Credit card with reward programs, need to switch.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006 | 04:07 PM
9 Second Club NA

Default Credit card with reward programs, need to switch.

I've had my credit card for the past 4 years now and EVERY single month, I paid my bill on time and IN FULL. I figured that was good for something on my credit, but how about something more. What I'm referring to is rewards. What are some good credit cards out there that offer good rewards to those who pay on time, the minimum or full amount, and have had no issues whatsoever? I'm happy with my credit card company, I've had no problems whatsoever, I just need something in return for the 4 years I've had it without ever going over, a late payment, and I've paid the full amount since I've had the card.
Old 07-27-2006 | 04:10 PM
On The Tree

there are so many out there, its hard to say. Do you want visa, mastercard, american express, discover.... and with all of those there are tons of choices. i.e miles, cash back, traveling......and on and on and on
Old 07-27-2006 | 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would suggest something that gives airline miles or hotel points. Always comes in handy when traveling. The cash back cards % return is so miniscule its not worth it
Old 07-27-2006 | 04:57 PM
11 Second Club

I'm very happy with the following cards. Master Card "The World Card" its a no limit card lots of perks you can call them and they will set up flights etc. Discover Platnum(sp) Card 5% off of every gas purchase no matter where you buy gas, but has $300,000.00 limit only. Visa I just use their check card through my bank, and that is what I prefer to use. Oh, I also have a Visa Capitol One card nothing to special and it also has a $300,000.00 limit. Hope that helps

Thomas
Old 07-27-2006 | 07:56 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

I've been using a Discover card that gives me 5% cash back on groceries and gas and 1% on anything else. Seemed worth the trouble, but now they are lowering the yearly limit on rewards to something ridiculous so it's time for something else. If you have a good FICO score you can sign up for one card and some good exclusive offers should show up in the mail shortly after.
Old 07-28-2006 | 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

i work at JPMorgan Chase and we have a Visa card that gives you 5% on gas, groceries AND drug store purchases and 1% everywhere else. You can redeem your rewards for cash back or gift certificates to almost anywhere. No annual fee and 0% for 12 months on purchases and balance transfers for those that qualify. Its one of the better reward cards that I have seen. It's called the Visa Cash Plus card. Give me a call if you want me to apply for one for you. Randy Hall (972) 459-1983.
Old 07-28-2006 | 02:31 PM
9 Second Club NA

The card I have now is a Visa through First National bank of Omaha. There are no annual fees, free online banking, not sure of the percentange rate as I never finance any of my bill, not sure what the rate is either on balance transfers as I've never done that either. I only have one card.

I really don't have a preference as far as what type of card it is, but one that is accepted at most places. I would assume the order of most accepted would be Visa first, then Mastercard, then Discover, and then American Express out of those cards, but that's just my guess.

So those that get cash back on grocieries, gas, etc. how do they issue the cash? (check, credit on your card, etc.) Then as far as percentage, if its 5%, does that mean 5% of your total bill for the month?

The percentage rate isn't really a big concern of mine, I mean it is, but then it isn't. I say this because I always pay my bill in full, but if I ever needed to finance a bill, I would like to have a low rate.

I know my father has a GM card and he had almost $2000 built up on it towards a GM vehicle and we used it on my truck I just recently purchased in December (the one in my sig.). Not sure how long it took him to save those points, but it sure was helpful.
Old 07-28-2006 | 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Interesting post. First off, nothing, absolutely nothing in life, is free. With that in mind, you are what is considered a "dead beat" user. You pay your bills on time, every month, and credit card companies don't like that. Why? Because they aren't making money off of you. Does that make sense?

Now, as far as the "rewards," there is always some way to get you thinking yours seeing more than you actually are.

I have a Chase card that offered a travel rewards plan. I had about 17,000 points (1pt per dollar spent/charged). I turned in those points last year when I went to Las Vegas? What did I receive? $75 off my airline ticket .

Fast forward 6months later I look on my statement and notice a travel rewards fee of $30. I call up to inquire about this and they tell me only the first year is free. After the first year in the "travel rewards club" you have to pay an annual few. Some rewards, huh?

Moral of the story? When you go start looking for freebies, they usually end up costing you money or frustration, or both.

Ryan
Old 07-28-2006 | 02:54 PM
BP
TECH Enthusiast

GM card of the ones that give frequent flier miles seem pretty useful.
Old 07-28-2006 | 03:01 PM
BP
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1LSWON
I'm very happy with the following cards. Master Card "The World Card" its a no limit card lots of perks you can call them and they will set up flights etc. Discover Platnum(sp) Card 5% off of every gas purchase no matter where you buy gas, but has $300,000.00 limit only. Visa I just use their check card through my bank, and that is what I prefer to use. Oh, I also have a Visa Capitol One card nothing to special and it also has a $300,000.00 limit. Hope that helps

Thomas
My Centurion card gets me free companion airfare on international travel and free personal shoppers at Saks, Escada and the Gucci stores. The new cards are actually titanium, you should get one.
Old 07-28-2006 | 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have a GM card that gives money off a new GM vehicle, that works out quite well.
I forget how much you get per dollar spent though.
Old 07-28-2006 | 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

my bank of america gives rewards on clothing stores, grocery stores, and other crap, but i never worry about that ****
Old 07-29-2006 | 03:42 PM
9 Second Club NA

Brandon Boomhauer, that's what I was referring to above. Almost $2000 off my truck with the points built up on my father's GM card. Not sure how long it took to save them up.
Old 07-29-2006 | 03:48 PM
9 Second Club NA

So are all these rewards just one big hype and I should just forget about it?
Old 07-31-2006 | 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Brandon Boomhauer
I have a GM card that gives money off a new GM vehicle, that works out quite well.
I forget how much you get per dollar spent though.
i have the GM card (upgraded over time to a mastercard 'world card'). you get 5% of purchases towards the purchase of a new GM vehicle. i was originally going to use it to buy a new F-body... but since the general pulled the plug, i guess i'm saving up for an SUV (maybe a saturn sky if they put a V8 in it! )
Old 07-31-2006 | 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1LSWON

Thomas
Thomas quit talking about your parents cards or like the $300,000 limit will ever hender you.... lol