What are some of the dumbest things guys say when they are selling their cars? (anal)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006 | 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I went and test drove a car once that had an add that read: "Absolutely perfect communter car, transmission shifts great, custom stereo, may need an alignment"

and it was true, it'd be a perfect commuter car...
once you actually got a new clutch... the transmission might shift great, but you can't really do that too well without a clutch

custom stereo? a subwoofer box in the back seat held in by a seatbelt, wires ******* everywhere...

oh, and the possible need of alignment? good idea, but you'd need new tie rods, hubs, bearings, breaks, rotors and probably an A-Arm or two

I drove it for a few minutes, parked it a few blocks away because I didn't care to drive it further, and walked back to my car and left

craigs list for the lose
Old 10-27-2006 | 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by will69camaro
I liked one i saw on here recently. "Car has never been raced, has a problem getting into third sometimes at redline."

William
Old 10-27-2006 | 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

Hahaha My Favorite Is.....

When They Tell You Its Something Its Not.....like Oh Yeah Its Got A Cam...and Its Sounds Bone Stock!!!

Or Like They Make Some Bullshit Call...like Oh Yeah It Has Headers...and Then U Look And It Has Manifolds
Old 10-27-2006 | 01:06 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

been looking at ads lately (no surprise). I'm going to say THE most annoying thing ever is:

"Call for Price"

Whenever I read that, I say F-U and keep looking. Post the stupid price if you want to sell something, idiots!!!!
Old 10-27-2006 | 01:49 PM
That's what she said...

"It's had some rear end work done"

My car had ******* 3.08 gears when I bought it, found out few months later.

I bought it from a "put gas in it and go" woman, and the throwout bearing was WRECKED, imagine that.
Old 10-27-2006 | 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
been looking at ads lately (no surprise). I'm going to say THE most annoying thing ever is:

"Call for Price"

Whenever I read that, I say F-U and keep looking. Post the stupid price if you want to sell something, idiots!!!!

that's the **** taht's annoying as hell, specially when you know it's going to either be A) RETARDLY over priced or B) "welp i have it in the market and was testing the water.....wha you have to trade?"

OMFG the oens that want to trade are the ones that know they cant get **** for a car and are just trying to get rid of their **** for something that's worth somethin!!
Old 10-27-2006 | 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What about car has nitrous system but never sprayed on ... lol
Old 10-27-2006 | 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

another one is, "All original motor, 90k miles on the car and 20k on the motor!''
Old 10-27-2006 | 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

Alright people I win this one, before we got the Z we were looking at TA and the owner told us it had a "better cam" but, couldn't show it to us because the engine was dirty! WTF? Yup, poor guy.
Old 10-27-2006 | 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
"never driven in rain" does make a difference. My black WS6 Formula was never driven in the rain until I bought it. It only had 9,900 sunny day miles on it. The car was up on a lift when I picked it up, and the underside was spotless. Just like a brand new car off the assembly line. All of the suspension pieces, etc... were spotless. Even the inner fenders, exhaust system, k-member, every nut and bolt...were spotless.

Washing a car gets it wet, but doesn't plaster the underside with dirty water marks and mud. Driving it in the rain does. That is what they mean by "never driven in rain".

I crack up when I read "Lady Owned". Everyone knows that most women don't maintain cars like an enthusiast would, and just put gas in them and go. If anything, I'd rather see "Enthusiast Owned".

im pretty sure that the same can be accomplished by washing the underside of the car with a high pressure gun, I seen it done and you can see a difference. WOW less than 10k on that formy is cool, I can see why it would be as clean as you say.
Old 10-27-2006 | 03:25 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Originally Posted by regorih383
im pretty sure that the same can be accomplished by washing the underside of the car with a high pressure gun, I seen it done and you can see a difference. WOW less than 10k on that formy is cool, I can see why it would be as clean as you say.
Sure, you can clean the underside of a car, but who has the time or desire to do so, unless it is a showcar? It would require wiping down the entire underside of the car, to get all the water spots off. No thanks!
Old 10-27-2006 | 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

technically a car COULD have never seen water.....http://www.waterlesscarwash.com.au/
Old 10-27-2006 | 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Personally, I'm tired of all the people who never made it to English class...

The car is For SALE and you really need to SELL it.
Not, For Sell, Must Sale.
It's become very common.
Old 10-27-2006 | 03:49 PM
12 Second Club

ok.. check this out. I get interest in a 2001 or 02 silver SS, seemed like a really good deal so It caught my eye on autotrader. Talked to the owner through emails and such. Well turns out.. and here's the dumbest thing guys say when selling their cars.

me "so you'll take 17,000 correct"

owner "yeah, that's my list price"

me "can I come check it out"

owner "I gotta take off the lid, tb, grill, rims" All kinds of BS

Who list a car for a certain price and then change it from what is seen in the pictures and says they gotta start taking parts off. And trying to deal with you like.. ok if i put the lid on the total is then....blah blah.
Old 10-27-2006 | 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've seen a lambo owner quote that he doesn't even really get the car wet with water. (partially because of the open engine cover) I forget what exactly he did, but he even claimed to floss the suspsension coils and anything you can imagine everytime he drove it, and that was never in the rain. He rarely drove it, because if he did, he would force himself to do this every single time after coming home. I can't even imagine...I'd hire somebody if I was that ****.
Old 10-27-2006 | 05:08 PM

Value

People that cant figure out their car depreciated, I remember that bothered me the most when I looked for my TA years back. I would look at Trans AM GTAs and the guy would be like I paid this much for it when it was new so I want this much for it, mother ****** the car kinda depreciated since Regan was our president. You try to use market value and their like no, you wont find one cleaner.

Back to stock

I dont know whats worse, looking at some thing thats been modded or put back to stock. I looked at like a 94 Z28, sold by the time I got there, but it had a set of shorties, borla, clutch all done by like MTI, didnt worry me to much. But then you look at these cars that were home built and put back to stock, kinda unsettling because I know friedns that put cars back to stock when they sold them and I would not want any thing to do with them.
Old 10-27-2006 | 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love it when I (or a friend) go to buy a lifted truck and the previous owner says its never been off-road... Either he's full of ****, or he's telling the truth, in which I wouldnt buy it because its never been "tested"
Old 10-27-2006 | 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TchargedLS1TA
I love it when I (or a friend) go to buy a lifted truck and the previous owner says its never been off-road... Either he's full of ****, or he's telling the truth, in which I wouldnt buy it because its never been "tested"

Oh. My. God.

Your god damn mother ******* avatar.

...... I hate you
Old 10-27-2006 | 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brian2006
Oh. My. God.

Your god damn mother ******* avatar.

...... I hate you
???? Did I miss something????
Old 10-27-2006 | 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One of my friends was going to buy a daily driver (CRX) which is what I have for my beater. The guy told him that it burned a quart a week, and that was with only driving back and forth to work about 50 miles a week. Then he told me that the car was old, and that was normal. I told him that any car that has 140k miles on it and burns that much oil has serious problems.