Old 10-06-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always used Yelvi..
Old 10-06-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 96-speed
V6 Bird: Who's your guy and is anyone running his stuff right now?
Alot of NASCAR and NEXTEL cup folks right now. Frankie Taylors Pro Mods has a motor from these guys.

Every likes to talk big cfm and brag about their guy, but the bottom line is who's going fast (not at the dyno). Just trying to spread the info and not keep things so top secret. It is better for everyone that way. So far you've just slammed Lloyd Elliot and talked about your "guy."
I havent completely slammed LE's work but you said it best. You get what you pay for with him. And from what ive seen for the same amount of money, you can have better mid lift numbers as well as peak and still have a small runner to keep port velocity and swirls high to produce the power to perform better overall at the track and on the dyno. Another good porter for LS1 stuff is Trevor Johnson and Brandon Nix. Both are good for what they charge. Ive seen far too many poor performers from Llyod Elliot to tell someone to go to him. He's hit n miss and a little outdated on the new techniques out. Just as is Yelvi that worked with Hans Fuestl for a while too.

Flow numbers don't tell the complete story, period. Let's clear it up right there.
They dont tell the full picture for sure, but for the most part I agree with whats said here.

Not trying to start a flame war here, but I had a set of LT1 heads done by Lloyd. For everyone's info, they flowed 255cfm, the car made 415rwhp @ 4900rpm, and ran 118mph @ 3600lbs. I think I paid Lloyd about $650 for the work that was done. The point is that numbers don't speak as loud as proven performance. IMO, Lloyd does good work for the money. The best? No. Best value? That's up to the customer to decide.

Ryan
255 cfm is decent but to what extent did he get that? Hogged out runners, etc? Theres many ways to get to a certain cfm, some are more creative in their ways in getting there and keeping a good balance of runner volume vs port flow.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigBronco
Matt?
No, the other Chris.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1970judge
No im sure this dude doesnt know the real story behind it.
Dont be so sure about what I know and dont know.

I know that your name is Marcus, that you are short, geeky and wear glasses..I believe you are also still in HS or just past graduation. What does the end of your custom camshaft say?

Better yet, what fast cars have been produced from said shop? Since you know soooo much about them this week.

Lets stay on topic and be civil in responses. Im keeping it clean. This isnt going to turn into the XH vs CF litigation thread.

Last edited by V6 Bird; 10-06-2006 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

trevor johnson in rowlett
Old 10-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
He lost his good head porter
Matt?
thanks for the compliment!
Old 10-06-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

aww yes, Frank lol.

No problem Matt.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

aww yes, Frank lol.

No problem Matt.
We have weiner! hehe
Old 10-06-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Now also, quiet down in this thread and keep the non sponsored guys off the board.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes i know who you are as well. And my comment wasnt un-civil as i see it, just stating you may or may not know the real story. You really think im a geek

P.s. i wish i would have got to actually use the cam.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Now also, quiet down in this thread and keep the non sponsored guys off the board.
Sorry brother.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Launching!

where is trevor johnson located i know in rowllett but whats the shop name?
Old 10-07-2006, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bigpappasz28
trevor johnson cylider heads i think.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:12 AM

ooh **** there is another trevor johnson that is my name too, im gonna have to get him to do my heads when it comes time
Old 10-07-2006, 01:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bigpappasz28
mod-edit

he's top notch..He worked under greg good years ago..

Last edited by Brandon Boomhauer; 10-07-2006 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

keep the nonsponsor info out of this thread.

anyone with half a brain and google can find whoever is mentioned.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:30 AM
TECH Resident

true enough..
Old 10-07-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Smile

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
255 cfm is decent but to what extent did he get that? Hogged out runners, etc? Theres many ways to get to a certain cfm, some are more creative in their ways in getting there and keeping a good balance of runner volume vs port flow.
I have absolutely no idea. I posted numbers of the car's performance. I'll let other people figure out how they swirled. I drive the car to work, to the track, and it ran (as in idle WOT, part throttle) well. Does it matter if the heads are "hogged" out and the car runs well enough to satisfy the customer? Also, we're talking about "hogging out" a 200cc head (after "hogging"). LOL.

FWIW, I haven't seen any LSx stuff from LE, but I'm sure there's some out there. There is no way he can compete with the R&D of a shop that do heads for a series car or a professional race team. However, he offers competetive pricing/results. Patriot is another company that comes to mind, but we are talking about a DFW porter.

The thing about LE is that he will tell you to go somewhere else and spend more money if you want the best. He doesn't slam other porters, and he'll do as much or as little as you want to. It bugs me when people take a jab at him for being honest and making a living. He's a fair guy and won't come on hear dissing anyone. Please, extend the same courtesy. However, if you'd had personal experience with a car that has ran his heads and had a problem, by all means, share your info.

Lastly, we are talking about head porters. Has anyone ever taken a ported set of heads to someone and had the person say "Dang, someone ported these heads WAY better than I could do. Check out those awesome runners and killer SSR. Even that valve job looks amazing!" Come on man, these guys are the worst about that stuff .

Ryan

EDIT: Are we not allowed to mention anyone that isn't a sponsor? Is LE a sponsor?

Last edited by 96-speed; 10-07-2006 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think people get hung up on numbesr too much when dealing with forced induction. I've seen the guy that owns the fastest DR car, welding the **** out of his heads, grinding them, then go set the world record that weekend. I don't think he went to SAM or even owns a flowbench. The heads on that car are 10 years old..lol

Do you really think it matters THAT much..lol.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by turbo'd stang
I think people get hung up on numbesr too much when dealing with forced induction. I've seen the guy that owns the fastest DR car, welding the **** out of his heads, grinding them, then go set the world record that weekend. I don't think he went to SAM or even owns a flowbench. The heads on that car are 10 years old..lol

Do you really think it matters THAT much..lol.

lets see..... stock heads for a 346 either flow 220 or 240 ish at .600 lift or so. ported heads can flow between 270-310 for a 346 non forced induction setup..... what is the big freakin difference in a 298 head vs a 310 head at .600 lift... maybe 5 horses?? Is it really worth the money? when swirl, runner length/volume, compression, and midlift numbers are the real concern.

I feel that hogged vs effective swirl/larger valved heads are the real power maker. you cant have tremendous cfm numbers without hogging the heads and reducing velocity....... what do I know. I believe that AFR is one of the few companies that can truely produce the results for the money spent. Both tremendous flow bench numbers along with great swirl, midlift, runner volume etc......... gotta pay to play. I gained around 35-40 horses with 5.3's and only 298 lift at .600....... I am happy with it considering they where dirt cheap. Could I have gotten another 10-15 horses?? yeah..... but why pay over 1k for em? my .02 cents.

you guys with racecars...... spend the dime.... call a local pro, buy from AFR/TEA/ET or whoever you see fit...... meanwhile budget heads for a street car sounds good...... Maybe when i get a 408 or 382 etc I will be looking for a local pro, AFRetc setup.

Kudos.

Quick Reply: Any Good Head Porters In Dfw?