Piping Design rates are going through the roof in Houston!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by badride42
I have been getting offers for piping interviews in the last month or two. I have over 20 years in piping from new construction to Maintenance. I am currently Designing HPU's, Tuta's, Flushing units ..Etc for offshore platforms. I have always wanted to design pipe since my background & love is in that field. I have a bad knee that keeps me from going to the interviews since I'm not sure of the amount of field work required. I guess my question is can I do the job with a bad knee? With my experiance in piping what level should I shoot for Jr designer? I know there will be a learning curve. Thanks for the feedback.
I've never actually done piping (I'm mechanical/structural), but from what I know they'd rather have you at your desk all day just drawing pictures of pipe. In normal times basically you just have to know pipe and their software package. When things ramp up (like now) they'll take pretty much anyone that has a clue - meaning that if you know EITHER piping OR a specific cad package, they'll get you in and train you on what you don't know.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:00 PM

Yes, you should not have any problem now days as Rebis (Autoplant 3D) and Cadworx 3D with Autocad as the landbase is what most are using. I have used both but I perfer Rebis since it is more intelligent/database piping software...
Old 04-09-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh man WTF.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wish the oil tools industry would pass on a little more money our way. Not that I can complain too much with what we have going on right now, but they are putting a lot of money into new facilities and not so much into employee salaries. It would be nice if my pay would double, but maybe something will come out of my yearly review meeting I had last week.

Not to bring down this whole thread, but I've been curious how everything will be in 5 years or so when the layoffs start coming. We are hiring like crazy and once things level off and return to normal all these people, and possibly myself, will have to find somewhere to go.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Wow!! Anyone know the market for Instrument Designers?????
Old 04-10-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Milez28
Wow!! Anyone know the market for Instrument Designers?????
It's cyclic too, but with all of the plants in the area needing to be updated, it tends to stay a tad bit more stable. I just upgraded from a Fieldbus Tech position to a Control Systems Designer I (though I haven't started yet, I'll be doing more engineering stuff like point configuration from older DCS systems to Fieldbus systems). If you have any experience in design work, make sure it's with AutoCAD . The pay won't be quite as good starting out, probably in the $20 to $25 per hour range, but with a little over-time and some experience, you'll see some nice gains .

Tom