Vidor, Texas

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Vidor, Texas

Anyone live there or near....sounds like a real nice,quiet, Racist town...just saw CNN do a segment on it...just wondering..[seriously]....XMAS AND ALL....."Good will to all Men" ...and so on.....
Old 12-26-2006, 07:36 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I dont think its as bad as any other small Texas town. Every small town in the south would be considered racist in its past. The Mayor had a good point, most of the people were saying their bad experiences were 20+ years ago. If your not white, theirs a lot of towns in Texas you woulda have had problems in back then. I'm sure theres some fire to the smoke, probably with older generations, but thats the way they were brought up to think, most of them probably have never left that imediate area I bet. Theres towns worse or just as bad as Vidor, its not the only one in Texas or the south for that matter or the the rest country. My dad was an engineer on the power plant project in the DFW area back in the really early 80s, he was saying even back then a lot of people were backwards as hell. Thats probably only 20 some thing years ago. Racism is every where, its just chicken **** how people try and hide the way the feel. Get people in the right company after a couple beers and you would be suprised as to what people really think.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

That was setup by CNN..they were talking about it on the radio..103.7 how they went and got some people to say something's..I know that the town had a meeting about it and something happened where the end up having meeting about the town in Beaumont..Didn't really get the whole things..but its not that bad...as it used to be..live in Beaumont for a while , when I was going to college...Now Lumberton..that maybe a different story..or it was in the late 90's..but if you try hard enough you can find theses people in any town..
Old 12-26-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

YEAH ,,,,you are probably right...was just wondering if anyone one here actually lived there......
Old 12-26-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Regular

I still live within a hour or so of there
Old 12-26-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by joshtownsend
That was setup by CNN..they were talking about it on the radio..103.7 how they went and got some people to say something's..I know that the town had a meeting about it and something happened where the end up having meeting about the town in Beaumont..Didn't really get the whole things..but its not that bad...as it used to be..live in Beaumont for a while , when I was going to college...Now Lumberton..that maybe a different story..or it was in the late 90's..but if you try hard enough you can find theses people in any town..
I was talking to BIZ350----you sound much younger and probably do not even realize what went on in the U.S. even just in the 70's.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:49 PM
Ginger Hater

echo.......i didn't see the spot on CNN, and there's worse towns out there.....hico is one. but its not the town itself its the people in the town. some of the people as stated above have been raised that way and never been out of their surroundings.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by joshtownsend
I still live within a hour or so of there
HOPEFULLY it is MUCH different than it appears on the show-----in Canada we all try to get along...seems to work 99.9% of the time....
Old 12-26-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Spazdout
echo.......i didn't see the spot on CNN, and there's worse towns out there.....hico is one. but its not the town itself its the people in the town. some of the people as stated above have been raised that way and never been out of their surroundings.
Well in Canada, people were "RAISED" to be tolerant....Most of us anyway..{i am whitey]...........
Old 12-26-2006, 07:55 PM
Ginger Hater

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
Well in Canada, people were "RAISED" to be tolerant....Most of us anyway..{i am whitey]...........

i'm from california, where you are raised to be tolorant to others unless they aren't tolerant then you have the right to not be tolerant.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check out my Location....anyways...Yeah I've lived here for about 12 years or so, my whole mothers side of the family is from here, and to be honest, I don't ever see anyone that isn't white getting harrased when they stop here, But it is youre typical small Texas town with it's share of racist, but agian, where is there not racist? Alot of what was on CNN's report was from people who live im the Beaumont area, But I'm only 22 and only know so much of what has happend back in the day, I just know what goes on in todays happenings..
Old 12-27-2006, 04:08 AM
SAI
TECH Apprentice

Isn't Vidor the KKK headquarters for Texas?
Old 12-27-2006, 04:24 AM
11 Second Club

+1 to Greatwhite.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:28 AM
11 Second Club

I live about 10 minutes from there, and Greatwhite happens to be a good friend of mine, actually. I've never seen any racism with these eyes, though I'm sure there was quite a bit back in the day. As far as Vidor being the KKK capital of Tx, lol....I believe there was a running KKK stationed in Vidor back in the day, and there may very well be now, but you don't hear very much if it's still up and going. I've never really seen any people of color in Vidor, but coming from Orange, I have quite a few black friends, especially coming from my highschool, who never really batted an eye at stopping in Vidor to get a bite to eat, or to chill with some friends. I think people look at what's happened in the past, and **** gets overblown. Like a poster of this thread already stated, look hard enough and you'll find -those- kind of people everywhere, not just in small towns.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:44 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

lol, I know several non-white friends of mine joke about not stopping to get gas in Vidor if they have to pass through it on I-10. Also, that billboard sign about some guy killing some girl is a little disturbing to see.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:19 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
lol, I know several non-white friends of mine joke about not stopping to get gas in Vidor if they have to pass through it on I-10. Also, that billboard sign about some guy killing some girl is a little disturbing to see.
Then the sign accomplished it's purpose, it's intended to disturb & draw attention because of the botched Vidor Police Dept murder investigation of Kathy Page (think thats her name) whereby her husband was suspected of the murder. This had nothing to do with racism or the KKK. Your friends who joke about not stopping are just uninformed, it's a good town with an old bad rap that will never go away due to it's kkk history from a long time ago, just how life goes.

What's funny is cnn being this desperate for a segment about Vidor of all places vs Jasper where the dragging death of a black man took place few years back...thats cnn though
Old 12-27-2006, 09:42 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BRETTINATOR
What's funny is cnn being this desperate for a segment about Vidor of all places vs Jasper where the dragging death of a black man took place few years back...thats cnn though
Yeah, that was brutal and horrible. Maybe I shouldn't drive through Jasper with my truck (see plates)

Old 12-27-2006, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Yeah, that was brutal and horrible. Maybe I shouldn't drive through Jasper with my truck (see plates)

LMAO...yeah man that would be crazy! Nice truck btw.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spazdout
hico is one.
Now, just because Hico has the Kountry Kitchen Kafe in the middle of town, doesn't mean anything...

<- drives through Hico frequently, the gas station is a good place to stop & get more coffee
Old 12-27-2006, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

Do they like Indians in Vidor?

Quick Reply: Vidor, Texas