Dan03mach got drug tonight

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
that motor is on borrowed time...
After mike said that about one of my buddies car…it blew up a week later! Lol. GO MIKE!
Old 01-09-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BadCompany VP WS6
After mike said that about one of my buddies car…it blew up a week later! Lol. GO MIKE!
a few things to make a motor last...oil, and the right plugs to keep the heat out of the chambers...

LS1's have oiling issues since its not dedicated to the crank and rods first....so i run a longer oil filter to up the capacity of oil in the pan for hard launches.

Cold *** plugs to keep the cylinders running cool to make more power and prolong the life of hyper-junk pistons.

then you have fuel...gotta have it to make power and quality fuel at that, dont forget volume...without a decent volume of fuel i dont care what the pressure is doing..You can have pressure but not enough volume.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a few things to make a motor last...oil, and the right plugs to keep the heat out of the chambers...

LS1's have oiling issues since its not dedicated to the crank and rods first....so i run a longer oil filter to up the capacity of oil in the pan for hard launches.

Cold *** plugs to keep the cylinders running cool to make more power and prolong the life of hyper-junk pistons.

then you have fuel...gotta have it to make power and quality fuel at that, dont forget volume...without a decent volume of fuel i dont care what the pressure is doing..You can have pressure but not enough volume.
That should be taken care of now Thanks for your help Mike! I’ll let you know when we get the car rolling to bring it to you.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:41 PM
9 Sec. Club!!!

I have the TR-6 plugs which HPP put in there before they tuned the car, the 125 shot pills and the A/F if pretty much a constant 11.0.. I know any motor can be on borrowed time with Nitrous, but they have tuned many motors with this same set up and haven't had any of them go bad yet to my know how... I think it should last, but I'm going to be building a stroker motor sometime this year and putting a blower on the car..
Old 01-09-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BadCompany VP WS6
That should be taken care of now Thanks for your help Mike! I’ll let you know when we get the car rolling to bring it to you.
NP dude...

ive got one set left...

anyone that runs a tr6 for a race application is packed full of stpuidty. not only can you make more power with a colder plug, but you can lessen the risks of detonation by a huge margin! projected tips are for fuel economy. if you are modding your car for fuel economy you need to get out of the game and sale off all your **** and then let me slap the **** out of you for thinking any different.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

NP dude...

ive got one set left...

anyone that runs a tr6 for a race application is packed full of stpuidty. not only can you make more power with a colder plug, but you can lessen the risks of detonation by a huge margin! projected tips are for fuel economy. if you are modding your car for fuel economy you need to get out of the game and sale off all your **** and then let me slap the **** out of you for thinking any different.
and trust me, i know manny as well. for someone out there racing like you do, not only do you need that extra competitive advantage but you need to really start going through a check list every pass you make. you will thank me later.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:48 PM
9 Sec. Club!!!

and trust me, i know manny as well. for someone out there racing like you do, not only do you need that extra competitive advantage but you need to really start going through a check list every pass you make. you will thank me later.
What do you recomend Mike.. I have the timing set at 19* on the N20 and 23* N/A... What plugs and what kind of check list do you think I should do??
Old 01-09-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As he was thankful already when we changed plugs and went with the 9’s and the good fuel…pulled the wheels the first pass on the street He’s car should move and hopefully be down in the 5’s shortly. Just a small goal.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dan03mach
What do you recomend Mike.. I have the timing set at 19* on the N20 and 23* N/A... What plugs and what kind of check list do you think I should do??
Put some TR9’s in the motha! Lol :shrug: I donno.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dan03mach
I have the TR-6 plugs which HPP put in there before they tuned the car, the 125 shot pills and the A/F if pretty much a constant 11.0.. I know any motor can be on borrowed time with Nitrous, but they have tuned many motors with this same set up and haven't had any of them go bad yet to my know how... I think it should last, but I'm going to be building a stroker motor sometime this year and putting a blower on the car..
That 4.6 is on borrowed time w/150 shot. The rings will over expand from the heat in the ring lands and break the piston. Assuming you dont detonate it first and kill a piston or two. Ive got 125 pills in my stang, but it hardly ever gets sprayed. As much as you spray that car, Id get busy with a forged bottom build.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:50 PM
8 Second Club

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

So, what plugs for a LSX based engine with a 200 shot?
Old 01-09-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AgFormula02

Mike had us run TR9’s and race gas which it was tuned for…the car responded VERY well with that amount of nitrous going thru the car…well just a tad less.

He recommended TR8’s and the 9’s…but was pushing for us to put the 9’s in. Glad we did.

Just know they aren’t for every day driving lol.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

ngk r5671a-8 minimum. if you know how to read the threads on the plugs itself, that will tell you if the 8 is cold enough or if you should go to the 9's...obviously you arent going to drive around daily on them though. I did drive daily on the 8's though...but i would swap at the track to the 9's. took about 30 minutes for me and i still have the AC/Heater box in my car.

these plugs are also good for the 4.6 stuff.

My track checklist consisted of timeslips....
with a little book. Starting bottle pressure (1150, purge down to a nice plume to an ending 1050-1075 launch psi)
write down tire pressure before and after the pass. make 2-3 runs on one bottle then change it for a fresh one. your first hit on a fresh bottle was always my fastest as well as on fresh tires....after about 15-20 passes its time for a new set of meats. Sure you can use them all up...but you lose consistency after 15-20 passes in a car like ours...Faster cars change them every 3-5 passes! Make notes of any suspension changes, what shock setting is what, etc. You have to really clear your thoughts when doing this, but isolating variables and having a nitrous setup on any car needs to be well maintained and cared for. You can NOT just install it and spray it and expect a car to live forever....but you can make it last longer by controlling the variables that you as a driver/crew man can do on your own. Know what you are looking for in plugs...every car will like something different but what you have im sure is a good starting point.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:09 PM
8 Second Club

ngk r5671a-8 minimum. if you know how to read the threads on the plugs itself, that will tell you if the 8 is cold enough or if you should go to the 9's...obviously you arent going to drive around daily on them though. I did drive daily on the 8's though...but i would swap at the track to the 9's. took about 30 minutes for me and i still have the AC/Heater box in my car.

these plugs are also good for the 4.6 stuff.

My track checklist consisted of timeslips....
with a little book. Starting bottle pressure (1150, purge down to a nice plume to an ending 1050-1075 launch psi)
write down tire pressure before and after the pass. make 2-3 runs on one bottle then change it for a fresh one. your first hit on a fresh bottle was always my fastest as well as on fresh tires....after about 15-20 passes its time for a new set of meats. Sure you can use them all up...but you lose consistency after 15-20 passes in a car like ours...Faster cars change them every 3-5 passes! Make notes of any suspension changes, what shock setting is what, etc. You have to really clear your thoughts when doing this, but isolating variables and having a nitrous setup on any car needs to be well maintained and cared for. You can NOT just install it and spray it and expect a car to live forever....but you can make it last longer by controlling the variables that you as a driver/crew man can do on your own. Know what you are looking for in plugs...every car will like something different but what you have im sure is a good starting point.
Always good to pick up some good advise.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Always good to pick up some good advise.
im sure CJ., your crew chief will disagree!
Old 01-09-2006, 04:10 PM
8 Second Club

Mike:

I take my advice from anyone willing to offer it.
CJ, along with the entire RPM crew have been great help on getting my car squared away. As have you. (Yes, believe it or not, I do listen to some of your rants)
I don't think I can call CJ my Crew Chief. But he was nice enough to give me some good avice and show me what I was doing wrong with the car.
In fact, the best pass was with him driving.
Now, if I see you at a track, you know I will be asking for your input.
You can even take the car down the track and give me some advice/ideas.

I am the first one to admit I don't know 1/4 of the stuff I should know.
I just try to gather data from those who have gone faster than I have.

So, do you think I can get a 4L60 into the 5s in the 1/8?
Just looking for your opinion.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mike:

I take my advice from anyone willing to offer it.
CJ, along with the entire RPM crew have been great help on getting my car squared away. As have you. (Yes, believe it or not, I do listen to some of your rants)
I don't think I can call CJ my Crew Chief. But he was nice enough to give me some good avice and show me what I was doing wrong with the car.
In fact, the best pass was with him driving.
Now, if I see you at a track, you know I will be asking for your input.
You can even take the car down the track and give me some advice/ideas.

I am the first one to admit I don't know 1/4 of the stuff I should know.
I just try to gather data from those who have gone faster than I have.

So, do you think I can get a 4L60 into the 5s in the 1/8?
Just looking for your opinion.
Can it be done, Larry? Of course it can...would I waste my money on it when there are better options out there for that kind of money it takes to build a stout 4l60?, no. If you have to have OD go with the metric stuff that came in the GN's. I know this car isnt your daily anymore. Stick a real trans in the car and dont look back. I still got excellent mileage on the highway with my t400 and 28" BFG's for the road...My honda was meant to have OD, my Bird wasnt
Old 01-09-2006, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

good runs sorry I missed it
Cant wait to get back out there
Old 01-09-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

yep my bad for not being out yet probablly will next time looks like yall had fun though!!
Old 01-09-2006, 11:02 PM
Launching!

So nick hows that turd running?