Astros to Bagwell: Please go away

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006 | 06:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Look, I really hope he's successful, not because he's Jeff Bagwell, but because he's Astros First Basemen Jeff Bagwell. If he does well, he's helping the team. It's not like I'm hoping he'll fall flat on his face, because that won't help the team. I just hope that he is honest, both with The Astros and with himself. It's the Astros' fault for agreeing to this contract, but if he goes into this season knowing that he either won't make it through 162 games or will be a singles hitter with a limp rag for a throwing arm, then that's not helping anyone. Not The Astros and (aside from the obvious financial windfall) not Jeff Bagwell.

-Mike
I agree with you, and I think he still has a full year (hopefully a good one) left in him.

I just don't like all of the negative words being said about the guy (not just hear...on other forums too).

On a side note, I'd really like to see a Everett, Taveras, Lidge (flame suit one) for Tejada trade, so we could see this lineup.

1. Biggio - 2nd base
2. Wilson - Center Field
3. Tejada - SS (traded for Taveras, Lidge, & Everett...I'd agree with this trade.)
4. Berkman - Left Field
5. Ensberg - 3rd base
6. Bagwell - 1st base
7. Lane - Right Field
8. Ausmus - Catcher
9. Pitcher
Old 01-13-2006 | 07:02 PM
TECH Junkie

That's reportedly what was offered for Tejada and the O's nixed the deal. He has since rescinded his trade demand and is supposedly happy to stay in Baltimore. I'll be interested to see how happy he is before the trade deadline. Everett and Taveras are totally expendable for Tejada, but I still wonder about Lidge. The pitching (and in many cases, the bullpen) are what made the Astros successful last year. It certainly wasn't their killer offensive lineup. If they trade Lidge, who's the closer? Wheeler?

-Mike
Old 01-13-2006 | 09:10 PM
Texas Director

Originally Posted by ross87t
Typical Bandwagoneer thinking. You want to praise a team while they're up, but want nothing to do with them while they're down. It's called a bandwagon and it appears you like to jump on and off of it.

He's earned his right to make a decision based on how he feels physically. You don't really know how Bagwell is feeling. I think he'll base his decision totally on what he feels is "best for the team".
Ross, I'm not a blind Bagwell supporter like you are. Everyone. Yes, everyone including Mr. Bagwell should have to earn his money. He's had his day, and when he was on he was ON, but it's OVER. I want what's best for the Astros and for them to win, but Bags is done and its not in either the team's or Baggy's best interest to try and fit a square peg in a round hole. The team seems like they're facing the reality and finality of it but Jeff just can't seem to let go.

How much more obvious does it need to be? He went to have Dr. James Andrews examine him yesterday and came back with basically nothing new to report whether he was better or worse. He still has some tests pending that have to be evaluated, but if he were better Dr. Andrews would have recognized that and at least said he's making progress, which he didn't do, so its pretty evident that he's still injured.

I've never been a bandwagon fan to any of my favorite teams and I never will be. I guess I'm sometimes too brutally honest for some people's taste though. Being honest has nothing to do with being a bandwagoner. Honesty is about reality, and the reality of the situation, whether you want to face it or not, is that Bags is unfortunately done.
Old 01-13-2006 | 11:33 PM
20 Year Member

Well said MM......
Old 01-22-2006 | 09:52 PM
TECH Junkie

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2302547

Looks like they really mean it.

-Mike
Old 01-24-2006 | 02:48 PM
12 Second Club

"It's not personal, Sonny, it's business."

Michael Corleone
Old 01-24-2006 | 06:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by alexWS6
hope the door doesnt hit him

LMAO I have been saying that for a few years now.....

but it does suck he is one of the players I grew up watching....

but his time is past due....

B
Old 01-25-2006 | 11:01 AM
TECH Regular

bring back glenn davis