how much difference between insurance companies?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 04:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default how much difference between insurance companies?

i'm about to insure my car(s), and have got quotes from allstate, progressive, and geico. how much difference does it really matter what company you go with?

i know allstate advertises all kinds of perks, but their quote was astronomical compared to what geico and progressive quoted me.

i attempted to get quotes with equal coverage (wasnt 100% possible cuz of the different ways each companies bundle some things). The total for two cars (01 firehawk 88 GTA), geico was the cheapest, progressive was about 33% higher per year, and allstate was almost SEVEN TIMES HIGHER!! i guess allstate really doesnt like sports cars???

anyways... i know all 3 of those are national carriers, so am i making a bad assumption that if i go with geico, it will be trouble free should i ever need them for something? or does it matter so little that I could even go with a more obscure carrier to save more money?

i like saving money, but at the same time, i dont want to **** myself should something bad ever happen.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on what you expect from an insurance company as well. I've ALWAYS been with State Farm because I can just goto my agent personally and speak with him. He's knows my Mom and Dad and all of their friends. I've had the same agent since I started driving in '93. You don't get that kind of personal relationship with Geico, Progressive, and even All-State sometimes.

My personal preference has always been the brick and mortar insurance companies, not the 1-800 companies that might not really care about a claim on a "personal" level because you aren't in person....just another phone call to a call center somewhere in middle america (Or in India or Mexico). Always about personal contact with me and insurance companies.....anyway....

I cover a 2006 Chrysler Pacific with $500 deductibes for $379/6 months and my 2002 Z28 for $392/6 Months (i've got one accident that will go next year), I could probably get a cheaper quote with Geigo/Progressive but....why? to save a few extra bucks a year and not get the service I expect from an insurance company.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Launching!

Progressive will take care of you!! I insured both my z's with them, and they wont fu#$ you if something happens to your car!!
Old 08-02-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

depending on your age. you might want to give amica a try. i had allstate for a while. and made the switch after seeing the almost 800$ a year savings talk about extra mod money!
Old 08-02-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

correction... i looked it up and my accident was 3 years ago THIS week... so now i have a clean record for 3 years after this week, and progressive becomes cheaper than geico. state farm was about $500 higher per year than progressive.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

man my 6 months are $1,600 or so for my car bah! being 17
Old 08-02-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

allstate wanted to charge me like $2600 for two cars for 6 months!!! thats worse than what i paid when i was 16!
Old 08-03-2006, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Allstate is crap anyway. If you have a claim it's like pulling teeth to get the amount you need to fix the car. My grandfather and uncle have allstate and they have nothing but trouble from them.

I use state farm and I've never had a problem. I don't know if I could save more with another company but I really don't care to if I'm going to get crapy service
Old 08-03-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you'll find prices change ALOT from state to state too....