What are the gun laws in TX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't say 0%. I took the class March 5th of this year, this was a big topic and I promise I am not mistaken. The wording is something to the effect of there is no limit for BAC. Obviously that doesn't mean you can have as much as you want, it means you cannot have any.

I'll see if I can find it.....
Old 06-21-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by aggiez28
that wasnt what i heard, but then this was a few years ago and i wasnt going to drink at all while i carry.

can yall show me where it says 0% ? what part of the book?
got the book right here... page 34.

PC 46.035 UNLAWFUL ARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER
(d) a license holder commits an offense if, while intoxicated, the license holder carries a handgun...

page 2 - GC 411.171 - DEFINITIONS
(6) 'intoxicated' has the meaning as assigned by section 49.01 penal code

they dont post PC49.01 in the book, but a quick google of TX Penal Code 49.01 returns:
(2) "Intoxicated" means:
(A) not having the normal use of mental or
physical faculties by reason of the introduction of alcohol, a
controlled substance, a drug, a dangerous drug, a combination of
two or more of those substances, or any other substance into the
body; or
(B) having an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or
more.

in the class i took, they said 'understand this to mean 0.00' which i feel is more of a 'for you own good' rather than the letter of the law.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

I agree, I looked it up and found the same thing....
Old 06-21-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you're drinking and carrying, you might as well just mail your license back to the state. its less painful than an off-duty(or even plainclothes) cop seeing you print at a bar knockin down shots or drinkin beer.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

no, i definatley dont think you shold be knocking back shots at a bar while carrying. but i think a beer with dinner is ok.

the 51% thing is one of the few laws i dont agree with. i definatley dont think you should carry while intoxicated, but i dont think it should be illegal just to be IN the bar with a firearm while sober. like what if you are the designated driver and you're in deep ellum or something... i think one of the most likely places you are going to get mugged is on your way to your car after coming out of a bar late at night. i mean, yeah you are less likely to be a victim if you are in a group, but still...
Old 06-21-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
no, i definatley dont think you shold be knocking back shots at a bar while carrying. but i think a beer with dinner is ok.

the 51% thing is one of the few laws i dont agree with. i definatley dont think you should carry while intoxicated, but i dont think it should be illegal just to be IN the bar with a firearm while sober. like what if you are the designated driver and you're in deep ellum or something... i think one of the most likely places you are going to get mugged is on your way to your car after coming out of a bar late at night. i mean, yeah you are less likely to be a victim if you are in a group, but still...
Yeah, I asked about restaurant/bars when I took my class. I was instructed that if there is no sign posted, it's up to you to decide whether it's worth the risk or not. The example was given with Chili's, it's a restaurant for the most part - which is fine to carry in - but it also has a bar within that is not acceptable to carry in, despite the fact it may not have a sign. It came down that if you know it's a bar, you better not go into it with a concealed weapon. I don't drink, so I have no real opinion about whether or not it's a good law. It was just explained to me as one of those "One person can handle it so no one gets it" things. You and I may not have a problem, but that doesn't mean some jackass won't ruin it for everyone :rolleye: .

Also when I took the class, we had a Jersey Village police officer explain to us that the law is seen as "0.00 BAC" instead of "0.7999~" is that we know better. We took the class, we assumed the responsibility, and now we can no longer claim ignorance like others. I personally support this part, as I'd much rather have them see it as "no alcohol" instead of "almost drunk" .

Tom
Old 06-21-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

instructed that if there is no sign posted, it's up to you to decide whether it's worth the risk or not. The example was given with Chili's, it's a restaurant for the most part - which is fine to carry in - but it also has a bar within that is not acceptable to carry in, despite the fact it may not have a sign
im pretty sure you are allowed to carry in a bar in a chilis. unless teh bar is its own establishment and meets the 51% rule.
if chilis dosnt meet the 51% law then you can carry anywhere inside the resteraunt.

that line of thinking is somewhat like this
lets say one lane in a grocery store sells 51% beer. well i cant carry in that lane.....
dosnt make sence right.

the fact that chilis has a bar dosnt mean you cant carry in the bar.

the law dosnt say you cannot carry in a bar. it says you cant carry in any place that sells 51%+ booze

if i have a bar but we sell moer food than booze then i can carry in it. technicly its a bar.... just not a very good one lol

brook
Old 06-21-2006, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

Actually it says you cant carry when the establishment gets 51% or more revenue from the sell of alcohol for ON SITE consumption meaning liquor stores are ok to carry in, unless they have the sign with penal code 36.06 on it.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by aggiez28
im pretty sure you are allowed to carry in a bar in a chilis. unless teh bar is its own establishment and meets the 51% rule.
if chilis dosnt meet the 51% law then you can carry anywhere inside the resteraunt.

that line of thinking is somewhat like this
lets say one lane in a grocery store sells 51% beer. well i cant carry in that lane.....
dosnt make sence right.

the fact that chilis has a bar dosnt mean you cant carry in the bar.

the law dosnt say you cannot carry in a bar. it says you cant carry in any place that sells 51%+ booze

if i have a bar but we sell moer food than booze then i can carry in it. technicly its a bar.... just not a very good one lol

brook
Perhaps so, I'm just repeating what I was told by someone more qualified than myself . Either way, it's not up to any of us to decide. That particular judgement (as well as any other part of the laws that are unclear ) is left up to the discretion of the police and district attorney. I'm not going to risk it, but that's just me .

Tom
Old 06-22-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Actually it says you cant carry when the establishment gets 51% or more revenue from the sell of alcohol for ON SITE consumption meaning liquor stores are ok to carry in, unless they have the sign with penal code 36.06 on it.
your right, i totally forgot abotu that point lol. i worked ina liquor store too lol

just apply the same senario to an onsite place and it will convey the point

Last edited by aggiez28; 06-22-2006 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

I just got my license in the mail yesterday, havent carried anywhere yet though. I'm planning on buying a bersa .380 this week, my glock 23 is a little big to conceal, comfortably that is.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just keep my fully loaded 9 mil on the passenger seat.