy I really wanted to see come to Houston is Miguel Tejada. I heard that there were ongoing talks between the Astros and Orioles, but I guess they couldn't agree on the players that would be involved in the trades to satisfy both clubs. I'm still holding out hope that Clemens will decide to pitch for the Astros in May.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chadtx01
Im thinking the Astros are gonna start the slow process of phasing Bagwell out. I think they'll be better off with Berkman at first with Wilson,Taveras and Lane in the outfield, thats just me though.
Bagwell even playing this year is still up in the air, but I think regardless if he does play... it will be his last season. His contract will be up and I think he will hang them up after this season (if he even plays). Berkman is definitely the Astros first basemen of the future. I agree, I'd rather have Berkman at first any day of the week... but if he is not, it's because Bagwell thinks he can be an asset to this team. Bagwell is a good guy and is going to get paid regardless if he plays or not; if he can't be effective I think he'll step down.

I think there has to be something going on behind the scenes with Clemens. I have a hard time believing that if T-Pup knew Clemens wasn't coming back they wouldn't be shopping for another starting pitcher. You can't expect to go with a Pettitte, Oswalt, Backe, Wandy, and Astacio line up and win. Their inactivity in signing a new starting pitcher leads me to believe there is something going on behind the scenes.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

I just heard on the news that Wilson actually called Houston wanting to play here. Should be a excellent addition to the lineup.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Hey guys. Do you think there is any possibility of a Everett and Lane (or ***** T) for Tejada?
Old 01-04-2006, 08:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Doubtful. It's sounding more like Tejada will go to Boston in exchange for ManRam. From what I've heard, Baltimore wants too much for Tejada (i.e. Lidge and Backe). Tejada is a good bat, but I'd rather not see them give up a whole bunch of young talent for him.

-Mike
Old 01-04-2006, 08:34 AM
12 Second Club

Not *****, I think Lane sounds better. Lane as a power hitter will have his ups and downs. Taveras has speed, can cover the outfield and steal when he wants. So IMO I think ***** T is way more of an asset to the team than Lane is.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ross87t
Hey guys. Do you think there is any possibility of a Everett and Lane (or ***** T) for Tejada?
T-Pup just said on SportsRadio610 that the O's want 3 big league players that can start for Tejada. I'd hate to see the Astros give up all of their defense to become a big offensive team. You do that and you have problems with starting pitchers getting out of early innings and puts a bigger load on the relief pitchers and closers. I don't know if they really need to make a complete 180 and go from a defensive team to a big offensive team.

He also said that he went into the locker room yesterday and all of Roger's stuff is still in his locker so.. take that as you may.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:18 AM
Texas Director

I'd be willing to give up Lidge and Everett for Tejada. I'd bet that the Astros have already made that offer and the O's tuned 'em down.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmiller
I'd be willing to give up Lidge and Everett for Tejada. I'd bet that the Astros have already made that offer and the O's tuned 'em down.
Of course they turned it down, I just said that Tim Pupura said that the O's want 3 big time starters.

I wouldn't do a Lidge/Everett or more trade for Tejada because of Tejada's contract. They could give up 3 good players for him, then he could demand to be traded next year... and I don't like the idea of that. Same thing happened with Alou.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hawgs
I think there has to be something going on behind the scenes with Clemens. I have a hard time believing that if T-Pup knew Clemens wasn't coming back they wouldn't be shopping for another starting pitcher. You can't expect to go with a Pettitte, Oswalt, Backe, Wandy, and Astacio line up and win. Their inactivity in signing a new starting pitcher leads me to believe there is something going on behind the scenes.
I agree with you on the Clemens thing. I honestly think that Roger will pitch the World Baseball Classic, take some time off and then resign with the Astros for the stretch run. Even if they aren't that competative, it'll give him a chance to play with Koby or Kolby or whatever his oldest son is named.

The kid was tearing it up last year in rookie ball, and seeing as the Astros are grooming him to be a catcher, what better way for Roger to end his career than to pitch a game to his son. Im guessing they could find a roster spot when they make September callups if it'll bring The Rocket back.

I could be on crack, maybe its just wishful thinking, but thats the best case scenario, the rest of their offseason has been kind of depressing.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

this is a great power addition to our lineup! He strikes out a lot, but I am sure he will do more good than bad with Ensberg, Bagwell and Berkman!
Old 01-05-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Junkie

I have a feeling we made this move, knowing Berkman will be moved to first base and Bagwell will step down to pinch hit.

Search this Thread