Is the License Plate Law still in effect?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006 | 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

§ 502.404. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE OR REGISTRATION INSIGNIA. (a) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle

is the windshield not on the front of the vehicle? sure its not on the very front most tip of the vehicle, but that would be like saying that the face is not the front of a girl because her **** stick out further than her face.
Old 01-18-2006 | 10:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
§ 502.404. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE OR REGISTRATION INSIGNIA. (a) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle

is the windshield not on the front of the vehicle? sure its not on the very front most tip of the vehicle, but that would be like saying that the face is not the front of a girl because her **** stick out further than her face.
good point, tell a cop that one
Old 01-18-2006 | 11:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Brandon
i got pulled over for it the other day... guess its still a law.
true
Old 01-18-2006 | 11:52 PM
On The Tree

What about all these cars like Lexus', Porche, or any others that aren't even made with an area to put a license plate? Or is it just the fact that; these people can afford those cars, so they can afford the tickets? Ha ha
Old 01-19-2006 | 04:57 PM
Teching In

Well my .02, My plt. sgt who is a Dallas Police Officer, told me that it has to be visible from the front at all times, he said "technically" the windshield is okay. But if the cop says they cant see it, then they cant see it. I put mine up on suction cups on the windshield every now and then. I mean if im going anywhere from 65 (god forbid) and 120 down the highway, a front plate is pretty much useless.
Old 01-19-2006 | 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ultimately the police can ticket you if they want. No point in arguing with them.

The Judge ultimately determines if the plate is "displayed at the front of the vehicle"
Old 01-19-2006 | 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont think its a law on trucks and SUVs.. They can still pull you over, but cant fine you for it.
Old 01-19-2006 | 10:41 PM
On The Tree

My Govt. Professor is a cop as well as a teacher, and I asked his this same question. His answer was that the law is still very much in effect, but it's all at the police officer's discretion. If they feel like being an ******* and pulling you over for it...they can. Most usually don't, but they can pull you over for many little things like that. Tint is another discretionary law. He told me that he liked to pick on people that drive and talk on their cell phones...it's not illegal to talk and drive yet, but he said that he looks for a small mistake or expired tags and pulls them over. Simply because he doesn't like the fact that they are talking and driving. Isn't that some bull ****?

-Patriot
Old 01-20-2006 | 10:11 AM
TECH Junkie
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Slammed-am
It is true. The law states that the plate must be at the frontmost position on your car.
Damn that's a good looking Trans Am!!!
Those wheels are F#$% Sweet!
Old 01-20-2006 | 10:16 AM
TECH Junkie
20 Year Member

The correct term is "Probable cause"...
No front plate is the "Foot in the door" so to speak...

"If" you drive w/o a plate, & you are doing someting else, have something you should'nt.. Well, you get the picture...

Me personally, i'll soon be driving w/o my front plate as i am having my car painted and the front bumper filled & fitted with the "mesh" inside the vents..

I am over 40... Most of my friends are troopers,DTF agents, & i carry a CHL..

Believe me, it helps..

Originally Posted by PatriotT/A
My Govt. Professor is a cop as well as a teacher, and I asked his this same question. His answer was that the law is still very much in effect, but it's all at the police officer's discretion. If they feel like being an ******* and pulling you over for it...they can. Most usually don't, but they can pull you over for many little things like that. Tint is another discretionary law. He told me that he liked to pick on people that drive and talk on their cell phones...it's not illegal to talk and drive yet, but he said that he looks for a small mistake or expired tags and pulls them over. Simply because he doesn't like the fact that they are talking and driving. Isn't that some bull ****?

-Patriot
Old 01-20-2006 | 10:56 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by PatriotT/A

-Patriot
I dont like people talking on their cell phones either. You can usually tell when people do dumb stuff driving, then you see they are on a phone, and it pisses you off.