TX license plate law??

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS69TA
If you weren't breaking the law, you'd have nothing to worry about. They feel like pulling you over for it because they're usually looking for other things. It just gives them P/C to stop you and see if they can get lucky. If you don't want to get stopped, then put a front LP on your car, don't speed, wear you seatbelt, have legal window tint, obey traffic laws and make sure all of your lights are working. Then you won't have anything to complain about
Very true, I'm trying to stay away from the man
Besides I think we as Texas Citizens need to be more active with the law and change the law, instead of complaining. No offense to the original poster or anyone else, hell knows this is a ridiculous law. I'd just like to see us change it.

Last edited by camelmix; 03-14-2006 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

well in your front windshield it can be defined as a deadly weapon. I was told by an officer that if your vehicle has provisions for a front plate, then you need one, but if there are no mounting holes...then no plate required. I asked about what about affection plates like he loves she...you know the kind you buy at six flags.. well he said the front position is for that, the back is the only ones they look at. In 8 yrs...no problem with the Z28, and in 2 years no prob with the Cobra.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Most cops care less about inspection stickers as well it seems. Ive gotten two speeding tickets over the course of my over 2 year expired inspection sticker. Neither acted like they saw the 2004 inspection sticker. But they checked the registration.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alfm
The freakin law doesn't specifically state where in the front. Like I said before it says mounting and placement not defined. It seems like all their saying for it to display in both the front and rear. I ain't paying for no freaking ticket. I got a clear record and I'm also an insurance agent. Screw that I'll just get extensions if the judge don't dismiss it and maybe they'll eventually clear it.

windshield is pretty centrally located on the car body IMO, not the front. i would think all that the "front" could get get you is that it could mounted off to one side if you wanted still on the front bumper. all the cops i've dealt with have told me "most forward part" so that's what they're citing for. unless you can convince the judge otherwise then it's too bad i guess.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:39 AM
Teching In

yah i got pulled over for the third or fourth time cuz of this yesterday by a state trooper, he was cool about it though, i usually use the line of " i cant figure out how to take that cover off" and they tend to let me go with a written warning, i have mine suctioned onto the windshield and he told me thats worse to have it on there in case of a hard brake it might take my head off
Old 03-15-2006, 03:56 AM
On The Tree

As long as the plate is displayed facing the front of the vehicle, you are ok. If the law does not state it specifically, then the officer cannot make it up. No where does it say the front most part of the car. It only says displayed up front, and visible. If the officer has bad eye sight, and can't see it, thats his fault. I agree that we use it for p/c, but I wouldn't cite someone for having it on the dash. I don't even have mine displayed. Alot of officers don't know any better because lack of training, and they think its illegal because someone once told them it was. I asked the opinions of the officers I work with, and they all said "as long as its displayed somewhere up front its cool."
Old 03-15-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only true reason they want it up on the bumper is for laser speed detection and photocop systems. although i've never been written up for it in 7 years, if not having it saves me from one single speeding ticket, it's worth it to take the risk.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

TEXAS
ARTICLE 9. REDUCTION IN NUMBER OF LICENSE PLATES ISSUED
SECTION 9.01. Subchapter A, Chapter 502, Transportation
Code, is amended by adding Section 502.010 to read as follows:
Sec. 502.010. ISSUANCE AND DISPLAY OF LICENSE PLATE. (a)
Notwithstanding anything in this code to the contrary, including
Section 502.180, the department shall issue only one license plate
for attachment at the rear of the vehicle for which the plate is
issued.
(b) Notwithstanding anything in this code to the contrary,
including Section 502.404(a), a person is entitled to operate on a
public highway a vehicle that displays only one license plate if the
plate is attached at the rear of the vehicle. A person may operate
on a public highway a vehicle that displays two license plates if
both plates were assigned by the department for the registration
period as a set of plates.
(c) In any provision of this code that relates to the
issuance or display of "license plates," "plates," or a "set of
plates," the term means only one license plate.
SECTION 9.02. The change in law made by this article
regarding the issuance of license plates by the Texas Department of
Transportation applies only to the issuance of license plates by
the department for a registration period beginning on or after the
effective date of this article. For a registration period that
begins before the effective date of this article, the department
shall issue license plates as required by the law in effect
immediately before the effective date of this article, and the
former law is continued in effect for that purpose.
SECTION 9.03. This article takes effect September 1, 2005.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Veteran

That was an amendment to the law that wasn't passed. Texas is still a 2-tag state.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

The cops around me could care less, I only have the back one on both camaros.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:51 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

If you weren't breaking the law, you'd have nothing to worry about. They feel like pulling you over for it because they're usually looking for other things. It just gives them P/C to stop you and see if they can get lucky. If you don't want to get stopped, then put a front LP on your car, don't speed, wear you seatbelt, have legal window tint, obey traffic laws and make sure all of your lights are working. Then you won't have anything to complain about
Agreed Dude needs to quit bitching. My truck has limo on the front, no cats, loud *** exhaust and in no way shape or form would ever pass emissions with the current cam but thats the chance you take when you modif a vehicle
Old 03-15-2006, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

That was an amendment to the law that wasn't passed. Texas is still a 2-tag state.
always wondered what happened with the bill, sucks it didn't pass.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe when I become a state representative someday. I will introduce a bill to do away with this. I think it makes F bods and other sports cars look like crap. I've gotten 2 warnings in 5 years. Both were on the same trip. So I showed them the previous warning and they let me go. Just tell them your car is a special edition and only came with one plate. If they dont buy that then fork over the small fine. (hey it worked for me)Typically towns withsmall law enforcement numbers look for anything. Trying to see if your drunk etc etc.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

I've been pulled over 4X over the years for no front plate and have never gotten anything more than a warning.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Never been stopped in the last year since I've had this car for no front LP. Only for the window tint and speeding
Old 03-16-2006, 02:50 PM
Launching!

I find that its usually the state police (troopers) that harrass you about the plate law!!
Old 03-16-2006, 03:16 PM
Launching!

when we bought our bmw, the salesman said that a law was passed that no longer required the front license plate. I had already asked him not to drill the holes in the bumper and he said that they never do unless asked b/c of this.

hmmmmm

Oh well, I hate front license plates