battery disposal

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default battery disposal

i got a new battery from the dealership (dont worry, didnt pay full price), and they dont do core charges... so now i have an old battery lying around.

i know the parts stores (AZ, peps, o'reillys) do core charges... but is it like soda can deposits where you get the deposit even if you didnt but it there?

if not, i need some suggestions on some nefarious plan as what to do with an old battery
Old 01-26-2007, 10:59 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take it fishing. Easy catch!
Old 01-27-2007, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just drop it in front of the auto parts store, they'll pick it up

I think its only 2 bucks to get rid of it
Old 01-27-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i'm pretty sure the city dump accepts batteries for free, but i was just wondering if any recycling programs give money for them... and if not, i need to blow something up or hook jumper cables to the cat or something.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:33 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once it gets dumped into the garbage truck, they have no way of telling where the hell it came from.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Once it gets dumped into the garbage truck, they have no way of telling where the hell it came from.
You would be surprised. Ask the guy who put a motorcycle battary in the trash that caught the truck on fire
Old 01-27-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

go to o'reillys they charge you a core when you buy the battery and then refund the money when you bring the old back. but there is a $3.00 disposal fee for tex but they are usually pretty cool and you can just drop it on the counter
Old 01-27-2007, 02:36 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by greatwhite1
You would be surprised. Ask the guy who put a motorcycle battary in the trash that caught the truck on fire
It's not a motorcycle battery though.... DUH!!!!!!!!!

That's pretty crazy. Did they track him down?
Old 01-27-2007, 04:50 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Just take it to a parts store. They should take it free of charge, and send it off to be recycled. If they try to charge you, drop it on their front porch right before getting in your car and driving off. The battey tax is on purchases of new batteies, not to recycle your old one. Charging you to recycle that battery would be near criminal.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 01-27-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matt @ SDPC
If they try to charge you, drop it on their front porch right before getting in your car and driving off.

Thats what I would do. Or walmart, those dirty *** people that mostly shop there will take that bitch before the warmth from your hands cools off of the battery
Old 01-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
It's not a motorcycle battery though.... DUH!!!!!!!!!

That's pretty crazy. Did they track him down?
They sure did, it's against the law to depose a battery or any type of hazard material in a landfill. That guy had to pay a very large fine
Old 01-28-2007, 12:34 AM
al
TECH Enthusiast

I had a battery I wanted to get rid of and asked on here a while back. I had someone respond that worked at a gas station that did auto repair and he said that they take them for a disposal charge. It was leaking acid and they still took it. They even tested it for me, why I don`t know. I`m not a big fan of the EPA because of the restrictions that are put on sport cars, but we all gotta follow the rules right???? well most of us anyway. LOL I just didn`t want to throw it in the dumpster. I do have a byou near my place and thought about that several times.LOL
Old 01-28-2007, 12:42 AM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matt @ SDPC
Just take it to a parts store. They should take it free of charge, and send it off to be recycled. If they try to charge you, drop it on their front porch right before getting in your car and driving off. The battey tax is on purchases of new batteies, not to recycle your old one. Charging you to recycle that battery would be near criminal.
I know what you mean man about charging you to get rid of somthing. It kills me when they charge you a disposal fee when you buy tires just to get rid of your old ones. All they do is send them off to be re-capped and sold in other countrys that allow re-caps or sell the rest to make other rubber products or burned as fule at some factorys. And yes I watch the show "Dirty Jobs" on the Discovery channel and thats how I got my info. You didn`t really think I did reasearch on it did you.LOL
Old 01-28-2007, 09:47 AM
BP
TECH Enthusiast

3 words, Autozone parking lot.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

Autozone will not charge you to recycle a battery, they make money off of it. So just take it to them.