Old 05-14-2006 | 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TchargedLS1TA
Hope you know how to speak spanish...
Old 05-14-2006 | 03:47 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Well,another Laredoan here....

So far alot of what has been stated is pretty right on the mark...

My bad points and good...

Bad:
Nobody has insurance here (protect your car!!)

Crime sux here...People seem to worship "Scar Face" and rap videos.

YOU HAVE TO KNOW SPANISH...IT IS the dominant language here and most people here WILL speak to you in spanish first and even at stores,events and eating establishments,its optional for the workers to know english or not...EVEN in the hospitals.

The language barrier also carries over into schools here.Not just with the students,but with the teaching staff of almost every school that I have been to or,sent my son to.(might want to think about that if you have kids).

No offense to anyone but,if you look "white" (Blonde hair,blue eyes...etc..) you WILL stick out like a sore thumb...

There is basically only two musical choices here,70% Tejano music and 30% spanish rap...If you like rock,blues,jazz,classical......etc...you are considered a wierdo!

Roads suck,unless you live on the north side...then they are not soo bad.

It truly is easy to forget that you are actually in the US.

Cruise night here is on Sunday and its turning into more of a represent your "Gang" night rather than show your ride off night.With the police there it feels like they are trying to keep the inmates in line in a prison...

The track is a much better place to go to now than the cruise strip...Has its problems but,nothing's perfect...which leads me to my list of good things...

The Good:

As stated,the women are awesome!!!!!!When you see a babe,you REALLY start to wonder if they put something in the water...(Which they do,so don't drink it... ).Nothing like a Latin Woman's curves...

The F-Body guys around here are pretty cool and the F-Body presence is surprisingly strong for a city of our size.

We have a performance shop.

We have a track just out of the city limits..

The food around here is AWESOME...People will beat your A$$ down if you mention Taco Bell... (I still go to Taco Bell every now and then...shhh don't tell anyone!! )

Laredo is growing like CRAZY..

We have a pretty kick butt hockey team the CHL champions,Laredo Bucks..

Now that we have had our Entertainment Center for a couple of years now,we are starting to really attract some major acts (At least major for Laredo)...Tool,Elton John (I know,but he still is famous... ),Aerosmith,Disney on Ice (I know again but,if you have kids..its actually pretty cool...),Motley Crue....Just to name a few.

As mentioned,if your exhaust isn't quite up to par with the "Tree Huggers" of the world...Its not really a problem...(an actual fortunate side effect of nobody knowing how to do their job right here... )

I use to tell people that once they shut down the bars over here at about 2am that it doesn't mean the party has to stop.Because you could always hop on over to Mexico and party till the sun comes up...

Now with all the violence going on over there like,daytime shootings,kidnappings,drug wars...etc..I just make sure to stock up on the brews and steer clear of crossing the border.

Talk to almost any local and they will tell you how they avoid going over there unless its an emergency,they live over there,they have family over there or its past midnight and your out of beer!!!! (REALLY!!).Oh yeah,I would mention "Boy's Town" but...that could be a whole other thread!!

Property compared to many other places is very affordable...

Apartments as well.A brand new complex just finished construction across the street from us and they are renting in the $650ish range.

Did I mention the women?????

Cruising down Mcpherson road on Thurday night terrorizing the ricers is priceless...Any of the local F-Body peeps know what I am talking about when you rev it up as your going by Sonic,EZ Pawn and AutoZone...Their tail pipes suffer some MAJOR "shrinkage" at the sound of a snarling V8
Old 05-14-2006 | 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

u forgot to say way, way.
Old 05-14-2006 | 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

The furthest south I would go is Kingsville or Corpus Christi. I was born and raised in Corpus and it still gets pretty bad with gangs. Loredo has gotten pretty ruff, but McCallen/Mission isn't to bad. Might consider Port Isabel. Took a few north vs south trips to edinburge then partied in Port isabel, seemed pretty nice, but austin is the **** hands down.
Old 05-14-2006 | 11:48 AM
On The Tree

You mean Guey, guey!!
Old 05-14-2006 | 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

lol spelling it out the way it sounds for the white folks here lol
Old 05-14-2006 | 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Old 05-14-2006 | 01:36 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Orale' Guey....
Old 05-14-2006 | 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

simon homes

oh yeah that's another one your going to have to remember
Old 05-14-2006 | 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mcallen if anything. There's quite a bit to do and the good thnig is there are performance shops there. The track's not THAT far away. I've also heard Mcallen has some pretty fast cars over there. Not sure.
Old 05-14-2006 | 04:07 PM
11 Second Club

check out southtexasf-bodies.com
Old 05-14-2006 | 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks everyone.

dunno if ill be moving but just tryin to get a feel for it

the job im takin will be teachin me spanish, so thats not a problem. maybe ill just move to somewhere a lil farther north and commute down to work. thanks
Old 05-15-2006 | 12:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by onebadLT-1
check out southtexasf-bodies.com
There's no dash its just www.southtexasfbodies.com