My experiences with Owen Priest and Advanced Racing Dynamics VERY LONG AND VERY BAD

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default checking grounds

Originally Posted by jdoyle
well the motor has been in (thanks anyways mikey!!)for about 1500 miles with a super badass tune and has been running better than i could have imagined (THANKS LME AND T56REBUILDS), i have recently developed some sort of electrical problem:

i was drivin on saturday night on i-35 right outside of texas state university and then the gauges went crazy, started bucking and chucking all crazy and then it just died.

anyone have any idea what could be wrong? i would check the grounds but i dont have any tools with me that could help out.

Anyone in the San Marcos/ATX/SA area available to lend a tech junkie a helping hand and some tools?? I would really appreciate any help guys!
Well I had a simular thing happen to me but in a Beretta. One time it was the power wires going to the starter came off and were flapping around and my gauges went crazy and the car would backfire and die and then it would start back all while going down the road. The second time my alternator went completely out and the speedometer wouldnt read right and would fluctuate around and such, but the car didn't completely die until it used all of the battery power. An easy way to check grounds though is to take an Ohm Meter if you have one, if not they are usually inexpensive $25 or $30 for a digital one that would serve its purpose.
1. Turn off the key to the car and go and unhook the negative terminal from the battery.
2. Take the negative lead from the Ohm Meter and hold it to the negative terminal of the battery
3. Go to the Underhood fusebox first and start by taking a fuse out one at a time and stick the positive lead of the Ohm Meter down in either of the holes that the fuse came out of.
4. You should NOT read any Voltage, if you do then you've found out where the ground is.
5. If you cant find a ground in the underhood fusebox, then you'll probably have to get a piece of wire small enough to fit into the fuse holes and long enough to reach inside of your car.
6. Tape the negative lead of the Ohm Meter to the battery since you wont be able to hold it there and then check for the ground inside of the car by yourself (would be easier if you had someone just help you though)
7. Do the same thing as #3 says
8. If you do find the ground and it goes to multiple things, then you'll have to just trace the wires and look for nicks, burnt places, bare wire, make sure none of the wires are loose, etc...

I hope this helps, but if not then it could be several other things you may have to go to good mechanic. But to save money try and do it yourself first. Oh yeah make sure you dont have any plug wires or the coil pack, Opti, or whatever it may be arching if you can actually get the car to start, they may be arching or grounding and may have actually destroyed your computer.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:28 AM
Staging Lane

I have my car at ARD and it is a 1992 Camaro with an LS1 installed by Owen & Jay. First off, I would like to say that over the years I have gone to several shops here in Houston to have a motor swap because I had a very slow 305 TBI. Every shop I went to wanted $8000-$10000 dollars for a stock LT1 install, engine only. And one of the shops who is a sponsor on this site refused to even talk about working on my car because they only worked on 93 and newer fbodies, and I was willing to pay for a custom install. Then I came upon Jay posting on a thirdgen site and had the oppurtunity to go to ARD for a car meet and ride in his LS1 powered camaro . Ten minutes later I was in the office with Owen discussing prices and options and I was so impressed that my car was dropped off 2 weeks later. It started off as a stock motor install but I got an itch to add other things to the motor, built transmission, complete suspension and at no time did Owen complain about the extra work. I believe Owen has great customer service skills and that he and Jay have done ALOT of custom work on my car and this includes countless hours of cleaning crap in the engine bay from the car sitting for 3 years. I have personally seen the hours Owen and Jay put in and I am very impressed at how much they work. I even recommended a coworker's cousin to ARD and he was very impressed. Sorry for the long post but I also felt that the people having good experiences should let everybody know. I'm also sorry that you had a bad outcome to your situation.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

stroked383z, thank you, i will try that soon.

red92ls1, i am very glad for you, unfortunately i cannot say the same, ever since my car came out of that shop i have been under the hood more than i have been in the driverseat, even when i am paying someone else to do the work for me.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crAzy95Z28
you dont remember me off of tanner. I have the silver Z with a big cam that sounded very loud?

My name was Randy. ANd you raced that guy from outside of your car and chased him down, but still lost lol. It was some 4 banger.

and if you want to set something up. It will be heads up dig gas on gas!!

and too bad if you are still on street tires.

Sounds good to me.....Let me get the botle filled and we got a race.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:41 AM
10 Second Club

Boy, a lawyer would have a field day with all the publc slander of a named individual in this thread........just fyi
Old 10-17-2006, 09:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by regal
Boy, a lawyer would have a field day with all the publc slander of a named individual in this thread........just fyi
Old 10-17-2006, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think its fair to say by reading this thread there was a good amount of bad work done, and for a couple people there was good work too. I've never personally had any work done by this shop, so I have no opinion really. Since this shop is not a supporter of this site, and there's now the hint of potential legal problems, I'll just go ahead and nip it in the bud and lock the thread. I feel its probably in everyone's best interest at this point.

Quick Reply: My experiences with Owen Priest and Advanced Racing Dynamics VERY LONG AND VERY BAD