Should Vince have stayed or gone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 04:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should Vince have stayed or gone?

I'm a little undecided on what I feel better about; Vince young going to the pros, or him staying at UT for his senior year. I know he's already decided to go, and is giving credit on his decision to his pastor. Now let's think for a second...If you're a pastor of a church and one of your members has the choice to play college ball (with no income), or go pro (huge income)...which do you choose? All I have to say is one word that went through that pastor's mind..."TITHE". HA HA I've been a fan of the longhorns my entire life, and I've never seen a better game than the Rose Bowl. I don't know how many times I took my hat off, moved on the couch, put my hat on, turned it backwards....etc. just in case it might help them out. So what do you think? Should he have stayed or did he make the right choice in going? Will he get first pick since it's the Texans?
Old 01-12-2006, 04:37 AM
On The Tree

I think he is smart in going now. Right now he is one of the best quarterbacks college football has ever seen(in my opinion), and right now alot of pro teams want him. But say he stays with the Horns and next year has a terrible season or worse(an injury), then his value to the pros is going to drop.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:56 AM
Texas Director

I listened to an interview on the news with VY's pastor where he said he "had a dream" a couple of days after the Rose Bowl that Vince should go pro, and that he called him the next day and advised him to leave college early. Selfishly, I would have liked to for Vince to stay and try and win the Heisman and go for a repeat of the national championship, but he's making the right decision for himself, regardless of what his pastor saw in his "$dream$".
Old 01-12-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

he needed to leave... only thing he left to win was the hiesman, and after that performance, everybody knew who the real hiesman was. With that said, I'm glad I was able to not only meet, but watch him play the past 3 years @ UT. I hope he does well and shows the pros what Texas offers to the pros.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the texans get him them might be able to win at least 3 games this year.

Thomas
Old 01-12-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

1 more year of seasoning for the pros, that's what I think. 1 more year of learning would not of have hurt him, unless he actually got hurt.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:08 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Its all about risk.

VY stays at UT and completes a worthless degree, playing football, and gets injured? His football career would be over, and he would be broke.

VY goes pro, and earns millions of dollars. If he gets injured, he can always go back to school to finish the degree, and could retire on the millions of dollars. He would never have to work again.

not a tough choice.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Its all about risk.

VY stays at UT and completes a worthless degree, playing football, and gets injured? His football career would be over, and he would be broke.

VY goes pro, and earns millions of dollars. If he gets injured, he can always go back to school to finish the degree, and could retire on the millions of dollars. He would never have to work again.

not a tough choice.
Exactly, I don't think he could have left UT on a higher note than the performance at the Rose Bowl.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:26 AM
BP
TECH Enthusiast

He's not guaranteed a Heisman and I don't see them getting a national championship again next year. His stock isn't going to be any higher than it is right now, take the money and run!

Hopefully in a couple of years we can quit hearing about Michael Vick and everyone talks about Vince Young and his 200 yards rushing plus 300 yards passing games.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Veteran

And I'm not totally sure that I would even want to win the Heisman anyways. How many Heisman winners can any of us remember lately that have actually done well in the NFL, yet alone lasted longer than a few years. I mean, thats not to say that VY is your average player or even your average heisman winner quality player, but still.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

i know of a couple :o
Old 01-12-2006, 02:55 PM
LS7 Member

Its all about risk.

not a tough choice.
+1
He would stupid not to leave right now.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

heisman winners that have done well in the NFL:

carson palmer
ricky williams
eddie george
barry sanders
jim brown
vinnie testaverde
roger staubach
OJ simpson
jim plunkett
archie griffin
tony dorset
soon to be reggie bush and matt leinhart
and there are more.......

the heisman curse isnt all that. some people just cant adjust and play at the pro level, and some had unfortunate injuries.

but young is wise not to risk the injury and what ever else might happen to him a UT next year.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Who does Texas have that can actually play at the QB position? Did another quarterback even play a snap this whole season? I definately know they don't have another VY waiting, but is there someone to at least get my hopes up about?
Old 01-14-2006, 05:39 PM
9 Second Club

Its all about risk.

not a tough choice.
Well said Tony....
Old 01-14-2006, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

As a die-hard Sooners fan, i'm glad to see him go. i think if VY would have stayed he'd have a good chance of repeating and winning the heisman. But $$$ talks and Vince walks. I don't blame him i'd take the money and run too. you can always go back to school after his football career is over.

.thomas.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Of course you're happy...Any OU fan should be happy. Just like I was happy when Adrian Peterson was injured in the Red River Shootout. Losing Vince is not good news for the Longhorns, but I can definitely see how any OU fan would agree that he made a good choice to go to the pros.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1LSWON
if the texans get him them might be able to win at least 3 games this year.

Thomas
And from the looks of the rose bowl put all the points on the board himself but a wins a win.

But I agree with his decision, he should have went. If he was to stay in college and get hurt this upcomming season, there goes all his NFL offers.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

reggie bush has one "bad" game in his whole college career, and all of a sudden he isnt worthy of the heisman?
Old 01-15-2006, 06:00 AM
TECH Regular

oh-no, what will the mighty horns do now?damn, i will get flamed for this. If the Texas program is as good as people think it is, they will be fine,and Vince has do to what is best for him. Best of luck to him in the NFL

EDIT:thats just part of college ball, it sucks sometimes seeing great players go

Last edited by BULLET99Z28; 01-15-2006 at 03:43 PM.