Emissions Testing In Progress Van

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
thats why there is already an annual inspection. i doubt that the gov't knows that OBD-II cars can cheat by deleting the codes for emissions stuff. i'm fine with annual inspections, but random testing sounds like essentially they are doing year round testing.

i dont think they should restrict what you can drive (beyond what is defined as CDL), but i do think that higher GVW vehicles that are currently exempt should be held to EPA standards. for example, my roomate has a F-250 diesel truck... it has no EPA estimate on it. and while it does have what i belive to be a cat on it, it does not get emissions tested at the annual inspection. and i dont think work trucks should be exempt from emissions... just because you need it to do a job doesnt mean you are allowed to not have your vehicle working correctly.

if GM can make a 500HP corvette that meets EPA emissions requirements and avoids a gas guzzler tax, then tehre is no reason a high HP or torque work truck cant meet the requirements and be emissions compliant.
Good points. I agree - the LS7 is an example an serious engineering. Expensive, but shows what can be done.

Interesting point on work trucks. However, some of these work trucks are a near-essential part of life. I don't know if there is technology that could be implemented so that a dump truck/18 wheeler could pass EPA regulations. Airplane? We are getting into a subject I don't know much about (among many others ). The cost of converting the current infrastructure (trucks, transportation) into a much more efficient/EPA compliant infrastructure is probably not going to happen any time soon. Too $$$, if possibile at all.

Back to your first reply: There needs to be a common ground. I (like you) don't feel that the field is fair right now.

Ryan
Old 10-04-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96-speed
Interesting point on work trucks. However, some of these work trucks are a near-essential part of life. I don't know if there is technology that could be implemented so that a dump truck/18 wheeler could pass EPA regulations.
well an 18 wheeler obviously cant be held to the same standard as a passenger car... but there should be *some* standard.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:55 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Sorry if I'm going to repeat some of what's been said here. No time or patience right now to read all the pages in the this thread.

1. We have them in Austin too.

2. They typically put them on an on-ramp, most of the way up the ramp so it's too late to change your mind, you are already "trapped" on the ramp and must continue.

3. They have, however, put out a small sign "emissions check ahead" or something like that.

4. Hypothetically, if I did have a car with some mods and no cats, I might HYPOTHETICALLY, accelerate before hitting the "kill zone", push in the clutch and turn off the ignition, and just coast past the sensors. I might also hypothetically never have received any notice in the mail after hypothetically doing this a few times.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:51 PM
12 Second Club

The reason that diesel trucks (F250, 2500HD) aren't required to pass emissions is because the burn cleaner than most gas cars even though they puff black smoke every now and then.

Plus the 2007+ will be cleaner than ever.

I have one of each, 2500HD diesel and a no cats ls1... and both have valid and current inspection stickers from any old drive in inspection shop.

The side of the road testing is pretty lame though, I think I will just go a different direction if I see the sign in time.