Zo6,m5,m6

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started out in engineering, made the grades to continue .. but didn't like the classes or the material. I switched to economics and have loved it ever since. I'm T-17 days to graduation, and about a week out from making my decision on what job i'm going to take after grad.

Go to school for something that interests you, but will also allow you / qualify you to get a job you'll be interested in as well. It will make both your college experience and the rest of your life much more enjoyable if you enjoy (at least don't despise) what you choose.

I've got friends w/ engineering degrees and they're getting very high offers. Petroleum engineers can pretty much pick their own destiny right now since they're in such high demand.
Aside from the engineering degrees, your next highest income bracket will probably fall in sales ... which has the opportunity for very high returns, but also has the possibility of very little since its based off of commission. Depends on the person and their drive to suceed in what they do.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FstBlkz28
your next highest income bracket will probably fall in sales ... which has the opportunity for very high returns, but also has the possibility of very little since its based off of commission. Depends on the person and their drive to suceed in what they do.
this is so true, there are alot of sales jobs out there and they will hire just about anyone, but the ones that make the money are the persistant ones that want it.

With a degree you can get into the mortgage industry, pharmacutical((spell check)) sales, heck just about anything really.

but its got to be something that you enjoy, you can make tons of money as an engineer or in sales or as a doctor but if you can't stand what your doing your ganna quit or get fired b/c you don't want to be there.

good luck.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

I am 2 1/2 years into a Mechanical engineering degree, but I dropped out to pursue a $100K+ year job in the oil & gas industry. Only regret is not having anything to fall back on.... so think about that if you decide to drop out for the money. If you jump into an industry, be sure to apply for a job with special skills, so that you will be in demand at a later time as well.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:45 PM
01z
TECH Regular

be a roughneck or an alaskan crap fisherman, they are ballers
Old 11-28-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My advice...
You have to possess dedication and pride in your work to succeed in any field you so choose.
A degree is almost a must nowadays, but can be overcome with dedication and hard work.
I'm in the commercial mortgage field and I guess you could say I make rather good money.
Good money is such a relative term nowadays.
Whatever you start, always finish, hence college for example.
Good luck in whatever you pursue.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

in high school i got certs in welding, decided to not use them, i started school in high preformance motors at nothrwest of ohio, decied i couldnt do that for a living and was wasting my time. dropped out, started mowing grass making about 1000 a week, but spending a **** load in gas, mowers, labor everyhting. sold off what i could, moved to texas to try to start back up in school and i just cant do it. i cant learn sitting in a class room, so im trying to get back in to welding, maybe in alaska. i donno, i still donno how i wanna spend my life and im almost 21, time to start thinkin about this i guess
Old 11-28-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Work smart and not hard. Do something better than someone else, all the time. Come up with something nobody else has. I'm trying to avoid having to finish out college.

If you want to really roll big and enjoy what you do, working for yourself is the way to go.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:03 AM
Launching!

Patience is the best education. Don't go nuts on a $50K salary and dig a hole you can never escape. Also depends on how long you want to stay in school. Just about the best salary an education can buy is law school (provided you get a big firm job), starting salary is $140K...4-5 years in, $200K. That's 3 years of post-secondary education, so it's a bit of an investment, but you can also do your own thing at any time. Definitely not for everybody, but something to consider. Bad news is that you may not have lots of time to enjoy your toys .
Old 11-29-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bad Blu Formula
Drug trafficing
This comming from a columbian

Anyways, I tried the mech eng thing, it wasnt for me....I suck at math and thats a large portion of the required classes. So im not doing the geosciences thing. Ill be happy as long as its a BS becuase nothing else really intrest me.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Open up a Dominos pizza. That will for sure bring in hefty cash.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come on now!! Everybody knows the best GROWTH industry is ****!! Don't let anybody stop your dreams!!
Old 11-29-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
Open up a Dominos pizza. That will for sure bring in hefty cash.
If its in a college town, damn near any food place will bring in a lot of cash.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:19 PM
10-Second Club

You can make crazy money in medical professions also, CRNA makes around 125k+ a year & you work easy hours....you just put people to sleep before they have surgery....or be a radiologist, my client is one & he was making over 400k a year & he was rather young. Heck, I know RN (nurses that get paid over 80k a year with some experience....and knock it if you want, but think of all the chics you'll meet at work & the potential to meet/hook up with a doctor.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I got an itch for some sick cars, thats what is drove me to go back to school. Wasted 2 years of my life at ITT and starting over to either to go into medical to be a ******* Focker or maybe engineer. Even though I guess I have a pretty good job, I dont see a BMW M6 or Z06 in my garage anytime soon. And I cant stand ITT comercials, so much f***ing bullshit and so lame.

Yes a CRNA is no doubt awesome, but need some serious schooling and very much worth it I think.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, ITT Tech is a giant toilet just waiting to recieve your money!
Old 12-12-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Pimp

Start your own pyramid scam..
Old 12-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Launching!

I can't say it's the safest route and it is a lot of hours but a process technician/operator is a good job to get right now. Most of the money comes from overtime, but it's a two year degree you can get at community college. Some people get it done in one year. You really dont do a whole lot as an operator if your plant is continuous batch which most of the petroleum plants are. And starting pay can range up to $31/hr. Plus they are in very high demand right now. My friend who is also 21 just got a job at bp and although he is working 14 on 1 off he is making around 10,000 a month. Also an operator is something like an entry level position you could move to almost any department of the plant and end up on salary over 100,000/yr.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default job

professional baseball
Old 12-12-2006, 11:33 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jhug
Do what you want to do. Don't pick a major just because you think it's going to pay well.
True. Even hookers get paid WELL.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I wont bs around I did not buy either one of my cars my dad hooked me up. Get a job doing what you want. I design bulk materials handeling equipment, mainly for the cement industry. I love my job, and you can't beat the pay. After I'm done with school I'll be making around $450,000.00-$1,000,000.00 a year, but it is all commision so you get what you put in. Also my plan is no wife/kids etc. I just want to stay single so I can do what I want.

Thomas