Dallas/Irving Emissions Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dallas/Irving Emissions Question

My company has an open position that I am considering in the Dallas/Irving area. No state income tax, moderate home prices and decent weather all look good But, I'm a little afraid about the emissions situation. My understanding is that they do an OBD scan, visual and sniffer test. I have no cats, no air injection, ported LS6 heads and a 224/228 111+2 cam. I also have HP tuners and have tuned out all codes. Are there "friendly" places that will pass you, regardless of mods, for a reasonable cost? Worst case scenario, I suppose I could put cats on for the test. AIR only runs at start-up, so as long as the car is up to temperature, that won't effect the sniffer reading...however, would it fail the visual without AIR? Please feel free to PM me if you'd rather not post on the open forum.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 12-01-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are always ways....
Old 12-01-2006, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

You will be ok... Irving is very friendly..
Old 12-01-2006, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I Thought that sniffer tests were only for cars older than OBDII? You can put "Fake" visual cats on. All of my codes are tuned out as well, I only had one "not ready" on the test but it wasn't the all important code. Got my car inspected at a KWik Kar here in Crowly in Nov....you shouldn 't have a problem.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

Your car is a 99 so all they do is hook up to the computer and do a visual. A lot of the time if the computer passes they don't even look under the car for CATS. Mine passed no problem. 97 Z28 with no AIR, EGR, CATS and for some reason the EVAP system read N/A and they passed it. Just have to know where to go and make sure your computer is tuned correctly to read ready instead of N/A.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they only do OBDII test and in theory, the visual test. in my 10 years of driving a car, i have never once had someone crawl under the car to do a visual test.

as long as you arent throwing a code, and all your 'ready' flags are set (they can check that at autozone), then you will pass. if you are really concerned about the visual test, use your head when picking shops, and get a feel for how by-the-book they are.

when i got the sticker on my 88 (which has the AIR ripped out and all kinds of stuff unhooked), i flat out asked the shop "the car is my project car and is a work in progress... thus not everything is hooked up. it'll pass the sniffer (OBDI), but if you are going to be very by-the-book as far as what you see on the car, then let me know and we wont waste eachother's time" i got it inspected no problem.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dallas proper is a non attainment zone. Irving is not. It makes a difference. I live in Houston - another non attainment zone. They nearly failed me for gas cap which they are required to test, but did not really look around other than that - including my VIN was different from my insurance ( I wrecked one, replaced it).

They will test your gascap for pressurization in a non attainment zone. Make sure yours is in good shape or you have a backup. If what they routinely check for is good, you will probably be fine.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Teching In

What about engine swaps in Dallas County? I just picked up a '93 RX-7 with an LS-1 under the hood and I need to get it inspected. I'm thinking most places wouldn't know a rotary (or a 3rd gen RX-7) if they saw one, and I wonder if they will balk at seeing a non-Mazda motor under the hood...
Old 12-10-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

just come down to south irving....know alittle spanish and you got it made