Vidor, Texas

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GOHOME
Do they like Indians in Vidor?
I dunno, come see so I can check out that car of yours.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SAI
Isn't Vidor the KKK headquarters for Texas?
There's been so many rumor's and speculation about Vidor, Tx. And all of this stem's from Vidor being an all-white town, nothing more. I'm sure this thread is bound to get off track.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:03 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBlue
There's been so many rumor's and speculation about Vidor, Tx. And all of this stem's from Vidor being an all-white town, nothing more. I'm sure this thread is bound to get off track.

I'm from there, and my whole family lives there. It's inhabited by a good mix of nice well-off folks, as well as the epitome of white-trash in selected areas. Nobody can dispute this.

Now, when driving through town, going to a gas station, McDonalds, walmart etc. You will be VERY hardpressed to find someone who isn't white. It's quite strange the first time you really notice it. This racial makeup doesn't mean that everyone who lives in the town is racist does it? I've heard stories of seeing Klan protests on the side of the road, and I know it happens there, but I don't know a single person who has ever been associated with it.

Just like every other news report, they are not interested in showing the other 95% of the townspeople on TV who have all their teeth and don't think black people are the devil.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:27 PM
Launching!

vidor is the poster town for the kkk but in all reality there is towns to the north of vidor that is 100% worse. Vidor just get the bad press cause of cnn. Ive met alot of good people from vidor ive personally never seen any racism in vidor besides the racism we see everyday everywhere
Old 12-27-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

I do business in East Texas and can vouch that I have not experienced any outward racism towards me. I've stopped at the local Walmart and although I was the only minority it didn't bother me any and nobody harassed me. I think in todays society racism is more hidden/suppressed, however, I like to think the best of people(my utopian outlook on life). As with everyone I like folks to look at me as an overall good person first and hopefully if they have a problem with the way my skin looks then pity for them. I think it's a little sad that this is still an issue in today's society especially with other social issues that are affecting us and unfortunately our children(poverty,adequate healthcare,etc.)
Old 12-27-2006, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
lol, I know several non-white friends of mine joke about not stopping to get gas in Vidor if they have to pass through it on I-10. Also, that billboard sign about some guy killing some girl is a little disturbing to see.
I was going to comment on that, seen that sign about 5 yrs ago...
Old 12-27-2006, 09:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SAI

No, they are way to disorganized. They only have 3K or so members nation wide
Old 12-27-2006, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Yeah, that was brutal and horrible. Maybe I shouldn't drive through Jasper with my truck (see plates)

Old 12-29-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm curious as to the average age of the people posting in this thread...

Being a black man as well as being born and raised in southeast Houston, I can rest assure you that some of the press Vidor is getting is not unwarranted. I treat Vidor the same way I treat Alvin. Bacliff, Santa Fe...and that list can go on. Just because you don't see the protest the way you did in the 60's and what not doesn't mean that the ignorant hate that is in people's hearts has suddenly dissappated. People get stuff ingrained in their head and it's not so easy to let go.

Just for reference, just a couple short years ago my brother and I found ourselves in the middle of a KKK rally driving down highway 6 in Alvin. Tha chit hasn't gone anywhere and if you believe it has your a fool.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by The Big Show
People get stuff ingrained in their head and it's not so easy to let go.
More people are quiet about it now, that is the only thing thats changed. People that stupid and ignorant, 5 minutes of talking to them their prety easy to figure out. Most are poor, never left an imediate area of where they have lived in their life.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

There is racist of every color alot of places. Not just KKK but Black panthers etc! Not just all about white. There is areas a white or hispanic cannot go. So we ALL need to realize how it really is. As for Vidor, I was raised in Orange. Not all people there are racist. It is funny, the ones who make the most noise are usually the trouble makers. Good people just live life! It is our responsibiltiy as parents to raise OUR children in the right manor to not be racist. It starts at the home!

Peace to all of Gods children, which is everyone!
Old 12-29-2006, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Agreed, it's supressed, not necessarily gone. My white *** was born and raised (to 18 when I escaped) in Center, TX, my Mom was from Jasper. My wife is black. I rarely get back to that part of the country, but we both like the country and are trying to find a house in the country somewhere for a weekend getaway, but I feel better down the Austin way than in the country I know.

We get some looks, but I'm big, mean bastard, so that keeps the nuts at bay. Best part is when some retard from this area that I haven't seen in 15 years spouts out the "N" word casually...then I let him know my wife is black, and I can beat him to death without breaking a sweat...makes it clear we're not buddies anymore. I understand if somebody feels that way, but they don't get to do it around me. It's not right, but it does exist, and it can run deep.

Getting my own family used to the idea was hard enough...don't think those feelings are gone or going anytime soon in the general rural public...especially those areas that are closed off from the rest of society.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

My dad was raised in Vidor. I go there once a year for christmas.. Though I hate it. The town is pretty racist. My dad said they had the largest klan membership in texas there(nobody in our family was a member though!), a klan store on a main street, and then, as if to try and make the town not seem as racist as it is, he added that "They have a black boy going to school there now".. _A_ black boy.

All I know is that when I was 12(like 8 years or so ago) I had my picture taken there in vidor in front of the "Good ol' boy's car wash", the walls of which are painted like a rebel flag.

-Lurius
Old 12-29-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SAI
The NATIONAL highest member count is where? Indiana. lol. History prof. told the class oneday that the largest concentration of KKK members is in Indiana.. Not as far south as you'd think!

-Lurius
Old 12-29-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1

I've heard stories of seeing Klan protests on the side of the road, and I know it happens there, but I don't know a single person who has ever been associated with it.

LOL. How would you really know , since they have sheets over their heads? (seriously). Most people are probably not going to let people know they are associted with something like that. Folks like that are often the type to smile in your face even though they are a certain way.

These days, that is really how alot of bigots are. They will come and act like they really believe people are equal = ...... when they are in front of you , and may even post on threads like this one, acting like they are AGAINST racism,.... even though they might have been standing on the side of the road under one of those sheets.... or at least have that same mind set.

I have have seen it over the years from certain people on this forum(ls1tech) by the things they say in some of their post. It always comes out.

I can tell you right know from what I have seen from the years that I have been on this forum, there are some folks on LS1TECH.com that seem decent , and then there are those that should not EVEN THINK of walking up to me at the track or a cruise night.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:52 PM

If your in the Klan, you have serious mental problems because no one with a some what functionin brain could even believe in half the **** they want to acomplish. But i do agree, I bet those people would smile in your face if they ever met you and try to act as normal as possible.

Originally Posted by Lurius
The NATIONAL highest member count is where? Indiana. lol. History prof. told the class oneday that the largest concentration of KKK members is in Indiana.. Not as far south as you'd think!

-Lurius

That was a very long time ago, it eventually fell apart. The Klan historically falls apart, if you ever wacth the history channel stuff on them you see that.

Last edited by BizZzatch350; 12-29-2006 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Things are there in Vidor rather people want to admit it or not, rather some people have been exposed to it or not. I think that for the most part the younger crowd has not seen or been exposed to it or as much because of the P.C. state that we all live in now. But that doesn’t mean its gone, just not all out in the open as it once was.

I know a few great people from Vidor that I consider close friends. Then I know a few people I would rather not say I knew after getting to see their true side & views. I didn’t think they were like that or thought like that when I first met them, just found out later after getting to know them better.

BUT with that said, I think that is pretty much everywhere not just Vidor or small towns. There are good people and there are bad people no matter where you go or live or visit in the world.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lurius
My dad was raised in Vidor. I go there once a year for christmas.. Though I hate it. The town is pretty racist. My dad said they had the largest klan membership in texas there(nobody in our family was a member though!), a klan store on a main street, and then, as if to try and make the town not seem as racist as it is, he added that "They have a black boy going to school there now".. _A_ black boy.

All I know is that when I was 12(like 8 years or so ago) I had my picture taken there in vidor in front of the "Good ol' boy's car wash", the walls of which are painted like a rebel flag.

-Lurius

actually, there are more than 1 African American students roaming the halls of VHS, and how do I know this? I'm a managaer at McDonalds in Vidor and have a bunch of High School kids working for me, So I hear about pretty much everything that goes on at the school if I want to or not..and as far as the 'Good Ol' Boys" car wash...that wa torn down years ago and is now just an empty lot
Old 12-30-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GreatWhiteZ28
..and as far as the 'Good Ol' Boys" car wash...that wa torn down years ago and is now just an empty lot
Lol, dident know that!

-Lurius

Quick Reply: Vidor, Texas