Headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headlight problem

Dont know what is going on this never happend to me. Go to my friends house drop of one of his movies. Come back out and hit the unlock button on my keyless and the light pop up then go back down. When they go back down they make a sound like a little generator or something for like a 5 seconds then it stops. Dose someone knows what is going on.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whenever I replaced my battery, as I was tightening the cables down, as soon as they touched my alarm would go off and my lights would pop up and down. Sooo I dunno maybe check your battery connections.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the headlight motor's gears are stripped. Do a search on headlight fix. There's plenty of threads. There's an easy fix, too. Basically, the gear in the motor only uses 180 degees of the total 360. You can turn the gear one half turn and now use the "virgin" side of the gear. Of course, this is only temporary, as it will fail eventually. There's a guy that made brass gears for the headlamp motors. I bought and installed on my car. Works perfect.

Brian
Old 08-04-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lt1 97 formula
Whenever I replaced my battery, as I was tightening the cables down, as soon as they touched my alarm would go off and my lights would pop up and down. Sooo I dunno maybe check your battery connections.
Ill try that here in a sec.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Didnt work when i turn the parking lights on they come up. They never used to do that.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's your headlight gear(s), like Bad2000 said.
One is stripped. I'd explain why it messes with the lights,
but it's immaterial to the problem.

Replace the motor or gear that the noise is coming from.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lo_jack
It's your headlight gear(s), like Bad2000 said.
One is stripped. I'd explain why it messes with the lights,
but it's immaterial to the problem.

Replace the motor or gear that the noise is coming from.
huh so that would make the lights go up when the parking lights are turned on? If so Ill do that this weekend. I just thought it would be somekind of short somewhere?
Old 08-04-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nope, no short. It has to do with the fact that the motors stop on impedence they sense when they hit a stop (those little plastic things the armature flips between), not because there is actually something in the motor to make physically stop. The motor has a metal worm gear (that can spin infinitely, by design) and a plastic round cog that attaches to the armature. When the cog is stripped, there is not enough resistance in the circuit to tell the motor to stop turning, so it keeps on going, making that blasted noise.

The motor itself does not "know" where the light is: full up, full down or in between. It only knows if it hits one of those bumpers and encounters a load. That is when it is supposed to stop. So, no load, no stop. Gears stripped = no load.

Because the headlights are on the same circuit (to raise both headlights when you hit the switch, not just one,) when one goes out, they both act funny. Hitting the keyless flashes the lights, and is more or less like turning the light switch on and off. So the motors go crazy.

Because of the design, the first way to fix this, and cheapest, is flip the gear 180 degrees in the housing so you have new teeth at the worm gear. It only uses 180* of the gear, so half of your gear is still good.

search headlight gear or brass gear for the details.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys for the info.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ill check that out about the gears.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MAXIMO
Dont know what is going on this never happend to me. Go to my friends house drop of one of his movies. Come back out and hit the unlock button on my keyless and the light pop up then go back down. When they go back down they make a sound like a little generator or something for like a 5 seconds then it stops. Dose someone knows what is going on.
Another reason why I love my Z28. Hope you get it fixed!!
Old 08-04-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's not that hard to fix, same thing happend to me right after i bought my TA, i bought a brass gear so i wouldn't ever have to change it again. (hopefully) lol. Go here for How To or to buy the brass gear: http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/
Old 08-05-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Regular

good explanation, lo jack!
Old 08-06-2006, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My lights just started acting up a few days ago. Today I did the free fix from Brent Franker's site. After turning the gear 180, the light wouldn't go all the way up. I went back and forth a few times and decided it was better to have one light lower than the other than have the lights popping up and making noise all the time. When I went out later, both lights worked like normal. Hopefully it will last a while.