High water car problems!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default High water car problems!

Where is the thermostat located on our cars, and how do I find out if it is sticking.

Ran into some high water on the way to work this morning (houston) and the car sputtered for a minute and died.

I have since let it sit for about five hours and I cranked it up and it starts and runs.

It chugs when I give it some gas and the temp is heating up pretty quick it got up to about 230* and I shut it down.

The color of the smoke that is coming out of the exhaust is white.

Another thing is when I opened up the coolant res. the check the fluid level the coolant was cool to the touch,

I think this is all the info I have to go on any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you blew a head gasket. You should not have started the car the reason it died was because there was water in the cylinders. You are lucky u did not throw a rod DO NOT TURN IT ON AGAIN!!! Dont try to compress water cause u cant.

Thomas
Old 06-19-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont know how many times we said this. DO NOT START THE VEHICLE AFTER IT DIES OUT IN HIGH WATER. YOU MUST PULL THE PLUGS AND DRAIN THE WATER.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

HYDRALOCK could have happened if you kept trying it, damn dude I feel for you. You guys in Houston got a **** bucket load of rain this morning.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MrBill97396
HYDRALOCK could have happened if you kept trying it, damn dude I feel for you. You guys in Houston got a **** bucket load of rain this morning.
yea the drive this morning sucked. had to reroute my air intake before i left. cause i knew most of the roads would be flooded. drove thru one street that had a lil over 3 feet of water on it. made it thru fine. but the toyota behind me thought he could do it cause i did it. his car got owned!
Old 06-19-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Damn man, I see that you guys are expecting more rain until wed or thurs. atleast it is like 83 there, it is 96 and MFing hott *** here
Old 06-19-2006, 04:51 PM
Launching!

Thanks for all the help, i'll be putting my car on a trailor tomorrow and taking it to the shop.

What sucks is I waited for 2 hours this morning at one intersection for the water to reside and when it did I made it through just fine.

But when I was turning into another intersection I couldn't even see the water until I was in it (f**king dip in the road, big f**king dip). Then it sputtered for a few seconds and died. I should have just slept in the morning.

Thanks again.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

sorry about the car man.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:33 PM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry to hear that man. I just went through the same **** today. When my girl went to drop me off at my place on her way to work this morning we couldn`t even get into my complex. Came back a few hours later and I had a dirt line on my car where the water was over half way up my wheels. I figured the water wasn`t as high as the dirt line was, but it was that high from waves that came from other cars driving through the water. Pulled the seats and the carpet as well as the drain plugs in the floor board. Had it towed on a flat bed and when the flat bed picked the car up water drained out the duals. Had it towed to the parents house and checked the oil for water. The water didn`t get high enough in the exhaust to enter a open valve so I cranked it up for about 5 seconds and rechecked the oil for water and then let it run for 10 minutes. Tommrow I`m checking my tranny and rear for water and I`m not sure if the wheel bearings are sealed or not but I`m going to find out tommrow. This sucks man. Now I have a excuse to but my light weight carpet.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by al
Sorry to hear that man. I just went through the same **** today. When my girl went to drop me off at my place on her way to work this morning we couldn`t even get into my complex. Came back a few hours later and I had a dirt line on my car where the water was over half way up my wheels. I figured the water wasn`t as high as the dirt line was, but it was that high from waves that came from other cars driving through the water. Pulled the seats and the carpet as well as the drain plugs in the floor board. Had it towed on a flat bed and when the flat bed picked the car up water drained out the duals. Had it towed to the parents house and checked the oil for water. The water didn`t get high enough in the exhaust to enter a open valve so I cranked it up for about 5 seconds and rechecked the oil for water and then let it run for 10 minutes. Tommrow I`m checking my tranny and rear for water and I`m not sure if the wheel bearings are sealed or not but I`m going to find out tommrow. This sucks man. Now I have a excuse to but my light weight carpet.
just make sure your seat electronics arent wet. if so clean em with qd cleaner and some wd 40 to keep corrosion away
Old 06-19-2006, 06:57 PM
Launching!

Sorry to here that guys.I was in College Station this morning, when my folks called and said what was going on.(street were flooded) So I waited tell I got the ok to come back.Theres F**king leaves,sticks,an trash all over the streets!!!
Old 06-19-2006, 06:58 PM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
just make sure your seat electronics arent wet. if so clean em with qd cleaner and some wd 40 to keep corrosion away
Thanks for the tip Joe. I don`t have electric seats though. They weigh to much.LOL
Old 06-19-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Veteran

remove the spark plugs get a wrench and see if you can hand crank ur engine with the crank bolt and allow the water to come out of the plug holes. Water sucks. If i had an ample amount of money i would put a snorkel on a car and put a 150 shot of NOS and floor in 3 feet high water to see what happens...ha...back to reality.