So...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So...

after 5 years away.. im thinking of comming back to the dark side.
having a tough time deciding though.

C5 VS f-body. Both have their advantages. C5= nicer over all, but im looking at 8-12k for a nice 00ish f-body or almost 10k more for the same year C5 coupe/frc.
If i drag race IMO the fbody is better. 9inch or 12 bolt etch. C5 would be nicer to drive around in, handle and stop better. and because if weight, would have an advantage in the odd highway "spirited driving adventure"...

i doubt most of you even rememebr who i am from back in the day.. but what do you think about car choice? Pros... cons?
Old 12-05-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh ... some of us remember vividly ...

Why don't you give road racing a shot? Trust me ... nothing compares.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:39 AM
11 Second Club

I still love drag racing, but Ive taken some rides with some people who could really turn corners (road racing) I think 1 of the rides was with mitch at the motorsport ranch at the drivers edge!! GREAT TIME!!!
Old 12-05-2006, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Could be ... with a helmet on, all you passengers look alike.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Mitch.. realisitcally.. how does your f-body do against the C5/c6 guys on a road course? do you still have the white Ta? raced chuck norris recently?
Old 12-05-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

LOL ... Chuck Norris ... I had forgotten about that.

I sold the 98 about 6 months ago. It was just sitting in the back of the shop gathering welding dust. I had just finished putting together a bullet proof motor and had Jason at TDP do the rear and trans. It was a nice car and well sorted for the road course.

I now have a '96 TA that I turned into a CMC road race car. All stock motor, restricted to 230 RWHP (not a typo ...), spec tire, mostly stock type suspension, light weight ...

At MSR-C, in the hands of a decent driver, I can hold my own with a Hoosier shod C5, Z06 or a C6. A C6 ZO6 ... no way ... those cars are animals. I have made a few Porsche and BMW guys a little angry when I out brake and turn them. Lotus Elise is a tough little car that will gain about 3 or 4 cars lengths on me each lap.

Cost? I built my dedicated car for under $8K. In 3 years, I've bought 3 sets of tires and 2 sets of brakes and 1 alternator. Other than oil changes and fuel .., that's it.

CMC is a great series.

And no offense meant to you drag racers ... really. But after one time at a road course, I sold all my drag racing stuff. A solid 20 minute rush and no trashed diffs or transmissions ...
Old 12-05-2006, 11:19 AM
11 Second Club

Isnt the competition mostly driving skills in road racing?? Ya mitch I lived in granbury, and had that loud *** white Z28 and hung out with brian prater!
Old 12-05-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh yeah ... the guy who had the other white TA and caused me to get pulled over all the time.

I guess you couls say that.

A great object lesson for me was once, in my 98 at MSR-C, I had a 4 door Saturn ITB(?) car lap me twice in a 30 minute session.

A great driver can make any car fast.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Yes, there are some old guys on here who still remember hanging with you.

If you ask me, I'd say get a Vette, but I use it for a lot more than racing. In fact, I haven't raced at all for various reasons since I got rid of the Trans Am. I couldn't wear a helmet in the Z06, but I can in the C6 thanks to the removable top. I often regret getting rid of the Trans Am because I would have turned that car into a dedicated weekend racer. It was almost paid for.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Teching In

Do some of us remember you.......

**** you clown!
Old 12-06-2006, 02:08 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Damn, here is an old schooler!

The only C5 I'd look into is a used Z06. That is if you can resist the urge to go drag racing all the time. They aren't very fun to launch. The f-body is more like a rowdy musclecar that you can build to handle some good power. The Corvette is more refined and delicate, and likes to break even with expensive parts on it.

Bang for the buck, f-body hands down. Especially on today's used market, there are TONS of them around for low bucks.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mitchntx
LOL ... Chuck Norris ... I had forgotten about that.

I sold the 98 about 6 months ago. It was just sitting in the back of the shop gathering welding dust. I had just finished putting together a bullet proof motor and had Jason at TDP do the rear and trans. It was a nice car and well sorted for the road course.

I now have a '96 TA that I turned into a CMC road race car. All stock motor, restricted to 230 RWHP (not a typo ...), spec tire, mostly stock type suspension, light weight ...

At MSR-C, in the hands of a decent driver, I can hold my own with a Hoosier shod C5, Z06 or a C6. A C6 ZO6 ... no way ... those cars are animals. I have made a few Porsche and BMW guys a little angry when I out brake and turn them. Lotus Elise is a tough little car that will gain about 3 or 4 cars lengths on me each lap.

Cost? I built my dedicated car for under $8K. In 3 years, I've bought 3 sets of tires and 2 sets of brakes and 1 alternator. Other than oil changes and fuel .., that's it.

CMC is a great series.

And no offense meant to you drag racers ... really. But after one time at a road course, I sold all my drag racing stuff. A solid 20 minute rush and no trashed diffs or transmissions ...

i want to get into road courses as soon as i graduate college! that a way i will have some extra money to spend on my car