Ennis Texas Motorplex

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 06:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ennis Texas Motorplex

Hey guys,

I'm planning on going out to Ennis tonight and I have a question.
I don't have a driveshaft loop... I think that will be a problem, am I right?

Will they even let me run once since I've never been to the track? I have no idea what the car will run. Likely low 12's... but anyway.... do they even check that? I've seen stock vehicles running faster than 13.99 that I'm sure don't have a driveshaft loop!

Like I said, I've never been to a track before (not to run anyway), so I don't know how everything works, I'm kinda confused.

My cars tags are out a couple days too, I haven't got my new registration, and my inspection has been out for like a year, I DO have current insurance though, will that be a problem?
Old 04-07-2006, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

they don't check for a driveshaft loop. i went last year and they didn't check. unless the rules have changed. However, you do have to wear a helmet if you run 13.99 or faster. They will let you know when you pick up your timeslip. I also don't think that your registration and inspection matters. They never asked me about my insurance either. All in all, i think you should be ok. Good luck. BTW, post up your times tomorrow. i wanna see.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:04 AM
Launching!

Likely alot slower than I'm hoping for! My First time out... haven't really practiced launching, and I don't feel good dumping it with fairly new 4.10's in my 10 bolt.
We'll see

Thanks for your help

I shouldn't burnout on street tires right?
Old 04-07-2006, 08:05 AM
Launching!

Oh yeah, and do you know if a DOT approved Motocross helmet is alright? I have regular motorcycle helmets too... I don't know what all the damn SNELL certs are.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:35 AM
Launching!

bUMP.. Burnout on street tires?
Old 04-07-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FunkyTownFBody
bUMP.. Burnout on street tires?
Couldn't hurt...lol

As for the helmet...do a search and look for the NHRA tech rules. I've never had anyone look at the sticker in my helmet but...ya never know. I honestly don't think that unless your running 7's, anyone is gonna be too picky.

Have fun, post up your times so we can all see.

P.S. Good choice on going to the track rather than screwing around on the street

Kev
Old 04-07-2006, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They are not going to check your helmet for rule compliance
Old 04-07-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do a hellacious burnout on those street tires.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:09 PM
9 Sec. Club!!!

Originally Posted by FunkyTownFBody
Oh yeah, and do you know if a DOT approved Motocross helmet is alright? I have regular motorcycle helmets too... I don't know what all the damn SNELL certs are.
I use a motorcross Helmet and I don't think it is approved for dragracing and they haven't ever said anything to me..
Old 04-08-2006, 12:43 AM
Launching!

I took the helmet but ended up not needing it, they only ran the 1/8th mile tonight because it was ridiculously windy, and not the the best angle either! That sorta sucks since I specifically went there instead of kennedale because I don't like 1/8th mile. Oh well.

I originally wasn't even going to run because I think my posi is going out from the noise I'm getting and I don't want to break it, I got there and decided what the hell, and did 4 runs.

I wasn't nervous at all, which is great. I had a horrible fear that when I got up to the light I'd be nervous and get shaky and **** up. I was totally natural when I got to the staging, I had a blast.

I wasn't going totally all out because I was still worried about the rear, but I gave it a pretty good run.
I ran a best of 9.27@83.11 with a shitty 2.48 60'.

I got consistently quicker each run, but my 60's were all 2.4x+ Then again, I was running on 315 sumitomos which aren't exactly known for their traction! Stock ride height.

1st 9.82 @ 76.76 (against a GN, I won)
2nd 9.55 @ 80.08 (against a Mach 1, I won)
3rd 9.311 @ 82.31 (against a Lexus, I won) Lexus ran 10.4
4th 9.272 @ 83.11 (against same Lexus, I won) Lexus ran 9.356 (Small burnout in the box before this run)

First two runs I got decent traction until 2nd gear. As SOON as I hit 2nd I'd roast the tires. First run I shifted straight to third with the wheels spinning, 2nd run I let off a bit to let it hook and hit it a lil more before shifting.
The last two runs I shifted and rolled into a little slower so I wouldn't break em loose again.

I was "launching" by letting the clutch out just to just before it started to creep and then brought it up to about 1200 rpms. 3rd run I roasted em on the launch, had good traction on all the others.
]
\
How are these times for my first time out? I know the vettes were all running low 8's, I figure I should be able to at least hit a 9 flat or dip into the high 8's with better 60's.

Any tips for better 60' times? I know if I could have hit lower 60's I would have been in the 8's no problem. What type of suspension setup should I look to get for better 60's? I know I can probably shave 4-5 tenths off just with practice, but of course I want to get the best possible results.

Can't wait for the 12 bolt so I can run some DR's or slicks.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 04-08-2006, 12:48 AM
Launching!

OH and my best buddy rented a Lincoln Towncar JUST to take it otu to the track! HAHA! He owned a couple hondas and nissans.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:05 AM
10 Second Club

FunkyTownFBody which car were u in????
were u in the white one with orange hood stripes?

BTW, not all the vette's were in the 8's.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:18 AM
10 Second Club

arnold what are u still doing up..hahahaha

btw, your car is sweet. pulls hard. guess im lucky i like the way the back end of it looks..hahahaha (my tranny wasnt locking up again on the hwy pulls...UGH!)

oh yeah..what head lights are u using. my headlights seem like candles compared to yours.

Last edited by usd2sing; 04-19-2006 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:31 AM
10 Second Club

i hear ya...pacing the house went i got home...frustrated..UGH!

giggle juice is the way to go...im seriously thinking about selling my kit and building a juice motor. i have my own refill station so costs for refill's is minimal. works out to be $1.50 lb.

have a great weekend.
peace

Last edited by usd2sing; 04-19-2006 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, what car were you in FunkyTown?

I was in the blue Z28 on 10-spoke SS wheels, dumped duals. I couldn't manage anything faster than a 8.34@88.20 on a 2.07 60'. It kind of pissed me off that I drove out there only to run an 1/8th, but I could understand. There were a few people I knew out there anyway, so it wasn't all too bad.

Then I had a blow out on my way home, luckily it was fairly close to my house and I had a friend in his GTP following me back from Ennis. Came home and got my spare and limped it back home, sucks I have to buy a new tire... but anyway, I went off topic here.

I ran against your friend in the Lincoln, I think that was one of the runs I spun really bad off the line and just said "**** it" and let it coast. I had a few bad launches tonight, prep was decent for the weather.. I guess.

I talked to that guy in the Lexus SC300. He said it was putting down 630rwhp. Must be all top-end.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:13 AM
Launching!

Yeah man that lexus was pretty damn fast.
After the first run I thought he was pretty slow because he ran like a 10.4, totally suprised me on the next run, I looked bad and didn't see him, then realized he was at my door! I barely edged him out, he woulda raped me in 1/4 mile! The best I saw him run was 9.1 but I only saw 3 runs total including the two we raced.

I was in the black formula with chrome zr1 17x11's (Not much else to recognize me with?). I always seemed to end up right in FRONT of that white ss with the orange stripes.

I saw at least a few vettes in the 7's but I didn't see that many runs considering I ran 3 times and never went in the bleachers. Too damn windy! I left at about 11.

My times really suck, I'm embarassed! There are guys with lid only going faster than my cammed car, which pretty much means I must suck at driving haha.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, since you were on street tires (I think you said that somewhere up there,) then your issue was more than likely not being able to hook up. I only make 336/340 to the wheels and I'm an auto, so with the right launch, I don't spin much unless the track prep is non-exsistant.

Also, check the Drag Racing Tech forums on tips how to launch your car. Couldn't hurt and it'll give you ideas on how to get the feel for launching. I suck at launching, my best 60' is a 2.002 on street tires. I want to get some ET Streets or slicks or something... just hope my rearend holds up.

I believe I seen your car my first time lining up. I got there at 10:30 and left at midnight. I only got to line up against one decent car, a red '95-ish Mustang that was in the "SPRO" class, whatever that is. I ran an 8.3x@88.xx to his 8.0x@95.xx (don't have the slip in front of me.) He spun off the line and got me up top. I think it was hard for most people to get traction since the track was cold.

I plan on going back on the 14th if the weather cooperates.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:23 AM
10 Second Club

i got owned by an older style mustang myself....he ran a 6.88 to my 7.2x, it was fun to watch him though. good running car.

Last edited by usd2sing; 04-19-2006 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:07 AM
Launching!

Yeah I was definitely having traction problems. Like I said when I hit 2nd full on they'd spin and I'd be at 6grand instantly! With the bad traction I wonder if I would have run a better time on 3.42s

It was fun but I don't think I'll go again till I replace the rear. Plus then I can throw some DR's on it or something.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:18 PM
Launching!

Hey it seems I brought home a parting gift when I did my last run Friday!
I think I toasted my clutch! YAY!

Quick Reply: Ennis Texas Motorplex